Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! Finance: 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America

Sticksboi05

Earlier this week, the FBI trumpeted the news that violent crime dropped 5.5% in 2010 while reported property crimes fell 2.8% during the depths of the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression. The news, though, is far from positive.

Though most regions of the U.S. saw declines, the Northeast saw an increase in murders (8.3%), forcible rapes (1.4%) and aggravated assaults (0.7%). Why that region was affected by crime more than others isn't clear. Perhaps it was because of the grinding poverty found in some of the area's cities and their high cost of living.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112804/most-dangerous-cities-247

-------------------------------------------------

1. Flint, Michigan

2. Detroit. Michigan

3. St. Louis, Missouri

4. New Haven, Connecticut

5. Memphis, Tennessee

6. Oakland, California

7. Little Rock, Arkansas

8. Baltimore, Maryland

9. Rockford, Illinois

10. Stockton, California

Earlier this week, the FBI trumpeted the news that violent crime dropped 5.5% in 2010 while reported property crimes fell 2.8% during the depths of the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression. The news, though, is far from positive.

Far from positive? An overall 5.5 percent drop in violent crime appears quite positive to me. :whoknows:

I know, it's just bad writing. They meant to say that the news is not "all" positive. Still, violent crime has been dropping for 20 years now. That is the big news.

And what areas did you visit? The stats don't lie.

True, but the stats are crimes per 100k people, so they do get inflated by the overwhelming steady decline in Detroit's population. Detroit used to have over 2 million residents - now it is about to drop below 700k.

True, but the stats are crimes per 100k people, so they do get inflated by the overwhelming steady decline in Detroit's population. Detroit used to have over 2 million residents - now it is about to drop below 700k.

It used to have almost 2 million but that was in 1950. But yes, near 300,000 have left since 1990. Staggering numbers.

As crappy as Baltimore is outside the Harbor, I have a hard time believing it is worse than say, dozens of cities south of the border.

I'm not saying Baltimore is some spectacular city, but its far from a 3rd world country. There are some bad parts and there are some good parts like the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Little Italy, Canton, Locus Point, Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, Charles Village, etc.

Been in the hood in dc and b more.......almost sharted myself by taking a wrong turn in baltimore....

But couldn't you say that about any city? I'm not saying Baltimore is great, but I feel like most major cities have their bad areas.

But couldn't you say that about any city? I'm not saying Baltimore is great, but I feel like most major cities have their bad areas.

He's saying he's been in the bad areas in both cities and Baltimore is the one that got to him. I've got the exact same experience. Baltimore is sketchy as hell.

He's saying he's been in the bad areas in both cities and Baltimore is the one that got to him. I've got the exact same experience. Baltimore is sketchy as hell.

I've been nightclubbing in Anacostia, I've been all over the Oakland flats, I've been lost in the roughest part of Baltimore, I drove a Good Humor truck loaded with cash through the West Side of Chicago in the middle of the night for an entire summer, I've been in St Louis and Roxbury Mass and the South Bronx and Compton and Stockton and from what I've seen ...

nothing compares to Detroit. For sheer hopelessness and lost souls with nothing left to lose, it can't be topped, at least not in this country.

Archived