Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's a Championship Like?

RedCapital

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum; however, it is easily relate-able to the Redskins. I am not old enough to remember (or even be alive during) the Redskins's last Super Bowl. None of my favorite teams, the Capitals, the Redskins, the Wizards, the Nationals, or the Hokies (unless you count Bass Fishing National Title in 2006 or something) have ever won a championship. Arguably they haven't even come close (the closest I guess would be the Capitals getting swept by the Red Wings in 1998 Finals or Virginia Tech winning the Orange Bowl a couple years back).

Ultimately not trying to throw a pity party, just curious as to what it is like to see your team that you have followed for so long finally win the big game (or games in other sports). What is it like?

It's great fun but I would not say that it effects your personal life that dramatically and wears off rather quickly. The idiots who base their lives around a team winning a championship and somehow gaining a sense of self-worth over it are missing something to begin with.

Having said that, I enjoyed each Redskins SB win more than the previous, so for that to have happened in my lifetime-- three times that I remember-- I consider myself lucky.

Have you ever been in D.C. in August when it's over 100 degrees and really insufferably humid and then you walk into a blissfully air conditioned place and a woman you've secretly loved for years sees you and a smile lights up her face, she runs up to embrace and kiss you? It's kind of like that.

What I remember is that for a short period everyone in DC had something in common. The air was lighter and people were friendlier. There was an incredible sense of "us" that just filled the town. The Cowboy bandwagoneers who live in this area were wonderfully clueless and would shout how the Redskins were their second favorite team and as long as the NFC East won they were happy, but they were miserable. What was even greater about the last two Superbowl wins was that we left no doubt who was the best team. We trounced our opponents and we did it with honor and style. It wasn't like Belichick running up the score on a defenseless team. It was domination with your foot on the brake pedal.

I don't remember the Superbowls all that clearly except for a few moments here or there, but I do know that I can name pretty much the entire roster from that era.

I think the final description I'll give is that it's like 40,000 people screaming at once, causing the floors to shake, and hearing that roar being answered by millions in their homes, bars, and everywhere.

In short, it felt pretty good.

It's like no other feeling as a fan.

To be the best of the best. To be at the absolute pinnacle of the game. To be a World Champion. It makes all the hard times when you've stuck by them, all the defeats and embarrassments, all the mocking from other teams fans you've had to endure all so worth it. To have that whole summer to be able to bask in the knowledge your number 1 is just the best feeling a fan can have. Knowing you'll start the following year as the team to beat. Knowing that whatever happens that fall, until the gun goes in the following SB your the top team in the game.

I was exceptionally fortunate to be born when I was in so much as my "era" so to speak was right through the glory decade. My very first Redskin season culminated in the first Lombardi in '82. The following year, although ultimately disappointing by season's end in Tampa with the upset loss to the hated Raiders, made it two SB trips my first two years. To say it was "out of this World living the dream" as a fan was an understatement, 2 more SB's and 2 more Lombardi's by '91. A time when you just couldn't wait for Sunday's and the next sacrificial victim at the RFK alter. (Sounds arrogant, but that's how it was. If we only won 10 games in a season then there was an inquest as to what had gone wrong.). And then it ended as soon as it had begun, with pretty much constant mediocrity for the next two decades.

I'm recounting the great days of my youth above to say to you and anyone that wasn't fortunate enough to experience them to hang in there. These things come in cycles and our time will come again. And having experienced it the first trophy laiden go-around, I'm a firm believer that the 4th Lombardi will be all the sweeter to each and everyone of us that have suffered so on countless Sundays these past 20 years. I also think it would nicely tie the first three together and bring everything into the present. No longer would Dallas fans or whomever be able to say we lived in the past. Hang in there, our time will come again.

Sometimes you have to suffer the depths to fully appreciate the ultimate reward.

And man do I want that feeling again to be able to stick a giant two fingers up to the rest of the league and say "WE'RE BACK!" And trust me, when you've experienced it too, you'll never want it to end either.

Hail.

