Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QCT: Straight-on-red measure heads to governor

China

Straight-on-red measure heads to governor

SPRINGFIELD — Motorcycle riders and bicyclists would be able to go straight on a red light after coming to a complete stop under a measure sent to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday.

The proposal, approved on a 101-11 vote, is designed to address sometimes lengthy waits faced by bikers when they approach stop lights that change based on sensors in the roadway.

Motorcycle rights groups say riders sometimes can get stuck at a light for several cycles because the lighter weight of the two-wheel vehicles won’t trigger the sensors. If a stoplight fails to turn green within a “reasonable period of time,” the legislation would a biker could proceed through the intersection after making sure it is clear.

Click on the link for the full article

Straight-on-red measure heads to governor

SPRINGFIELD — Motorcycle riders and bicyclists would be able to go straight on a red light after coming to a complete stop under a measure sent to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday.

The proposal, approved on a 101-11 vote, is designed to address sometimes lengthy waits faced by bikers when they approach stop lights that change based on sensors in the roadway.

Motorcycle rights groups say riders sometimes can get stuck at a light for several cycles because the lighter weight of the two-wheel vehicles won’t trigger the sensors. If a stoplight fails to turn green within a “reasonable period of time,” the legislation would a biker could proceed through the intersection after making sure it is clear.

Click on the link for the full article

Why not? Anyone in the DC area knows that bicyclists do this already. "Share the Road"? Only applies when they want cars to treat bikes the same as they do other cars. But god forbid they have to follow vehicle laws. I can't stand bicyclists on the road. They try to cause as many accidents as possible by not following the laws, then flip you off for almost killing them when they blow through stop signs/red lights causing you to have to run off road to avoid killing them. Hell, even on the W&OD trail, they just cross roads in packs without looking. They have stop signs!

Where are all the people outraged over arrests at the TJ Memorial. Damn the man erecting traffic lights restricting our rights to move about freely. Just run the lights and complain when arrested/ticketed. Overstepping govt restrictions that have been long upheld by the courts.

Damn the man erecting traffic lights restricting our rights to move about freely. Just run the lights and complain when arrested/ticketed.

That's what I do.

I also ignore the flashing red lights at railroad crossings. Why should some egghead bureaucrat who extensively studies these things tell ME when it's safe to cross in front of a barreling locomotive? I'll make that decision for myself, thank you ve-

SMOOSH

Archived