Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

msnbc : 'Handcuffed by policy': Fire crews watch man die

Mickalino

Good for him, he got exactly what I wanted. ... What about the "victim?" He was standing around too. He's the one in danger. He didn't do anything either. Blame him for being a big enough a-hole to kill himself in public and need rescuing from a dangerous situation.
If he had fallen off a boat or was out there accidentally, I'd care. But since he wanted to die, I am not finding this to be all that awful.

~Bang

He got what he wanted. I don't have a problem with them not saving him.
why is this such a big deal? the POS wanted to kill himself and he got what he wanted. why risk the lives of the rescue workers that dont have proper training for some idiot that doesnt value human life. those cops and firefighters have families to go home to at the end of their shift. how could a mother/father tell their child that mommy/daddy isnt coming home because he died trying to save an ingreat that wanted to kill himself? and as a firefighter, i can say it would be a hard decision to make, and one that will probably haunt those on scene for some time. but in the end, the people that appreciate life all got to go home to their families at the end of the day.

maybe if his numerous family members would have cared enough to get him help, it wouldnt come down to risking someone elses life to save his own, that he clearly had no use for. maybe not all suicidal people are POS's, but i have zero sympathy. everyone has problems in life, its not like he was the only one that was suffering or struggling. suicide is a cop out if you ask me

"Clinical depression is not a sign of personal weakness, or a condition that can be willed away. Clinically depressed people cannot "pull themselves together" and get better. In fact, clinical depression often interferes with a person's ability or wish to get help. Clinical depression is a serious illness that lasts for weeks, months and sometimes years. It may even influence someone to contemplate or attempt suicide.

People of all ages, genders, ethnicities, cultures, and religions can suffer from clinical depression. Each year it affects over 17 million American men and women (source: American Psychiatric Association). While clinical depression is common, it is frequently unrecognized and untreated."

"everyone has problems in life, its not like he was the only one that was suffering or struggling"

Studies have shown that over 90% of people who die from suicide have one or more psychiatric disorders at the time of their death. Luckily, there are ways to treat and control these disorders and potentially prevent suicide.

Comorbidity (having more than one illness at the same time) and how severe the disorders are can increase someone's risk for suicide. Catching the warning signs early and seeing a doctor or other health care provider for a diagnosis and treatment plan could make it less likely that your friend would commit suicide.

"Blame him for being a big enough a-hole to kill himself in public"

Studies have consistently shown that having depression or bipolar disorder (mood disorders) increases your risk for suicide significantly. In fact, it's estimated that people with mood disorders are 12 to 20 times more likely to commit suicide than people without a mood disorder.

Mood disorders, especially in the depressive phase, are the most commonly diagnosed mental illness in suicide deaths. People with bipolar disorder have the highest risk, especially when they are in mixed episodes (simultaneous presence of ups and downs).

"He got what he wanted."

I know an older man who eight years ago this month was committed to committing suicide.

Me.

The last, desperate, despondent, despicable act was all planned out. The Broncos were playing on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2002, against the 49ers. I would fly into San Francisco the day before, drive up to Napa Valley, enjoy a bottle of expensive red wine and check into a nice inn. The next morning I would head over to the coast and swim out in the Pacific Ocean far enough that I couldn't make it back to the beach.

My death would be termed an "accidental drowning," and my family and few friends would be horrified, but spared the humiliation.

I figured out the details while laying on the sofa staring at the ceiling for hours, as I did daily, and swallowing the pills a prominent Denver psychiatrist had prescribed over a period of months — Prozac, Ritalin, Xanax, Valium, Ambien and Zoloft — and swilling Jack Daniel's.

I had everything to live for, but wanted nothing more than to die.

I was suffering from deep depression.

Gil Whiteley, who is a brother to me and had a key to my place, showed up and said: "You've got to do something."

I replied: "I'm going to San Francisco."

Instead, he called my longtime friend and family doctor, Allen Schreiber (who also has been a physician for the Nuggets, the Avalanche and currently the Rockies), and shoved the phone in my face. "I have a problem, Allen."

Dr. Schreiber checked me into a private room on the secured maternity floor at a Denver hospital. The nurses took away my pills, my belt, my razor and my fingernail clippers. ("I'm not about to clip myself to death.")

