Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: An unexpectedly strong start for Herman Cain (For GOP Nomination)

JMS

Nice guy, has some decent ideas, still way too much a supporter of the Federal Reserve and its antics, and way too much neo-con support for never ending undeclared wars that break our economy just as much or more than the domestic spending he rails against. To me hes just another neocon hypocrite that is correct on a few issues.

Why is it unexpected?

He is from the south,a businessman and more conservative than most in the field and w/o a politicians baggage.

there is a ready made constituency

He's a likable guy. Certainly more charismatic than most of the GOP field. He'd better study up pretty quickly, though, because apparently there are more than a few specific issues which have already tripped him up when talking to voters or journalists.

We stopped having real liberty protected long ago

I was making a joke based on Mr. Cain's lack of knowledge. I always love these "business guys" who don't know **** from shinola about government thinking they can just spout off some crazy crap and POOF everything is happy.

---------- Post added May-31st-2011 at 04:43 PM ----------

Certainly inconvenient for the "tea party is nothing but a bunch of racists" crowd.

I don't know his stances, but most people are calling him a neo-con, not a tea party guy. :)

As long as the Constitution protects life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, he'll have a chance to win the nomination.

:ols:

I don't know his stances, but most people are calling him a neo-con, not a tea party guy. :)

Oh, no. This article makes it clear he's a Tea Party darling.

Cain may be a convenient rebuttal to charges of racism in the tea party’s ranks, but he is also a genuine star.

“Herman generates incredible excitement,” said Mark Meckler, co-founder and national coordinator of Tea Party Patriots, which has more than 3,500 chapters around the country and does not endorse candidates. “He is a lot more like us than anyone who has run for president in our lifetimes.”

Meckler, whose organization was such a fan of Cain and his business experience that it tried to hire him to its board in late 2009, said Cain’s consistency stood out in the field. “All the candidates are being forced to talk the talk,” Meckler said. “Herman is somewhat unique because he has long-term credibility.”

“He’s not to be underestimated,” said Ryan Rhodes, chairman of the Iowa Tea Party, who is hosting Cain, along with several other candidates, on a bus tour through the state next month.

From the article:

"But in the embryonic stages of the Republican presidential primary, Cain’s unexpectedly strong showing in early polls and enthusiastic support of the tea party, with which his fiscal uber-conservatism perfectly aligns, have also lent him the clout to weigh in on his fellow contenders."

From the article:

"But in the embryonic stages of the Republican presidential primary, Cain’s unexpectedly strong showing in early polls and enthusiastic support of the tea party, with which his fiscal uber-conservatism perfectly aligns, have also lent him the clout to weigh in on his fellow contenders."

The Tea Party has become post-racial then. :)

He's one of the "good ones." :)

The Tea Party support for Cain comes entirely from the fact that he is black. He's the only notable black conservative they can find, other than Condi Rice, Thomas Sowell and Alan Keyes, and only Keyes is willing to run for office (unfortunately Keyes is is downright insane).

Cain is an amateur who only has slogans, but doesn't seem to understand any issues but how to sell pizza. He is being pumped up for the same reason that Lloyd Marcus is always on stage at Tea Party events - as a token.

Cain is an amateur who only has slogans, but doesn't seem to understand any issues but how to sell pizza. He is being pumped up for the same reason that Lloyd Marcus is always on stage at Tea Party events - as a token.

So, does he have more substance than Palin ? :silly:

There is a huge element of tokenism in this.

I'm not sure how anyone can support a candidate whose foreign policy pledge is "I'll figure it out when you elect me."

Pot meet kettle

As to FP, you are leaving out the rest of his statement as to the notion it would be foolish to speculate on foreign policy changes w/o the facts available to POTUS.

There is a huge element of tokenism in this.

I'm not sure how anyone can support a candidate whose foreign policy pledge is "I'll figure it out when you elect me."

But those who support the "we have to pass it so we can tell you what's in it" approach to health care are rocket scientists, right? :rolleyes:

… Would you be comfortable appointing a Muslim, either in your cabinet or as a federal judge?

Cain: “No, I would not. And here’s why. There is this creeping attempt, there is this attempted to gradually ease Sharia law and the Muslim faith into our government. It does not belong in our government. … The question that was asked that ‘raised some questions’ and, as my grandfather said, ‘I does not care, I feel the way I feel.’

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/03/26/153625/herman-cain-muslims/

When speaking about your battle with cancer at the Milner church, at one point, you indicate that you were a little uncomfortable when you found out that your surgeon’s name was Abdallah, until you found out he was a Lebanese Christian. So what’s your perspective on the role of Muslims in American society?

The role of Muslims in American society is for them to be allowed to practice their religion freely, which is part of our First Amendment. The role of Muslims in America is not to convert the rest of us to the Muslim religion. That I resent. Because we are a Judeo-Christian nation, from the fact that 85 percent of us are self-described Christians, or evangelicals, or practicing the Jewish faith. Eighty-five percent. One percent of the practicing religious believers in this country are Muslim.

And so I push back and reject them trying to convert the rest of us. And based upon the little knowledge that I have of the Muslim religion, you know, they have an objective to convert all infidels or kill them. Now, I know that there are some peaceful Muslims who don’t go around preaching or practicing that. Well, unfortunately, we can’t sit back and tolerate the radical ones simply because we know that there are some of them who don’t believe in that aspect of the Muslim religion. …

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/marchweb-only/qahermancain.html

I was making a joke based on Mr. Cain's lack of knowledge. I always love these "business guys" who don't know **** from shinola about government thinking they can just spout off some crazy crap and POOF everything is happy.

You group him with business guys who "don't know **** from shinola" about government and a few lines later say "I don't know his stances."

Umm...what?

Well, the Tea Party should like that too.

What does it take? A few idiots have dumb signs, and you guys jump to the FOXNews conclusion (which you allegedly think is a vile thing to do) and say the tea party is full of (if not MADE UP of) racists. They throw their support behind a fiscally-conservative, successful businessman, who happens to be black, and he's a token.

You would think, having your (collective sense) idiocy thrown back in your face, you'd stop with the bull**** assumptions of mass bigotry. But no. You insist on continuing it without support.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you "POTNews." The "Party of Tolerance News Channel."

Don't even, eeeeeeven think about accusing me of fanning the flames for a good, long while.

Archived