Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2011 Indianapolis 500 / Coca-Cola 600 Thread

Teller

Race fans, it's almost time for the 100th anniversary Indianapolis 500, followed by the 52nd Coca-Cola 600. This is one of my favorite days in all of motorsports. Though I'm not much of an Indy fan anymore, there is no race in the U.S. that has the history and pageantry of the Indy 500. And then to get the Cup boys going at it into the night for 600 miles this evening; it's a racing fan's dream come true.

You're invited to use this thread for thoughts, predictions and commentary on the races today.

DRIVERS......START....YOUR....ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :point2sky:

All on the same day as the Monaco Grand Prix huh?

Not a big petrol head any more, but the Indy 500 still holds it's place as one of the most important motor sport races in the World.

Quite a day for race fans.

Hail.

I actually got up in time to watch the end of the F1 race last weekend. It's not my thing, but the technology in those cars is absolutely sick. I still prefer having to bring the car in and make mechanical adjustments, but there's something to be said for being able to adjust your car on the fly.

As far as the 500 goes today, I admit it, I'd like to see Danica finally win one. She'll have her work cut out for her, starting deep in the field. But if she can stay patient, stay out of trouble, and get a few quicks stops, she should be around at the end. Failing that, I'd be just fine with Helio joining the slim ranks of the four-time champions.

In the 600, it's a no-brainer for me. Carl "Engine, Engine 99" Edwards. He dominated the All-Star Race at Charlotte a week ago, and the Roush Fords finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th in yesterday's Nationwide race. I think we're entering another era of Roush dominance at the 1.5 mile speedways. Whatsmore, is that Carl said his 600 car is "as good or better" than his All-Star car. Bad news for the other 42 competitors.

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

We're rolling, three wide, at Indy! Woo! Welcome to race day!!!

The 600 is a long race though. Not many "long runs" in the All Star Race. And Carl hasn't eactly set the world on fire at Charlotte the last few years. So, we'll see. You're right, though. This year all the Roush guys seem to be running extremely well on the 1.5 tracks.

I just hope its a good race. And I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Allmendinger or Menard get their first win. Speaking of Menard: What happened to his foot? I saw them interviewing him yesterday. He said he had a bunch of stitches and whatnot, and was on crutches. I didn't catch how it happened.

The 600 is a long race though. Not many "long runs" in the All Star Race. And Carl hasn't eactly set the world on fire at Charlotte the last few years. So, we'll see. You're right, though. This year all the Roush guys seem to be running extremely well on the 1.5 tracks.

I just hope its a good race. And I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Allmendinger or Menard get their first win. Speaking of Menard: What happened to his foot? I saw them interviewing him yesterday. He said he had a bunch of stitches and whatnot, and was on crutches. I didn't catch how it happened.

I'm not sure, honestly. And yeah, I've been expecting Dinger's first win for a while now. I certainly thought he'd get #1 before a guy like Regan Smith. Menard, especially since moving to a bowtie, meh, I don't have much use for him.

As far as the Roush boys, I'm sure you know that there was a problem in their computer simulations last year, that essentially caused them to make the exact opposite changes to the car that they needed to make. Now that it's corrected, it seems like we have speed just about everywhere. It used to be a forgone conclusion that we were going to spank teams on the 1.5s. I hope that's coming back around.

Wait...so didn't you just state in another thread that you were "Made in the USA to the core"? I've never gotten the Ford-Chevy thing in racing. Meh. I couldn't care less what make a guy drives. Hell, even Jeff Gordon started out racing a Ford. I mean, other than the emblem on the front, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the 4, anyway.

Wait...so didn't you just state in another thread that you were "Made in the USA to the core"? I've never gotten the Ford-Chevy thing in racing. Meh. I couldn't care less what make a guy drives. Hell, even Jeff Gordon started out racing a Ford. I mean, other than the emblem on the front, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the 4, anyway.

I guess you don't get the Skins/Cowboys thing either, huh? They're both American teams. :)

I won't bring up my love for Ferrari then in F1, and why as much as I've gotten out of it I'm still loyal to the team rather than any driver; or else we could be here a while.

Hail.

I won't bring up my love for Ferrari then in F1, and why as much as I've gotten out of it I'm still loyal to the team rather than any driver; or else we could be here a while.

Hail.

Racing's racing. You wanna talk F1 in here, be my guest. :cheers:

Nah, i'll let you guys enjoy the big race in Indy.

I will mark your calender though for a must see documentary film on the life of the greatest, most fearless racing driver to ever live bar NONE, Ayrton Senna, that's out in the US in July I believe. If you like racing, this is a must see. His wheel to wheel battles with the great Alain Prost are the stuff of legend. And never has a better driver taken the wheel in the dangers of the wet. Dude had ice in his veins when it came to racing.

Film trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbJPsPtTyU

And if you have a spare 12 minutes or so, this was a great tribute from the Top Gear guys. WELL worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmqn3heGgE

Hail.

I'm interested in seeing the Baltimore Grand Prix this year. I really want to go, but I've never been to any type of race before, but think it would be interesting to see

Matt, my dad and brother are huge Indycar fans, and I may well go with them to the race. If you're interested, we can talk about it as it gets closer.

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

Damn what a finish to the 500!!!!!!

Holy, holy, holy ****!!!!!!!!

Matt, my dad and brother are huge Indycar fans, and I may well go with them to the race. If you're interested, we can talk about it as it gets closer.

I was just looking for tickets and they either have Saturday Only or the 3-Day Pass left. Might do all 3 days and see what its like.

LMAO @ blue. Yeowch. :ols:

I may not be a racing fan, but I know a choke when I see one and that was a major league choke.

Oh well. Apparently, the guy is a rookie. Finishing the Indy 500 in second down one wheel isn't bad, but the fact that he had it dead to rights has to put this among some of the biggest choke jobs in sports history.

Feel bad for the guy, though.

I was just looking for tickets and they either have Saturday Only or the 3-Day Pass left. Might do all 3 days and see what its like.

I've never been to an Indycar race, but I've been to several NASCAR races. If I were you, I'd do all three days. And definitely get (or take) a scanner, so you can stay abreast of what the teams are doing, as well as save your ears.

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 03:26 PM ----------

I may not be a racing fan, but I know a choke when I see one and that was a major league choke.

Oh well. Apparently, the guy is a rookie. Finishing the Indy 500 in second down one wheel isn't bad, but the fact that he had it dead to rights has to put this among some of the biggest choke jobs in sports history.

Feel bad for the guy, though.

Yeah, I mean, on the surface, it's hard to say that wasn't a major-league choke job. But I think the car developed one helluva push (understeer) there in four, for whatever reason. And while your head says "get out of it, get out of it," your heart has to be saying "this is the Indy 500, hang it out." Incredibly difficult position to be in there. Obviously, he made the wrong choice, but hindsight is what it is.

I've never been to an Indycar race, but I've been to several NASCAR races. If I were you, I'd do all three days. And definitely get (or take) a scanner, so you can stay abreast of what the teams are doing, as well as save your ears.

Yeah the 3-day sounds tempting, especially since I live only 25 minutes from the city. I'll have to check to see if I have anything going on that weekend and maybe buy some tickets!

Archived