Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Monkees tour yet another year after 45 years

Mickalino

The Monkees are getting together for their 45th anniversary tour, which spans the UK, US, & Canada.

Which has me thinking - is this a record ? (no pun intended)

I mean a record for the longest-running band (not necessarily consecutive)

I always thought the Rolling Stones were the current band that had been together the longest.

Do the Monkees hold that title instead ?

(waiting for one of our elder ES members to come up with a band name from the 1950's that I never heard of, and still play together in a coffee shop in wheelchairs)

Who wants to go see the Monkees ? Seriously. Waste of time for them and whoever pays to see them.

I have no idea who is the longest, but I would guess that the Temptations would have to be among the longest they have been going for 50+ years. Albeit with only one original member at this point.

The Monkees are getting together for their 45th anniversary tour, which spans the UK, US, & Canada.

Which has me thinking - is this a record ? (no pun intended)

I mean a record for the longest-running band (not necessarily consecutive)

I always thought the Rolling Stones were the current band that had been together the longest.

Do the Monkees hold that title instead ?

(waiting for one of our elder ES members to come up with a band name from the 1950's that I never heard of, and still play together in a coffee shop in wheelchairs)

There are some 50s era Doo-Wop groups who still tour.

Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons (Together since 1960) still tour, though the Four Seasons are a completely different line-up.

The Dell-Vikings (1955) tour but some members have died.

The Everly Brothers (1957) still tour.

Golden Earring (1961)

The Sonics (1960)

Herman's Hermits (1963)

The Beach Boys (1961)

The Crystals (1960)

The Swinging Blue Jeans (1962)

I'm sure there are many others.

The Monkees are and were a complete sham, devised in a Hollywood boardroom. No lie. Check out the Byrds lyrics to "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" it was written specifically about....The Monkees. It's not complimentary...in the least.

The Monkees are and were a complete sham, devised in a Hollywood boardroom. No lie. Check out the Byrds lyrics to "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" it was written specifically about....The Monkees. It's not complimentary...in the least.

So, what band was the song "Money For Nothing" written about ? :)

The Monkees are and were a complete sham, devised in a Hollywood boardroom.

Yep. But so what? For those of us who were around in 1966 when they started, it was great. Truly a different time.

Funny, because I think of Milli Vanilli and all the other lip-syncing bands that now chage $100s per ticket per show. How different is that from the "complete sham" that were the Monkees circa 1966?

Yep. But so what? For those of us who were around in 1966 when they started, it was great. Truly a different time.

Funny, because I think of Milli Vanilli and all the other lip-syncing bands that now chage $100s per ticket per show. How different is that from the "complete sham" that were the Monkees circa 1966?

Hey, you're a Backstreet Boys fan, too ??

:)

ive heard nirvana and pearl jam were put together by record companies as well.

btw, i like the monkees.

I saw the Everly Brothers live a few years ago. They are 100.

I once played poker with one of The Ink Spots. I just like sharing that.

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 09:14 PM ----------

Do you feel like you are revealing something shocking here?

The artificiality of the The Monkees is what made them kind of awesome.

The Monkees once headlined a tour in which Jimi Hendrix opened for them.

When I was 6, The Monkees was my favorite show.

~Bang

My roommate in college saw the Monkees live in Charlotte, NC when he was a young lad (prolly 10-12 years old). And he remembered seeing Hendrix as the opening act.

Pretty amazing when you think about that one...

My roommate in college saw the Monkees live in Charlotte, NC when he was a young lad (prolly 10-12 years old). And he remembered seeing Hendrix as the opening act.

Pretty amazing when you think about that one...

I'm pretty sure that the Beastie Boys opened for Madonna on either the Like A Virgin or True Blue tours. That's a strange pairing.

I've loved their music for years, used to watch the Monkees tv show every damn day when I was a kid up in Boston. Even saw them at Wolf Trap back in 86 on the "then and now" tour. But these day's I woudn't even consider seeing them without Mike Nesmith. His songs were just great. My favorite song is "What am I doing hanging round" . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAELBIX5vc

Didn't they sing Unchained Melody ?

I doubt they can hit the high notes in that one anymore

Nope, they sang this little ditty.

-5iJMfwwheY

I was born in the same small little town the grew up in, Shenandoah, Iowa. Some obscure bands named The Beach Boys and The Beatles cite them as huge influences.

Who cares? A lot of artists have other people write their songs for them. Neil Diamond has written music for half of the artists alive, it seems (my friend has an album where he sings the songs he wrote for others... his rendition of "Red Red Wine" is kind of wrong, somehow), including the Monkees.

The show was funny, and the music was pretty good too.

Also, the fact that they were created for a TV show is kind of the point, as has been noted.

But these day's I woudn't even consider seeing them without Mike Nesmith.

I agree that it's not the same without Mike Nesmith. As I understand it, his mother literally invented White-Out, and he's very wealthy and spends his time running the family company, so he doesn't tour anymore.

Archived