Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heads up! Cooley and Redskins on the NFL Network tonight 6/1/11

Mad Mike

Wow. Sounds to me like Cooley was a little disappointed in McNabb and impressed with Grossman. He was polite and politically correct about it but he made a point of saying that things just were not working out with McNabb and the team seemed to pick up a bit and play better with Grossman. That's pretty much what I saw last season but as nicely as he framed it, I didn't expect Cooley to come out and say it the way he did.

Cooly is very modest BTW. He avoided any suggestion that he was one of the best TEs in the NFL saying "Id rather be under rated." Talked about how he just wanted more wins. :notworthy

Wow. Sounds to me like Cooley was a little disappointed in McNabb and impressed with Grossman. He was polite and politically correct about it but he made a point of saying that things just were not working out with McNabb and the team seemed to pick up a bit and play better with Grossman. That's pretty much what I saw last season but as nicely as he framed it, I didn't expect Cooley to come out and say it the way he did.

Cooly is very modest BTW. He avoided any suggestion that he was one of the best TEs in the NFL saying "Id rather be under rated." Talked about how he just wanted more wins. :notworthy

Yeah, I feel for Cooley. Some of these guys won big in college, some won Superbowls on other teams. I don't believe Cooley ever had a winning season in College, and now in the NFL his team has struggled, (not in any way his fault). Cooley is truly one of the last fingerprints of the Joe Gibbs second coming. I hope we start to win while he is still a member of this team.

Yeah, I feel for Cooley. Some of these guys won big in college, some won Superbowls on other teams. I don't believe Cooley ever had a winning season in College, and now in the NFL his team has struggled, (not in any way his fault). Cooley is truly one of the last fingerprints of the Joe Gibbs second coming. I hope we start to win while he is still a member of this team.

I Agree. Cooley is a bit of a character but he also *has* great character. He wants to, and deserves to win. He's really the only big name skill player on offense I want back next year. Not trying to disrespect Moss. I'll never forget his Dallas game and appreciate his time here but I think he is past his prime and his small size is becoming a more difficult liability for him to overcome. Time to move on and let the young guys get the reps.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 11:55 PM ----------

Cooley could easily have a career on the network.

It is a slap in the face that McCrap is on the top 100 and Orakpo isn't.

I really think that was a sympathy vote.

I Agree. Cooley is a bit of a character but he also *has* great character. He wants to, and deserves to win. He's really the only big name skill player on offense I want back next year. Not trying to disrespect Moss. I'll never forget his Dallas game and appreciate his time here but I think he is past his prime and his small size is becoming a more difficult liability for him to overcome. Time to move on and let the young guys get the reps.

I agree, Im actually optimistic about our WR's. I think we have a lot of youth and size. I wouldnt mind seeing one vet wr brought in, and I wouldn't mind seeing Moss come back, but i wont think twice if he doesn't, and wont worry if we don't bring in a vet WR. Im more worried about the O-line. Thats what I want addressed first and often in FA.

I keep forgetting it's a player's vote list and not a list that was agreed on by the network. Then I would have to agree with Cooley that the reason we arent getting much recognition on this list is because of the lackluster seasons of late.

I agree, Im actually optimistic about our WR's. I think we have a lot of youth and size. I wouldnt mind seeing one vet wr brought in, and I wouldn't mind seeing Moss come back, but i wont think twice if he doesn't, and wont worry if we don't bring in a vet WR. Im more worried about the O-line. Thats what I want addressed first and often in FA.

Yup. We're on the same page. It wouldn't bother me to see Moss come back even though I kind of just want to move on. Portis and McNabb were the "must go" guys for me. On defense, I'll add Haynesworth(less) 1 down, 2 to go.

I actually disagree. And it has nothing to do with loyalty. I think we can really use Moss next year and beyond. He was still our most productive receiver and without him Armstrong is our most senior WR (with only one year playing in the NFL). I think that's too inexperienced. "Stealing reps" I think is being thrown around as more of an issue than it really is. WRs take time to develop. Having veteran leadership at the position, let alone someone who was a fringe Pro Bowler for a few years, doesn't hamper a young WRs chances.

One might cite Thomas and Kelly as they were understudies of Moss, but Kelly has been held back by injury and Thomas' lack of dedication is well-documented.

Lastly, while we're (hopefully) done with sacrificing the future for trying to win now, all the players and coaches are going to work their ass off to win every game this year.Their jobs are on the line. I don't think Shanahan will walk into next season with all first year and second year WRs. If Shanahan tanks next year there will be a ton of speculation of him getting replaced; and we all saw how much Shanahan loves being grilled by the media. I think we'll bring in a vet WR regardless, and I'd rather sign Moss to a modest 3-year contract than break the bank for a Braylon Edwards or someone like that who will be a questionable fit.

