Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

JMac

As a competitive player from the PC side of gaming (competitive meaning I have participated in tournaments both at LANs and online and won or competed for prizes, usually cash.) this is what I think of the prospect of Modern Warfare 3.

It will be a title which sells well on the console because of the nature of console players. It will bomb on the PC worse than any other Call of Duty game ever made, including World at War.

On the PC it is customary and normal for game developers to release mod tools to the community near or slightly after the release date of the game. These mod tools are used to make modifications to the game which is one of the advantages of the PC over the console as well as dedicated servers which allow for the absolute best online experience in terms of the connection. Dedicated servers have been a part of PC games since the 90's. It was what made online gaming a possibility in the age of dial up, and it is the reason things like xbox live could evolve the way that they did.

In Modern Warfare 2, Infinity Ward (most likely under the direction of Activision) took the first step in a series of steps to alienate the PC and specifically the competitive community. They tailored the game towards consoles, ported it to the PC, and used the console net code, eliminating dedicated servers and making the game p2p. It was a horrendous disaster.

With Black Ops, the dedicated servers returned but with limited functionality than previous games (to protect player's precious stats). Rather than buying a public server and having the ability to lock it and play matches in it when you pleased, public servers couldn't be controlled properly through rcon commands and you had to buy two different servers if you wanted a public and private server.

The development team at Treyarch promised in August of last year to release the developer/mod tools at or shortly after the release date in November. When December came and there were no mod tools they hinted it would be out after New Year's. In mid January they promised that mod tools would be part of the first strike DLC which was coming out in Feb. They also assured everyone it would be free. In mid Feb. the release of first strike on the PC was delayed until early March, and it was announced that there wouldn't be mod tools with this pack, and that the DLC would cost 15 dollars.

Then they did the exact same thing with the 2nd DLC...whatever stupid name they thought up for that I don't even remember. Soon summer will turn to fall, there will be no mod tools. Activision is pulling the strings on this of course, they're trying to milk everybody for everything they can. Why not? Idiots keep paying for it anyway when they break all their promises and produce a steaming pile of **** so why shouldn't a free market company try to make as much money as it can? I mention all of this because mod tools are essential for making competition mods, and changing slight aspects of the game which aren't good for competitive play. An example of this would be getting hit indicators through walls or with grenades...the red dots on the compass, ambient noises making it impossible to hear footsteps at times, the fact that for some reason in black ops they decided to have everybody make noise even while crouch walking. Mods are needed to keep perks and certain illegal weapons/attachments/grenades, etc. disabled for competitive use. Treyarch, IW before the founders split from it, and Activision have all ****ed over PC players, especially PC Competitive players.

The console players out there have the same experience they expect out of Call of Duty games, and many of you I'm sure are completely confused as to what the **** I'm talking about. Well I must apologize for this rant but as somebody who loves to compete and break down a game for a higher level of game play, I've felt like choking to death the people in charge of these games ever since Modern Warfare. Call of Duty 2 was one of the best PC games ever made and one of the most entertaining I've ever played in competition.

Also, I remember the dismay with which I read an article some years ago about why the Call of Duty series was moving away from the WW2 genre. They felt that after making Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive (Expansion pack) and Call of Duty 2 for the PC, the WW2 genre was played out for good. Sure they made World at War later, but they made the decision to leave WW2 after 2 games and 1 expansion.

We have now had to endure Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, and will endure Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Thats 4 games. Its ****ing played out Activision. Jesus I don't know whats so appealing. At least weapons were varied and balanced in the WW2 era games. Snipers which weren't semi-auto, bolt action rifles, semi-auto, machine guns, sub machine guns, shotguns. They were all useful and balanced for competition.

In competition in the modern setting CoD games you basically have the choice of using the AK47 or the AK74. Sure the Commando is ok, but thats about it. The sniper is ****ing broken and we didn't have mod tools to make it viable in competitive play where the players are good enough to outsnipe a sniper across the map due to the sluggish scope time and iffy hit registration, the shotguns are worthless like they were in cod4, and they had to disallow the use of the Famas and Aug because they were proven to deal more damage over a shorter period of time with similar accuracy and speed compared to other guns in the game. In other words they were overpowered and every match boiled down to 5 famas' vs. 5 famas'.

****, I'll bet none of you have any concept of what I'm talking about, but you gotta vent somewhere huh?

Console gamers- Don't take what I said as something directed at you. The console is a different platform and expects different things, the **** I'm rambling about has nothing to do with it.

I am not becoming the plane ***** in the new one either. I think i shot down at least 1K planes in MW2. I need to find out how many i have

I guarantee you had more planes shot down then you did opponent kills....just sayin..

Oh and i agree about what was said earlier about es clan, some of the best times were in the lobby when Vishal started off talking trash and then BLT chimes in only to hear "Is that your real voice" HA!!!

I guarantee you had more planes shot down then you did opponent kills....just sayin..

Oh and i agree about what was said earlier about es clan, some of the best times were in the lobby when Vishal started off talking trash and then BLT chimes in only to hear "Is that your real voice" HA!!!

Bull****! check my stats will ya!

maximus71, whats your SN? have you played with us?

Forcefed... I have played many times with you guys. Work is kicking my ass lately so no gaming for me but this game looks great.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 05:18 PM ----------

Hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, are you making fun of me?

Heyyyyyyyy, I ll be upstairs in the bedroom guys.. okayyyy lol

I'll probably get it, but not when it first comes out. It'll be more of the same. The same game as MW and MW2 with a different "plot" and different levels. But it will have the same frustrations. Maps too small. Jumpers. Tubers. Just more of the same drivel.

What sucks, what truly sucks, is that it will make an insane amount of cash. Other developers will look at it and stop making anything new or different. They'll just make clones of it. No more LA Noir or Mass Effect or Dragon's Age. Those games will take longer because they'll be less profitable and they won't be as good because the developers won't have as much talent or time.

Can't wait for the new modern warefare to come out. I think the world at war and black ops collection are a weak product compared to MW. Going to have to schedule off work for those first two days and maybe get somebody to take notes for me in class haha.

I am reserving judgement on this game. The original COD and MW developers did not make this one. I am waiting to see if it is another "WaW" or "Black Ops" game just labeled as MW3.

as far as multiplayer goes, i'm looking forward to BF3 more then MW3 because all the IW guys that made IW good went to EA. it'll be a decent game still (not sure the hate on BO) but it won't be MW2 (of course before noob tubers, glitched care packages etc hit the street hard)

Archived