Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Why you should love $5 gas

PCS

http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/article.aspx?post=e04807fc-e307-45c7-a3b0-9fdabfac3518&GT1=33029

Why you should love $5 gas

Stop grousing about the numbers at the pump. All of this could be good for you and good for America.

As you pump 13 gallons into your Honda CR-V -- American's best-selling SUV with 28 mpg on the highway and 21 in town -- it's nearly impossible to view the $50 you're spending with a positive attitude.

With the national average for regular at $3.81, it's easy to label oil executives as pond scum, but try to remain open-minded. Think of the big picture: Though that promised road trip to Disney World has gone up in carbon monoxide, high gas prices may actually have an upside. Not for you and your family personally, maybe, but perhaps for the United States as a whole.

What if gas hit $5 a gallon? Here are some benefits (and we're serious about most of them):

Fewer people would die on the road. The less you drive, the more likely you will survive, if the events of 2008, the year of the most recent gas price surge, are correct. In 2007, 30,527 died in vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2008, that number dropped 12%, to 26,791.

*Click Link For More*

Those things sound great, but in reality, people will still be driving, flying, grocery shopping, etc. We all complain about spending a crap ton on gas, but when it comes down to it, some people don't have a choice. Public transportation isn't always an option for most and the same goes with carpooling.

Part 2

Benefits of having your leg amputated.

Sure it sounds bad, but look at the bright side:

1)You get to use a sweet wheel chair

Instead of having to "walk" and "stand", you can stroll every where that you go, and stay sitting down the whole time!

2)Better Parking spots

No more searching for parking spots, you can pull up right up front in the handicap parking spots without having to worry about a ticket or getting towed

3)Better for your heart

With less body mass, your heart will have a much easier time pumping blood throughout your body.

4)Buying a pair of socks is like buy one, get one free.

Since you only need to supply one foot with socks, every time you buy a pair of socks, you know that it will last you twice as long as those two footed suckers. You could be saving yours self tens of dollars each year!

5)Great attention getter

When people see you, you will easily stand out amongst the other boring two legged folks around you. When they ask you how you lost it, have fun "pulling their leg" as you make up stories about sharks and industrial accidents that will keep you entertained for hours.

Part 2

Benefits of having your leg amputated.

Sure it sounds bad, but look at the bright side:

1)You get to use a sweet wheel chair

Instead of having to "walk" and "stand", you can stroll every where that you go, and stay sitting down the whole time!

2)Better Parking spots

No more searching for parking spots, you can pull up right up front in the handicap parking spots without having to worry about a ticket or getting towed

3)Better for your heart

With less body mass, your heart will have a much easier time pumping blood throughout your body.

4)Buying a pair of socks is like buy one, get one free.

Since you only need to supply one foot with socks, every time you buy a pair of socks, you know that it will last you twice as long as those two footed suckers. You could be saving yours self tens of dollars each year!

5)Great attention getter

When people see you, you will easily stand out amongst the other boring two legged folks around you. When they ask you how you lost it, have fun "pulling their leg" as you make up stories about sharks and industrial accidents that will keep you entertained for hours.

:rotflmao: Holy .... Best use of sarcasm in a reply I've seen in a long time.

$5 gas just for the sake of $5 gas would be argue for, and difficult to see benefits....

TAXING gas up to the $5 level is EASY to argue the benefits:

you have to raise revenue somewhere (which would enable yo uto LOWER less economical tax rates), and raising it HERE has the added benefit of forcing consumers to incorporate some of the negative externalities associated with their driving into their decision of how much to drive (polution/carbon/gridlock..etc...)

End of wars. According to National Defense Magazine, the cost of "in theater" gasoline to our troops in Afghanistan can range from $100 to $600. The Army estimated fuel can cost up to $400 a gallon if the only way to ship it is via helicopters. (Black Hawk helicopters get 0.74 mpg, while F15-E strike fighters get 0.41 mpg.) And that was last year's prices. Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya might get too expensive for America's taste.

What a joke that is. We don't even pay attention to the actual cost of War, high fuel prices aren't slowing us down.

$5 gas just for the sake of $5 gas would be argue for, and difficult to see benefits....

TAXING gas up to the $5 level is EASY to argue the benefits:

you have to raise revenue somewhere (which would enable yo uto LOWER less economical tax rates), and raising it HERE has the added benefit of forcing consumers to incorporate some of the negative externalities associated with their driving into their decision of how much to drive (polution/carbon/gridlock..etc...)

Why not raise revenues and employment/manufacturing by exploiting our own reserves?

What is it now,about $8oo Billion a yr we send to others for oil?

Sorry. I used to fill my Yaris up for $20. It is now $40. That takes a hard toll on me and I have a 38MPG vehicle. That means I am traveling less and spending less money overall.

Agreed, this is causing me to spend less as well, these prices are really kicking my ass. It's still $4 a gallon here in columbia, MD, I swear we are getting gauged:mad:

I used to have a Volvo S40 1.9t that chugged fuel and got around 17-19 MPG mixed loop, I got sick of that gas bill and got a Hyundai Elantra that gets around 25 MPG Mixed loop (not great, but better). Now that the gas prices have hit $4 a gallon, I regret not getting a hybrid. Even with a more fuel efficient car I'm still paying around the same amount for gas as last year because of the higher fuel prices :mad::mad::mad:

I regret not getting a hybrid. Even with a more fuel efficient car I'm still paying around the same amount for gas as last year because of the higher fuel prices :mad::mad::mad:

Imagine that.. oil companies make sure you keep paying, despite the efforts being made to cut down on consumption.

I'm shocked, I tell ya! Prices rise with the popularity of hybrid vehicles that keep some folks away from the pumps. What an amazing coincidence.

This is why I say in the oil speculator thread.. it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what pie-in-the-sky reasoning they give us for the prices being this high.

They're this high because they can get this much, and they do not want to lose a dime of those record profits to any hybrid cars.

~Bang

Archived