Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Snyder says "I don't want to be involved"

Hitman21ST

Hap, I saw you posted this in the breaking news forum, but I just wanted to open it up for discussion. Mods, if I shouldn't have done this, please have mercy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8200e43f/article/snyder-on-football-operations-i-dont-want-to-be-involved

Owner Daniel Snyder brought in coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen to guide the Redskins out of the shadows, and he has no intentions to step on their toes.

Snyder told NBC Washington on Thursday that the perception that he's hands-on -- perhaps overly so -- with football decisions is incorrect.

"You know what’s interesting ... is a little bit of a misperception here," Snyder said. "When Joe Gibbs was here for over four seasons, nobody came to talk to me about football, and the same thing now. It was very similar between Mike Shanahan and Joe Gibbs, that they take command of the football team, and I love that.

"I mean, for me it’s easy. I don’t want to be involved. I enjoyed this draft probably more than any draft we had, because these guys worked so hard at preparation. It’s very different than Vinny Cerrato -- their structure -- and I can tell you that I thought the trades and the moves that Bruce made to accomplish what he accomplished was really remarkable. It was a great Redskin day, and I think people two or three years from now are going to love this draft."

Snyder also addressed the status of quarterback Donovan McNabb, whose future with the team is unclear following a dramatic and tumultuous campaign that resulted in his benching at the end of last season.

"I think that, first of all, let's see what happens. It's really up to Bruce and Mike ... you trust them. They'll do the right thing. I don't they've made any decisions of what they want to do yet. So we'll find out."

Snyder dismissed the idea that it is "clear cut" McNabb couldn't possibly return for another season.

"No, no, I wouldn't say that at all," he said. "We'll see what happens."

Not quite sure if I believe him on the Gibbs part, but everything else is :thumbsup:

I'm OK with the Shanahan/Allen arrangement so far but lets not forget that Gibbs and Shanahan are only two out of six head coaches (not including Robiskie) that have worked for Snyder so far. Why was he compelled to be involved when the other four were in charge? Shanahan will hopefully be head coach here for close to 10 years, but won't be here forever. On what basis will Snyder choose the next guy? How will he work with him? Hopefully Bruce Allen will still be around to see the process through.

Having Snyder give more interviews seems to be a good thing, but I'd love to hear someone ask him the simple question "What do you think has been your biggest mistake since being owner of the Skins?"

Having Snyder give more interviews seems to be a good thing, but I'd love to hear someone ask him the simple question "What do you think has been your biggest mistake since being owner of the Skins?"

If the trend continues, he'll say "Vinny Cerrato"

If the trend continues, he'll say "Vinny Cerrato"

as well he should. His answer should be something like this.

"Firing Marty Shottenheimer and bringing Vinny Cerrato back is my single biggest mistake. All others pale in comparison, and I should fall on my knees and beg forgiveness from Redskins Nation for all eternity"

:ols:

One of the things I truly believe is that because he came to the NFL at such a young age and a fan of the sport, he thought he could do it his way and pretty much failed at it. Now being a little older and seeingn failure, he will tend to back up and let the football decisions be made by football people. It might be better than if he had a little success early and then continue to meddle because he had that sort of success on his own like a NFC championship or superbowl appearance.

His biggest mistake and he has mentioned it is choosing the Norvola virus over Casserly. If we kept Casserly who knows if Marty would have worked with him and not wanted full control...that could have changed our history. But if Marty stil wanted full control then I'm happy Dan said no because starting Banks or Kent Graham was a show at QB and we never would have ascended anywhere.

One of the things I truly believe is that because he came to the NFL at such a young age and a fan of the sport, he thought he could do it his way and pretty much failed at it. Now being a little older and seeingn failure, he will tend to back up and let the football decisions be made by football people. It might be better than if he had a little success early and then continue to meddle because he had that sort of success on his own like a NFC championship or superbowl appearance.

I'm sure the "fire Snyder" signs, sell the team chants, and snowballs pelting the owners box had a part in it too..

I dislike Vinny as much as anyone here, but I find it troubling to hear Snyder dissing the Vinny ways when Vinny was Snyder's guy in the first place. And Vinny was the GM under multiple Snyder HC's, most notably Gibbs and Zorn.

The contradictions are disturbing. Danny is not making sense with these interviews.

Not quite sure if I believe him on the Gibbs part, but everything else is

ya, i thought i heard gibbs say that dan had a say on personnel decisions, at the very least. could be wrong, but thats what i thought.

I dislike Vinny as much as anyone here, but I find it troubling to hear Snyder dissing the Vinny ways when Vinny was Snyder's guy in the first place. And Vinny was the GM under multiple Snyder HC's, most notably Gibbs and Zorn.

The contradictions are disturbing. Danny is not making sense with these interviews.

Snyder's admitting his mistakes, and you still find a way to turn it around and criticize him for it. :rolleyes: We get that you don't like Snyder.

You hire the wrong guy, eventually fire him, and you're not allowed to say he's the wrong guy?

Why single him out by bringing up his name? Why not just say "the past"?

Vinny was the right hand man for 10 of the 12 years Danny has run the company.

Because Vinny WAS the wrong guy. Snyder's owning up to his mistake. Save for some people's irrational hate of all things Snyder, Vinny was the centerpiece of what was wrong with the franchise.

Because Vinny WAS the wrong guy. Snyder's owning up to his mistake. Save for some people's irrational hate of all things Snyder, Vinny was the centerpiece of what was wrong with the franchise.

