Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

JMS

University of Alabama Birmingham... Pretty cool..

Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

Seventeen lost pyramids are among the buildings identified in a new satellite survey of Egypt.

More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also revealed by looking at infra-red images which show up underground buildings.

Initial excavations have already confirmed some of the findings, including two suspected pyramids.

The work has been pioneered at the University of Alabama at Birmingham by US Egyptologist Dr Sarah Parcak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13522957

The history behind the two previously undiscovered Pyramids will be interesting. Ever since I was young, I always wondered what was buried beneath all that sand.

It's more than two. They've done initial excavations on two, confirming that they are pyramids, but the infrared survey detected 17.

The history behind the two previously undiscovered Pyramids will be interesting. Ever since I was young, I always wondered what was buried beneath all that sand.

Well, we already know that an undead mummy is underneath that sand somewhere, so we'd better keep Brendan Fraser on speed dial.

It's more than two. They've done initial excavations on two, confirming that they are pyramids, but the infrared survey detected 17.

Wow, that's a lot of pyramids and Im assuming former pharaoh's...? Would this re-write the history of the ancient Egyptians, or possibly date the civilization as much older then believed? Both?

Also, how do these pyramids get covered in sand but Giza and the Sphynx stay uncovered by blowing sand?

Could the pyramids be THAT much older?

Thanks for posting this item. I'm very interested in archeology and this looks to be an interesting story. One of my interests is also Pompeii.

Not to digress too much, but ive read that Pompeii (among other Italian historical sites) is crumbling and in bad shape these days. I went with my parents as a child, I wish I would have paid closer attention.

Archived