Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we were created in God's image and all born sinners... what does that say about God?

Burgold

Presenting these issues in the context of right and wrong tends to oversimplify. It's like saying that your choices are equivalent as long as you don't break the law.

Is it wrong for you to watch TV instead of getting another job and feeding the homeless with the extra income?

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

equal/better/worse are arbitrary value judgements.

Lack of human interaction during critical periods of development is known to cause severe and irreversable deficiencies on the neurobiological level.

Which is why I asked for clarity and explained both spiritual and legal aspects

Any time you ask for my opinion ,or I volunteer it,you are getting a arbitrary value judgement.

You sound a lot like my wife :saber:

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 10:47 AM ----------

Hey (grump)

I like your threads, and being grumpy

both are delightfully irrational and strangely compelling.......kinda like touching a hot stove

Any time you ask for my opinion ,or I volunteer it,you are getting a arbitrary value judgement.

Is your subjective opinion abritrary? :silly:

I'm just trying to ensure proper respect for environmental factors in the notion of individual accountability.

The people that created the myth that "humans" were created in his image are the same people claiming that you are born a sinner and can simply confess your sins away.

1. You are accountable for your actions and "sins"

2. Mother Father Creator God created everything from himself/herself. Everything is energy. God is energy. As a spirit you are energy thus created in the image of God. To think that a "human" was created in the "image" of God seems kind of outlandish.

3. And, no, Jesus did many things, but he did not die for your sins (but that is another story)

When you die, go to the light, meet your guide, and discuss the matter.

The people that created the myth that "humans" were created in his image are the same people claiming that you are born a sinner and can simply confess your sins away.

2. Mother Father Creator God created everything from himself/herself. Everything is energy. God is energy. As a spirit you are energy thus created in the image of God. To think that a "human" was created in the "image" of God seems kind of outlandish.

3. And, no, Jesus did many things, but he did not die for your sins (but that is another story)

And where are you getting this stuff from ??

Also, you blatantly contradict yourself with the first sentence and the 5th sentence.

I wonder if Burgold had some other reason for bringing this up because, frankly, that question sounds like one of the little gotcha question/statements that a far-lefty snidely whips out to waste your time explaining. A very cursory examination of mainstream Biblical teaching answers this question in a heartbeat, and some have pointed this out already.

Now the nature vs. nurture question is pretty easily answered for me. I didn't have to teach any of my kids to be selfish. I didn't have to teach any of them to be mean, or lie, or hit. I had to teach them NOT to. And you can't just pawn it off to "other kids," because due to circumstances, my first did not spend any significant time enough to "learn" from anyone except kind adults for the first couple years. Trust me, sin comes standard.

I wonder if Burgold had some other reason for bringing this up because, frankly, that question sounds like one of the little gotcha question/statements that a far-lefty snidely whips out to waste your time explaining. .

Nah, no hidden agenda here. It was just a thought I had that amused me a bit and I wanted to put it out there and see what others thought. If I had an secret agenda I wouldn't have admitted that there was a troublemaking aspect to the thread.

And while I certainly admit to being liberal leaning... I'm not sure I qualify as "Far-Lefty" Then again, my board persona and reality don't always match up so if that's how I come across I can understand the opinion. Mostly, my uberleftness has to do with me responding to ridiculousness from the uberright.

Anywho, there was no evil intent behind this thread. No gotcha. A little mischief mixed with honest curiousity.

And while I certainly admit to being liberal leaning... I'm not sure I qualify as "Far-Lefty" Then again, my board persona and reality don't always match up so if that's how I come across I can understand the opinion.

Yeah, I know, you are pretty reasonable and very thoughtful. It just seemed that the question didn't fit.

Adam and Eve (first couple or whatever you want to call them) were created in the Imago Dei (Image of God) but it was their sin that corrupted that image, and it is from that corruption that God has worked from that day to redeem humanity from, and will in the New Heaven, New Earth and in the New Jerusalem that we will know what it truly means to be in the Imago Dei without the corruption of sin that taints that image today.

As per the OP, it's not your logic that's wrong....it is instead your understanding of theology.

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:50 PM ----------

Would you hold a ferral child accountable for not being able to function in society?

It's not the ability to function in society by which we will be judged, what's more is that it is not up to us to judge the hypothetical feral child, it is instead up to God in His justice, love, grace, and compassion.

