Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you, or would you, eat Gulf Coast seafood

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My family has switched to primarily cold water fish such as halibut, cod, pollock, and cold water lobster if we want shellfish of the sort. I feel bad for the economy of those fishing area's, but i just don't want to eat any of it. Oil flowed into the Gulf for months on end. The govt may say its fine to eat, but im not buying it... literally or figuratively. We only purchase our seafood from Wegmans, and their seafood clerks can usually tell you where the fish came from, and when it came in.

Tried some a month ago via relatives from the area and it was ok.

I primarily get seafood from Wegmans, the Fisherman's Wharf (Love the Grouper) and now that its spring going into summer, every other weekend when I'm in the Va beach area one of my aunts and cousins hooks me up with a dozen fried soft shell crab and shrimp that they prepared to take back here.

Honestly, I don't if I have or not. I have ordered shrimp at various restaurants and I don't know where they got it from. It might be from the Gulf. It might not. I'd hope they made very certain that whatever seafood gets shipped from there is safe. I suspect they took extra precautions especially initially. I suppose I'll never know unless I develop some cool mutant powers.

I bought some gulf shrimp about a month ago from Krogers in Richmond. Frozen, easy peel shrimp.

They were, by far, the absolute WORST shrimp I've purchased in 20 years. Horrible. After cooking them I had to throw them away. The stench was horrible. My son commented that they smelled (after cooking) like sewage.

I will never, ever buy that crap again. And I used to buy the easy-peel from Costco all the time. Now I find out all their shrimp is from Vietnam or Thailand. Eff all that. I'll only buy east coast shrimp from now on (NC or VA).

Well, since I'm on the MS Gulf Coast, I literally eat Gulf seafood almost weekly. Have never gotten sick and the flavor is the same. Matter of fact, shrimping season started today so the price is about to drop dramatically! Can't wait to go buy shrimp right off the boats.

I bought some gulf shrimp about a month ago from Krogers in Richmond. Frozen, easy peel shrimp.

They were, by far, the absolute WORST shrimp I've purchased in 20 years. Horrible. After cooking them I had to throw them away. The stench was horrible. My son commented that they smelled (after cooking) like sewage.

I will never, ever buy that crap again. And I used to buy the easy-peel from Costco all the time. Now I find out all their shrimp is from Vietnam or Thailand. Eff all that. I'll only buy east coast shrimp from now on (NC or VA).

Wait... what?

Why would seafood from Vietnam or Thailand suddenly be different this year?

Frozen seafood typically is either mealy or mushy. How it is defrosted makes a difference, plus the true taste is masked by the watery solution they freeze them in, unless you bought individually quick frozen shrimps, which is about the same price as buying fresh, so it makes no sense to do so.

I don't know if I have eaten shrimp from the Gulf but no fresh shrimp I have eaten this year tasted horribly.

---------- Post added May-26th-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

Sometimes I am so jealous of Southern cooking. They really have a dream cuisine down there. Various fried meats, collard greens, catfish, gumbo, barbecue

If you are in the South you must be one lucky son of a gun

We are lucky. And fat.

Wait... what?

Why would seafood from Vietnam or Thailand suddenly be different this year?

I'm not saying it's different this year. What I meant was I (finally) read the package and saw that it came from either Vietnam or Thailand. Same with the Phillips crab they sell in Costco.

Archived