That night Dr. Schreiber prescribed one red pill. "What is this?" I asked the nurse. "I'm addicted to a lot of medications."

"Benadryl," she said.

"But I don't have a runny nose."

It turned out that I had diabetes, which causes low serotonin levels in the brain — and depression.

I am so fortunate. Allen and Gil were there when I needed help. They saved my life. I am not depressed. I never want to die.

Break your leg, and you can tell. Break your brain, and it's not so evident.

Woody Paige

Interesting... in light of your signature.

I'm embracing the culture promoted.....we can always make more.

The responses answers my questions , I'm open to thinning the herd.

Ya;ll get mighty finicky on how though.

I'm embracing the culture promoted.....we can always make more.

The responses answers my questions , I'm open to thinning the herd.

Ya;ll get mighty finicky on how though.

I should have put a smiley in there. I respect your pro life views, and do not want to mock them. :cheers:

Just thought it was funny to see your post immedately followed by "what is a life worth."

Clinically depressed people cannot "pull themselves together" and get better. In fact, clinical depression often interferes with a person's ability or wish to get help.

No, but everyone still has some input. At least have the decency to hang yourself in private or something. 17 million people did not kill themselves last year, so that leads me to believe there are ways of dealing with this depression. Being depressed does not preclude you being a self-absorbed a-hole. Either you have some measure of controlwith depression, or we need to start locking up a bunch of people ASAP.

EDIT: I just thought of a great solution! Perhaps we should use public money to follow the 17 million depressed people around with inflatable dingies just in case. Or, maybe we could just treat who we can when we can and accept the fact that **** happens.

I am not mocking them I am happy that they decided to end it instead of becoming more miserable.

I thought misery loved company?

Maybe he wasn't miserable,just moving on.

Your main complaint is that someone in desperate need might cause some annoyance?

Oh no, it's not just some annoyance. By his selfish actions he may have scarred dozens of others and driven them into a gripping depression over which they have no control. Then those people will probably be unable to help themselves from taking their life in public, thus scarring others... You see where this is going. He could well have spelled the end of our civilization eventually. In fact, it's a wonder we've lasted this long, what with the dark ages, poverty, feudalism, and everything. One would think that inescapable depression would have done them ALL in. As opposed to what we have today of maybe your girlfriend dumped you or your car got stolen.

another problem is that since the city wanted to save $40k on taxes, they called both a coast guard boat and a helicopter. Those things don't run on hopes and dreams. Fuel is freaking expensive. Probably another several thousand dollars wasted on top of a man dying and the city caving and paying for these certifications anyways.

I can tell you this, Firefighters from the SF Bay Area are a heartless bunch. My sister a few years ago had an alergic reaction to some hair die, and it blew her face up like a ballon. One of the most scariest things I've seen in my life. Suffice to say, we called 911, the firefighters were the first to show up. As the firefighters approached so did my mother, there was about 7 firefighters in all, upon my Mom walking in along with the firefighters, she actually fell on the floor and fainted because the sight of my sisters face was unbearable. And guess what these firefighters did? Looked at her, and just kept walking, didn't even stop to see if she was ok, breathing or what.

They just robotically loaded my sister on the gurney and walked out the apartment. After that I've lost all respect for the fireman in my area. I had to call 911 again, so someone could come check on my mother, before the second firetruck arrived she came to her senses, and we drove to the hospital. Their uncaring attitude just made me feel like I was worthless 3rd world trash who didn't deserve the dignity of their response. Unfortunately, not all fireman are like the NYFD. True hero's. Not these souless wannabee automatons in my area.

Good policy.....you have no friends or family you wish to impose upon unnecessarily?

It's not that.

I don't want to return the favor, and I can't yell at them if they drop or scratch something regardless of my insurance. haha.

Seriously though, it is so much easier.

EDIT: Damn you got me. No I have no intention of forcing a friend into my situation. Let me do my own thing and they can do theirs.

Unfortunately, not all fireman are like the NYFD. True hero's. Not these souless wannabee automatons in my area.

And maybe not all SF Firefighters are like those guys either.

Did this happen just once, or on a weekly basis ?

Not fair to assume all the firefighters in such a huge city are the same.

Archived