If you can imagine:

In 1991, I forgot what it felt like to watch the Redskins lose.

That season was so freaking magical, with Gibbs at the pinnacle of his powers, a group of veterans mixing with some key youngsters, a handful of "stars" who were really blue-collar workers to the core despite their sublime talents, and all egos in check and everyone focused on his job on every danged snap.

Yes, the Cowboys nipped us in a hard-fought game in the middle of the season. Then we rested our first stringers in the final game and lost to the Eagles, settling in at 14-2. Then we just unleashed all kinds of hellfire in the playoffs, physically and mentally destroying every team in our path -- a postseason run so dominant that no team has come close to repeating it.

So yeah, I literally forgot what a Skins loss felt like, which seems unimaginable after what we've been through lately.

Have you ever been in D.C. in August when it's over 100 degrees and really insufferably humid and then you walk into a blissfully air conditioned place and a woman you've secretly loved for years sees you and a smiles lights up her face, she runs up to embrace and kiss you? It's kind of like that.

^^^ Heheh...that's a good analogy/way to put it.

To feel so confident in your team in an amazing feeling. To be that dominant... To be able to talk smack, and brag on them... to blow teams out? awee man....

I'd like to experience a superbowl season and win in my adulthood. I was living for all of them but only remember two of them...and was still a kid. I think the understanding and feeling/appreciation would be different. It's even a different feeling(better energy) around town when we make the playoffs in the DMV so after all of these bad years, a superbowl would be insane. I'd like to think, hope, at 33 years of age I'll get to experience another one in my lifetime.

The football championships all seemed to have a different flavor for me. The 1982 team was pretty much the last team of my childhood and it was a feeling more of "we've finally done it!". I'd imagine if and when the Redskins pull when out again, that feeling will be close to the one in 1982. To me, this was the best SB since I really didn't expect us to even be in the running and probably the fact that this was the last team of my childhood. The SB after the 1991 season had more the flavor of someone finishing the job as expected. The 1987 season had some of the most exciting individual moments.

If you can imagine:

In 1991, I forgot what it felt like to watch the Redskins lose.

That season was so freaking magical, with Gibbs at the pinnacle of his powers, a group of veterans mixing with some key youngsters, a handful of "stars" who were really blue-collar workers to the core despite their sublime talents, and all egos in check and everyone focused on his job on every danged snap.

Yes, the Cowboys nipped us in a hard-fought game in the middle of the season. Then we rested our first stringers in the final game and lost to the Eagles, settling in at 14-2. Then we just unleashed all kinds of hellfire in the playoffs, physically and mentally destroying every team in our path -- a postseason run so dominant that no team has come close to repeating it.

So yeah, I literally forgot what a Skins loss felt like, which seems unimaginable after what we've been through lately.

The poor Lions...that game was just pure obliteration. It even gets mentioned on the radio here in Detroit on a regular basis. The guys on 97.1 The Ticket were just talking about it the other day. The frame of reference was this past Super Bowl and how the best team in the NFL didn't win or even make it to the Super Bowl (gotta be getting old for Pats fans). The guy goes, "Pretty much every year, you have no idea who's going to win. Even the unbeaten Pats, they started looking vulnerable there toward the end." The other guy says, "Except the 91 Redskins." "Yeah. Oh yeah." "You just knew they were gonna win it." "Yeah, it wasn't even a competition." "Best team I've ever seen." "Games were over before they even started. I remember having no hope in that playoff game going in. I'd already written off the Lions." ...

The team was so good that it gets that much respect in a different city 20 years later. *That* good.

****ing amazing.

The Redskins winning a Super Bowl will be an unimaginable feeling for me, but last year two of my teams finally broke through. Watching the Blackhawks win it all was beyond special. I went from shock to tears of joy to complete happiness for about a month. I still tear up when watching highlights from last year. My college football team (FIU) won its first conference championship, and went to and won its first bowl game. The best part about both was that I was there to witness each. Both games went down to the wire, and in the moment each was decided all I remember is jumping up and down in a mass of friends hugging them and screaming.

