Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**POLL** Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera

DM72

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

ESPN's First Take just had this discussion on who was more important. IMO, it's not even close. Although I hate the Yankees, Rivera is the man. With as much money the Yanks have, they could have gotten another Derek Jeter. Seriously, I believe they would have won just as many titles with Alex Rodriguez or even Miguel Tejada at SS. No amount of money would get them another Rivera. Closers come and go, but Rivera has been a constant for about 15 years and isn't slowing down.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. Sure, Rivera was an awesome weapon for shutting down the game after the 8th inning, but Jeter plays every day, plays through the entire game, and in many circumstances was at least partially if not solely responsible for the lead that Rivera was protecting. Plus he's played solid defense at one of the toughest defensive positions for about 12 years (not so much in the last 4).

Mariano Rivera never scored a run. Derek Jeter scored 1700 of them.

Mariano Rivera never batted in a run. Derek Jeter has 1150 of them.

Last I checked, the goal is to score more runs than the other team.

You need all the work done by Jeter and the others to even have a reason to bring in Rivera in the 8-9th. Both are important but the slight nod goes to Jeter for me. His leadership skills I think are being ignored. Especially in a very dynamic club house, cannot be easy.

You need all the work done by Jeter and the others to even have a reason to bring in Rivera in the 8-9th. Both are important but the slight nod goes to Jeter for me. His leadership skills I think are being ignored. Especially in a very dynamic club house, cannot be easy.

To play Devil's Advocate...you need a guy like Rivera to save those close games that Jeter and Co. have. Without a great closer like Rivera, how many more games do the Yankees lose a year?

I think if you asked Jeter who was the best SS of all time, he just might say Cal :)

Actually the answer should be Alex Rodriguez. Roids or not, like him or not, he was the best SS of all time.

Rivera is the best closer ever.

Jeter isn't even a top 5 shortstop. His range was always limited, but for the past ten years it has been downright terrible. Of course, Jeter has the special ability to take an easy grounder and make it look difficult with a fancy jump throw instead of planting and throwing like every other shotrstop. It gets him on Sportcenter, and Joe Yankee Fan always thinks he has just seen something special. Meh.

Honus Wagner.

Ernie Banks. The first power-hitting SS of all time. Love to see his numbers on roids. And him on a decent team

Someone should come up with steroid-adusted statistical model.

---------- Post added May-26th-2011 at 06:15 PM ----------

BTW, it's Rivera.

To me, Jeter is kinda just a guy who lucked out--right place, right time. How would we think of him if he played for the Indians or Padres? Still a great player but hardly an icon.

Archived