And after a decade you want to tell the world you were wrong and you JUST realized it? Why is he now saying the power structure was the same under 4 years of Gibbs as it is today if Vinny was a key member of the Gibbs staff?

And after a decade you want to tell the world you were wrong and you JUST realized it? Why is he now saying the power structure was the same under 4 years of Gibbs as it is today if Vinny was a key member of the Gibbs staff?

Snyder was one of the youngest owners ever of a football franchise. You give rookie players time to learn the ropes, yet you expect perfection from a rookie owner. He's taken his lumps as an owner, had growing pains, and now is realizing where and what he did wrong, and you still rag on him about it?

yet you expect perfection from a rookie owner.

I'm talking about an owner going into his 13th season, not a rookie. He's done a good job of hiding from outside media for most of his tenure. Whenever he speaks in these controlled climate interviews it's not hard to see why he usually chooses to stay quiet.

Don't get me wrong Hitman. I'm very happy with this offseason so far. Shanallen's moves for volume and no names instead of jersey sellers has me thinking the ship is finally drifting in the right direction.

But everytime I give Snyder the benefit of doubt that he's changing for the better, he fools me again.

I'm talking about an owner going into his 13th season, not a rookie. He's done a good job of hiding from outside media for most of his tenure. Whenever he speaks in these controlled climate interviews it's not hard to see why he usually chooses to stay quiet.

Don't get me wrong Hitman. I'm very happy with this offseason so far. Shanallen's moves for volume and no names instead of jersey sellers has me thinking the ship is finally drifting in the right direction.

But everytime I give Snyder the benefit of doubt that he's changing for the better, he fools me again.

To talk about Snyder as a rookie after a decade is a joke.

I am not a Snyder hater, but really????

Vinny wasn't "GM" until 2008, and considering Vinny's behavior in that last year and the quick hook, I'm not convinced he was as much "Snyder's guy" as fans think he was. I think he was talked into it by Gibbs.

I mean, if he was truely Snyder's guy, why did it take 8 years for him to run the show?

Vinny wasn't "GM" until 2008, and considering Vinny's behavior in that last year and the quick hook, I'm not convinced he was as much "Snyder's guy" as fans think he was. I think he was talked into it by Gibbs.

I mean, if he was truely Snyder's guy, why did it take 8 years for him to run the show?

Exactly.

I mean, if you're Snyder and he's your cronie for all that time, then you'd immediately give him the title but no real say, right? Instead, Vinny gets his say, behind the scenes, but no real title until '08, and then gets the title, finally, in '08? Makes no sense, really.

Dan Snyder is doing a lot of these interviews. He is worried about his image. Perhaps rightly so.

I posted this in another thread about these interviews, but it got lost in a discussion of the 2005 team, so here it is again: ;)

You know, Snyder actually comes off as a pretty likable guy in these interviews. I think he is saying most of the right things. He wants to win as much as any of us, I believe that.

The trouble is that Snyder has a long way to go to redeem himself. Some things are hard to forgive and forget. Things like: Swindling Cooke's son in the bidding to buy the team, changing the name of the stadium, charging fans to watch practice, insisting that Norv Turner bench Brad Johnson for Jeff George, firing Marty after one season, obstructed-view seating, suing season ticket holders, hiring Jim Zorn over Gregg Williams, and so on, will be tough for Snyder to overcome. The Danny has every reason to be worried about his image. His image sucks.

That being said, I think you can make a case that Snyder is getting better. I personally think Joe Gibbs taught him a lot. Two things that I think are different about the Danny post-Gibbs: (1) Danny does a lot more charity/community stuff, like in the Jack Kent Cooke days. (2) Danny lets his football people handle the football end of things.

Maybe he really is learning. I hear a lot of the obstructed-view seats are being removed. I see a new HD JumboTron at FedEx. I see that Vinny was fired, and replaced by a competent GM. You could make the case he is starting to get it. (But, like I said, he has a long way to go if he really wants redemption).

We know he wants to win. We know he is willing to spend money to win. He has learned some things over the years (maybe, that pesky Zorn hiring still irks me). So there is some hope for Snyder (maybe).

Yeah Gibbs taught him alot. Making Zorn have lunch with him to go over the gameplan happened after Gibbs. Bringing in a "consultant" to "help" Zorn with the offense happened in 2009, exactly 10 years after Danny did the same thing to Nolan.

Danny is a grade A douche.

ya, i thought i heard gibbs say that dan had a say on personnel decisions, at the very least. could be wrong, but thats what i thought.

Well what Danny said is that 'nobody came to talk to him about football', which makes it even worse that he would meddle with personnel decisions. Gibbs didn't ask for his damn help, but he made moves anyway. So he's 'kind of' admitting his mistakes in the past.

The only times Snyder wasn't involved was when championship caliber coaches were coaching our team. Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs, an Mike Shanahan didn't hear a peep from Snyder. However, Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, and Jim Zorn were the least respected head coaches and that's why Daniel Snyder was involved when these coaches coached the Redskins.

To talk about Snyder as a rookie after a decade is a joke.

I am not a Snyder hater, but really????

I'm not saying he's a rookie owner. I'm saying that, to have been expecting perfection from Snyder when he was a rookie owner is nonsense. I said he's learned the ropes and gotten rid of the baddest of bad apples in Vinny. To criticize him for the way he did it is asenine (sp?)

Archived