Championships are something that can't be taken away, and you'll always have those memories. I probably invest too much emotion in sports, but those moments are unforgettable. The day the Redskins win a Super Bowl will be the day that I feel complete...they mean the most to me of any team :)

Ever get on the school bus with a bunch of Eagles fan kids when you were 10, being a Redskins fan? It feels like beating the hell out of the school bully who has been tormenting you for years. In my case... it felt like beating the hell out of a school bus full of bullies who's team has not and never will know what it feels like to be a fan of a champion.

It even gets mentioned on the radio here in Detroit on a regular basis.....Except the 91 Redskins.... I remember having no hope in that playoff game going in.

That's interesting. We had crushed the Lions 45-0 back in the first week of the season (35-0 at half!!). Barry Sanders didn't play that game, and I remember we had the ball at the Lions 1 at the end of the game, but instead of scoring again (as Belichick probably would do), Gibbs took a knee, which prompted one of the Lions defensive guys (Spielman?) to complain that the Redskins were being disrespectful for not trying to score (which shows that someone will always complain no matter what you do). In the first round of the playoffs, we had beaten the Falcons 24-7 in the rain in a solid but not crushing win. The Lions, meanwhile, had blown out the Cowboys 38-6. I would think that after that game that Detroit fans would've had to have had some confidence, even if the Skins were that good.

The '91 team was arguably the best of the SB teams (including the '83 team), but because they didn't play a marquee team in the NFC playoffs (as they had on the other runs like Dallas, SF, Chicago), I think they tend to get overlooked a bit by Skins fans when comparing the great Gibbs teams. Probably their most dominating performance in the playoffs that year was against a Bills team that went to four straight SBs......the Redskins just laid waste to them.

That's interesting. We had crushed the Lions 45-0 back in the first week of the season (35-0 at half!!). Barry Sanders didn't play that game, and I remember we had the ball at the Lions 1 at the end of the game, but instead of scoring again (as Belichick probably would do), Gibbs took a knee, which prompted one of the Lions defensive guys (Spielman?) to complain that the Redskins were being disrespectful for not trying to score (which shows that someone will always complain no matter what you do). In the first round of the playoffs, we had beaten the Falcons 24-7 in the rain in a solid but not crushing win. The Lions, meanwhile, had blown out the Cowboys 38-6. I would think that after that game that Detroit fans would've had to have had some confidence, even if the Skins were that good.

The '91 team was arguably the best of the SB teams (including the '83 team), but because they didn't play a marquee team in the NFC playoffs (as they had on the other runs like Dallas, SF, Chicago), I think they tend to get overlooked a bit by Skins fans when comparing the great Gibbs teams. Probably their most dominating performance in the playoffs that year was against a Bills team that went to four straight SBs......the Redskins just laid waste to them.

That team was the most complete out of our 3 SB winners. It's a shame in the America's Game series we were only ranked like #14 . I think that team was a top 5 SB team of all time. That team still has the largest average margin of victory for a season (all 19 games combined).

That team was the most complete out of our 3 SB winners. It's a shame in the America's Game series we were only ranked like #14 . I think that team was a top 5 SB team of all time. That team still has the largest average margin of victory for a season (all 19 games combined).

I never saw the America's Game rankings until you just mentioned it and looked at the Wiki. Wow, #14 is pretty low. If you do a simple search of "best super bowl teams" and look at the first page of results, usually the #91 Skins are no lower than like #7 in random polls you see.

It's awesome seeing Championships won (I've seen Maryland win one in basketball, as well as D.C United win a few) and honestly, it's just an amazing feeling knowing your team is the best and nobody can say otherwise. I don't know, I can't explain it myself, just feels like all the stress of losing championships, losing in the playoffs, March Madness, etc, all goes away.

Have you ever been in D.C. in August when it's over 100 degrees and really insufferably humid and then you walk into a blissfully air conditioned place and a woman you've secretly loved for years sees you and a smile lights up her face, she runs up to embrace and kiss you? It's kind of like that.