I can't believe that the things Cooley said on NFL Total Access haven't gotten more publicity! He confirmed that Donovan struggled to learn the offense (something Donovan said was ridiculous) and that the offense, week after week, was not being executed like it was drawn up. I guess that's not what people want to hear.

Cooley did a wonderful job on NFLN. The segment I liked the most is where they asked him "Who should be on the Top 100". First thing he said was " Well Brian Orakpo SHOULD be on this list". I geared up a smile right away. Then he gave recognition towards Landry. Never mentioned himself at all. Did not seem like a Homer at all, but represented the Organization Fabulously. Props #47

HAIL!

Lastly, while we're (hopefully) done with sacrificing the future for trying to win now, all the players and coaches are going to work their ass off to win every game this year.Their jobs are on the line. I don't think Shanahan will walk into next season with all first year and second year WRs. If Shanahan tanks next year there will be a ton of speculation of him getting replaced; and we all saw how much Shanahan loves being grilled by the media. I think we'll bring in a vet WR regardless, and I'd rather sign Moss to a modest 3-year contract than break the bank for a Braylon Edwards or someone like that who will be a questionable fit.

I agree with you 100%. I hope we bring Moss back to strictly be our slot WR. He will be freakish at that position and he'll actually help the outside guys, Armstrong and Hankerson beat coverages by forcing the defense to play tight on the inside to guard against his speed and YAC. That means there will be widows to manipulate in the coverage between the CB and the S. Moss probably should have been moved to the slot years ago, but the lack of a receiving corps prevented the move. I don't think the team will make the mistake of missing the opportunity this time around.

As for Kelly and Thomas being on Moss' watch, NOT EVEN. As you said, Kelly has been injured (which Vinny and Co. knew prior to drafting him) and Thomas did not have the professional maturity to be drafted where he was. Both of those decisions are management failures, they have nothing to do with being helped along by a teammate.

Cooley could easily have a career on the network.

It is a slap in the face that McCrap is on the top 100 and Orakpo isn't.

How about a slap in the face to DeAngelo Hall, LaRon Landry, London Fletcher, AND Brian Orakpo?

This top 100 list is a complete joke. Eric Berry ahead of Jon Beason? Right.

I think Cooley is just fine where he's at.. I don't think he is underrated at all. Honestly, just my opinion but I remember a ton of dropped passes by Cooley.

Lastly, I thought he was rude and disrespectful towards McNabb, although we all know he wouldn't dare to say it face to face or even in the same room. The "yawning" after the fans spoke LOUDLY and voted McNabb than "other"... Pretty much the exact opposite of what Cooley said. Childish.

Underrated? I say overrated by fans with a man crush.

I think Cooley is just fine where he's at.. I don't think he is underrated at all. Honestly, just my opinion but I remember a ton of dropped passes by Cooley.

Lastly, I thought he was rude and disrespectful towards McNabb, although we all know he wouldn't dare to say it face to face or even in the same room. The "yawning" after the fans spoke LOUDLY and voted McNabb than "other"... Pretty much the exact opposite of what Cooley said. Childish.

Sounds more like you have a man crush on McNugget. **** McNabb. He's not a redskin and never was. He brought more ego than talent here and after that Philly game, the idea of him claiming the eagles "made a mistake" when he seemed to be doing his best to lose the game for us was just asinine. The fact that "fans" voted for him means only that fans can be complete idiots. I'd be surprised if Cooley didn't throw up in his mouth over that vote. In fact I'll bet that it wasn't a yawn, he was probably trying to get rid of the taste of bile.

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 03:39 PM ----------

I can't believe that the things Cooley said on NFL Total Access haven't gotten more publicity! He confirmed that Donovan struggled to learn the offense (something Donovan said was ridiculous) and that the offense, week after week, was not being executed like it was drawn up. I guess that's not what people want to hear.

I think he just said it in such a way that it wasn't an overt ***** slap. The media isn't all that good at subtle and fans tend to generally follow the media lead. Maybe Shannahan should take lessons. To me, the whole dust up over how McNabb was benched last year was more about Shannahan legitimately trying to do it in the nicest way possible. Rather than just coming out and saying McNabb wasn't running the offense well, he tried to make excuses to soften the blow and got caught in it. If anything, I think McNabb should thank Shannahan for continuing to take the heat over it rather than just coming out and telling the truth. McNabb sucked.

I suspect Grossman will have a successful year. Just a hunch.

Cooley sometimes has shaky hands. In my opinion he's a top 10 tight end, easily. For the last 3 years he has the 9th best drop percentage among tight ends.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/25/drop-percentage-tight-ends/

Guys ahead of him are:

Dreessen

Olsen

Witten

Daniels

Miller

Gonzalez

Winslow

Finley

McNabb: Was never a good fit here and used his agent as a mouthpiece for his discontent like a coward. Was never a Redskin. Trading for him was one of the worst ideas/sights I've seen in some time. Not worth debating anything McNabb vs. Cooley here... #5 will lose, badly.

Archived