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:51 PM ----------

I thought Jesus died for our sins, we got a clean slate.

No take backs.

More bad theology, you're presenting the Universalist argument which chooses to ignore so much of the New Testament.

Hey (grump)

I think I've always held the thought that some held that we are all born sinners and then get worse to be frictious. When I combined that thought this morning of we are all made in God's image it made me wonder if some believe, we were all made in God's image because we are sinners or how those views are reconciled.

We are all born with a sinful nature, think of it like an genetic disease that we inherit (not from our mothers and fathers) but instead from Adam and Eve.

As I said, it's a semi-troublemaking and semi-sincere thread.

Only trouble making if you get the theology wrong. ;)

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

This thread makes me LOL. I would be happy to debate Jesus/God/ToothFairy/Manbearpig with anyone here.

Look, I don't hate on anyone who believes in a life after this one. Its a nice thought, kinda comforting.

So you admit that you're just trolling. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:57 PM ----------

God has "sinned." He basically admitted as much, promising never again to destroy his creation with water.

:ols: LoL!!! :rotflmao:

We are all born with a sinful nature, think of it like an genetic disease that we inherit (not from our mothers and fathers) but instead from Adam and Eve.

Only trouble making if you get the theology wrong. ;)

You are a preacher right? And a liberal at that? Would you like to discuss ManBearPig throught PM?

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

So you admit that you're just trolling. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added May-29th-2011 at 05:57 PM ----------

:ols: LoL!!! :rotflmao:

You are a preacher right? And a liberal at that? Would you like to discuss ManBearPig throught PM?

If you're honestly seeking...then sure. But, if you're just looking to troll....then no thanks, I have better things to do.

BTW, I'm a preacher yes, I'm not a Liberal; I'm a Moderate. Though many would choose to challenge that. ;)

Adam and Eve (first couple or whatever you want to call them) were created in the Imago Dei (Image of God) but it was their sin that corrupted that image, and it is from that corruption that God has worked from that day to redeem humanity from, and will in the New Heaven, New Earth and in the New Jerusalem that we will know what it truly means to be in the Imago Dei without the corruption of sin that taints that image today.

Okay, this doesn't jibe with the understanding of an omnipotent God. If God's omnipotent then he wouldn't have to work from then to now... he'd just wink or snap his fingers or think it into being. I always thought that the reason we haven't recreated Eden/Utopia/Perfection was because we were supposed to figure it out and learn how to truly be mensches and good souls. It's not God's work that is incomplete and fruitless, but our struggles to regain and recreate what was lost that is.

(but starting with the assumption that my theological knowledge is limited is usually a pretty good bet)

Okay, this doesn't jibe with the understanding of an omnipotent God. If God's omnipotent then he wouldn't have to work from then to now... he'd just wink or snap his fingers or think it into being.

No, that's just what you would do if you were omnipotent.

I always thought that the reason we haven't recreated Eden/Utopia/Perfection was because we were supposed to figure it out and learn how to truly be mensches and good souls. It's not God's work that is incomplete and fruitless, but our struggles to regain and recreate what was lost that is.

And Christian theology teaches that God is redeeming creation through His work throughout history, which is continuing even today, what you call "learning how to truly be mensches and good souls" is what it means to be transformed by God into people who are sanctified.

(but starting with the assumption that my theological knowledge is limited is usually a pretty good bet)

No worries. ;)

The images of God in Old Town Alexandria were magnificent today.

The skimpy sundress probably one of his best thoughts.

His creations are a wondrous thing,some even awe inspiring.

And Christian theology teaches that God is redeeming creation through His work throughout history, which is continuing even today, what you call "learning how to truly be mensches and good souls" is what it means to be transformed by God into people who are sanctified.

Well sure, but it sounds better using Yiddish. :)

I think the other difference is simply the Jewish perspective I carry. Christians believe Jesus died for our sins that takes away a bit of the sweat (or at least I think it does). Jews believe you need to work every day to be as good a person as you can that each trial and each day matters towards becoming the best person possible or a worthy person. So, my notion of recreating paradice probably falls in line with the concept that if we follow the teachings, become learned and work towards being good people always... then you move closer and closer to Perfection.

I'm sure I'm being clumsy. I don't mean to be. I am just pretty far from perfection myself.

Archived