What I remember is that for a short period everyone in DC had something in common. The air was lighter and people were friendlier. There was an incredible sense of "us" that just filled the town. The Cowboy bandwagoneers who live in this area were wonderfully clueless and would shout how the Redskins were their second favorite team and as long as the NFC East won they were happy, but they were miserable. What was even greater about the last two Superbowl wins was that we left no doubt who was the best team. We trounced our opponents and we did it with honor and style. It wasn't like Belichick running up the score on a defenseless team. It was domination with your foot on the brake pedal.

I don't remember the Superbowls all that clearly except for a few moments here or there, but I do know that I can name pretty much the entire roster from that era.

I think the final description I'll give is that it's like 40,000 people screaming at once, causing the floors to shake, and hearing that roar being answered by millions in their homes, bars, and everywhere.

That would be an epic feeling. Epicly epic.

If my passion for the team is this high and they haven't seen a great season. My best season of watching was the 05 run lol. I cant imagine when what it will be when they are going to the playoffs every year and winning superbowls

Championships are like waterfalls of grey goose flowing into a swimming pool full of naked sorority chicks.

Championships are like steaks on the grill-- every night.

Championships are like Sheen/Tyson benders without the lawsuits.

Championships are like drinking from the fountain of youth or bathing in virgin's blood.

Championships are like Nicholas Cage movies.

Championships are like a stack of Eggos drowning in a buttery pond of syrupy goodness.

Championships are like Erin Andrew's peephole video.

Ya dig?

Everyone here has pretty much hit on it, but the thing I remember the most about the three Super Bowl championships is how it brought everyone together. The Skins are probably the only entity that can unite people by class, race, and political party for one common theme. Strangers high-fiving and hugging, singing the fight song together and just all being on one accord even if they don't know each other by name. I can remember after they won Super Bowl XXII, I'd be wearing a Skins shirt, jacket, or hat, and have people either nod at me or give me a thumbs-up. I distinctly remember one gentlemen commenting on my brand new satin jacket, saying, "The colors of champions." When they win the Super Bowl, it energizes the city and let's people just forget about their problems.

You're 17, the same age as my little brother.

You don't remember the Sugar bowl in 2000 where Tech lost to FSU? That was the closest one of your teams came to a championship. I was pretty young when it happened but I remember it clearly because it was the most disappointed I've ever been by sports. You were probably a bit too young to remember it, I know my little brother doesn't remember it.

I wouldn't know what it feels like to win a championship if Richmond hadn't won the FCS championship three years ago. I don't remember the Redskins Superbowls at all and I was an Indians fan growing up before the Nationals moved into the region. I've got to say, having your college win a football or basketball championship is awesome. It was special because it happened the year after I graduated so I knew a lot of the players on that team. Many of them had come in as freshmen with me. My freshman year, the Richmond program was in bad shape and VMI was just about the only game on the schedule we could count on for a W. I got to see that recruiting class build something special from start to finish.

Winning a championship is fantastic. You know for certain that your team is the best and everyone in competition has to give you respect. You feel invincible, proud, confident, like a winner even though the achievement really has nothing to do with your direct actions. It gives you special personal memories that you'll always hold on to.

Don't worry, you'll get to see a championship from someone in your lifetime. My guess is it will be the Nats or the Caps will get over the hump eventually. That's tough to say when the Nats are sitting in last place but things will turn around.

Winning a championship is fantastic. You know for certain that your team is the best and everyone in competition has to give you respect. You feel invincible, proud, confident, like a winner even though the achievement really has nothing to do with your direct actions.

It may have nothing to do with our "direct" actions in terms of on the field; but I'd argue that without us, those that can effect the outcome on the field probably wouldn't be in that position. Each Redskin's SB run wouldn't of happened if it hadn't been in a large part down to the fortress the fans made RFK. We're as important to what happens as any Coach or player, and will still be around when most Coaches and players have long forgotten about the Washington Redskins.

Hail.

Archived