Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: How many Ring of Famers have played in the Dan Snyder era?

SMOSS89

What were you doing on May 25th, 1999?

Perhaps you don't remember quite clearly because you were too busy

while talking on your primitive cell phone so you didn't have to use up the phone line that was being occupied by your 56k internet connection.

But in case you don't remember, on that day, the Daniel M. Snyder Era of Redskins football began.The young businessman bought the Redskins and the fanbase has never been the same since.

We all know what the results were in the last 12 years, so there's no need to go over them. Here's my question, however:

How many Redskins Ring of Famers have played during the Snyder era?

I've got a few in mind who could be considered ROFers and I'll see what you guys think.

Now, remember, Sean Taylor is already in the ROF and I will exclude him from this conversation. He would have been on this list had he still been an active player.

1. Chris Samuels: Pretty obvious here. The first an only first round offensive lineman picked from 2000-2009 was pretty stellar for the Redskins during a relatively dark period of the franchises history. He went to six Pro Bowls during that time and was easily the team's best lineman during his entire 10 year career. A no brainer. It's just a matter of when he gets the call at this point.

2. Santana Moss: I got to admit, this is somewhat conditional. He is a free agent at the moment, and if he re-signs, it's a lock he becomes a ROFer. He is by far the most productive receiver in the Dan Snyder era, and frankly, was well worth the salary cap hit it took to bring him here in the Coles trade back in 2005.

Click HERE to see rest of post.

Great list and great read. The only thing that I would add to it would be London Fletcher. The guy has been a monster for us for a while now, and is showing no signs of slowing down. He needs to have a few more productive seasons here, but if he does he will definitely end up on the ring.

I love reading your work SMOSS man, but that narcissistical D/Bag LaVar? After the way he gutlessley attacked Coach Gibbs? After the way he continues to attack this organization at every given opportunity? After the way he repeatedly **** all over his coaches, teammates and everyone of the fans by wasting his God given natural talent and arrogantly refusing to conform to the defensive schemes by just going out there and doing his own thing?

Aside from the fact in his 6 years he did little to earn the honour, that waste of space dispicable POS is the single FURTHEST thing from a Redskin Ring of Famer you could ever wish to meet.

Jansen's a top call. As is Fletch if he lasts another few years at such a high level. 4 years to date is a little too soon to consider him. I was thinking Phil Daniels, but I don't think he's done enough on the field to deserve the accolade, as core a Redskin as he's been these past 6 years or so.

Hail.

*Edit* Randy Thomas maybe? Only 6 years here, but all at a very high level of line play.

I don't think outside of Portis and Samuels that anyone else deserves to be there. Many of the guys in the Ring of Fame were either a part of our glory years or had exceptional individual accolades. Being a fan favorite, or coach favorite shouldn't entitle a player to be in a circle of recognition with our all-time greats...

I don't think outside of Portis and Samuels that anyone else deserves to be there. Many of the guys in the Ring of Fame were either a part of our glory years or had exceptional individual accolades. Being a fan favorite, or coach favorite shouldn't entitle a player to be in a circle of recognition with our all-time greats...

Sellers has done pretty well for himself, and One Man Gang has played OL, TE, DL, LB, and ST.

Sellers has done pretty well for himself, and One Man Gang has played OL, TE, DL, LB, and ST.

He's versatile...but not dominant. He isn't in the same stratosphere as Andy Farkas was. Sellers had one Pro Bowl season, and has been living off of it ever since...

Ring of Fame? I am not sure if I would put any in. Portis has a case on sheer statistics, but doesn't really have the memories to back it up. Moss was a No. 1 that everyone always said should be a No. 2... does that rate him immortality? Not in my book. Chris Samuels might be worthy. Sean Taylor, but more for potential than what was achieved on the football field. Jeff George is a lock. A sleeper might be Rock Cartwright who was pretty good at everything had a knack for pulling off a big special team's play when needed and gave the game everything he had. Cooley is a good tight end, but again, doesn't have the accolades and memories to make him one of the all time greats. For me, this is a tough one. It's been a pretty lean decade.

Ring of Fame? I am not sure if I would put any in. Portis has a case on sheer statistics, but doesn't really have the memories to back it up. Moss was a No. 1 that everyone always said should be a No. 2... does that rate him immortality? Not in my book. Chris Samuels might be worthy. Sean Taylor, but more for potential than what was achieved on the football field. Jeff George is a lock. A sleeper might be Rock Cartwright who was pretty good at everything had a knack for pulling off a big special team's play when needed and gave the game everything he had. Cooley is a good tight end, but again, doesn't have the accolades and memories to make him one of the all time greats. For me, this is a tough one. It's been a pretty lean decade.

Moss destroyed the Cowboys his entire career, Portis carried the offense for most of this decade when healthy, and Cooley....well I guess I can kinda see your point on him. JC's favorite checkdown target lol...anyways, it sounds like you're counting the lack of talent around these guys against them.

Its not up to them what moves the FO makes, so i don't penalize them for the lack of a dynasty. Ah well, you're 10 years older, so its no suprise you see things differently.

I'm not saying I'm right, nostalgia is subjective and so is this topic. Going to assume you were kidding about Jeff George and Rock Cartwright.

Moss destroyed the Cowboys his entire career, Portis carried the offense for most of this decade when healthy, and Cooley....well I guess I can kinda see your point on him. JC's favorite checkdown target lol...anyways, it sounds like you're counting the lack of talent around these guys against them.

Its not up to them what moves the FO makes, so i don't penalize them for the lack of a dynasty. Ah well, you're 10 years older, so its no suprise you see things differently.

I'm not saying I'm right, nostalgia is subjective and so is this subject.

Put it this way...the 80's and 90's guys probably make up the majority of the Ring of Fame. There is only one guy from the 90's that didn't play on the Super Bowl teams who made the ROF...Terry Allen. The only Ring of Famer that retired in the 00's is #28.

Portis is the #2 rusher all-time for the franchise. Samuels was a dominant LT who played his entire career here. Other than that, who else deserves it?

Put it this way...the 80's and 90's guys probably make up the majority of the Ring of Fame. There is only one guy from the 90's that didn't play on the Super Bowl teams who made the ROF...Terry Allen. The only Ring of Famer that retired in the 00's is #28.

Portis is the #2 rusher all-time for the franchise. Samuels was a dominant LT who played his entire career here. Other than that, who else deserves it?

Good post. If its that exclusive a membership, then I'm fine with Portis and Samuels being the only two to make it.

Personally I'd throw in Moss too, but then again I really hate the Cowboys....but Moss did take some plays off with JC back there.

Really seems like Fletcher would be more likely than Moss though, if consistency is a big factor. Gotta draw the line somewhere, I guess.

Yes, was kidding on Jeff George, but was somewhat serious on Rock. I don't think he makes it or get in, but he was a Redskin with a very long history and was such a great heart and effort guy. Was he a star? No, and for that reason you probably can't do it, but he really was a very good player for us whenever we called upon him.

Yes, was kidding on Jeff George, but was somewhat serious on Rock. I don't think he makes it or get in, but he was a Redskin with a very long history and was such a great heart and effort guy. Was he a star? No, and for that reason you probably can't do it, but he really was a very good player for us whenever we called upon him.

I like Rock Cartwright as well,but if we're voting in fan favorite effort type players, Lorenzo Alexander should top that short list.

I really like Lorenzo for the same reason I rooted for Rock. Although one is a giant and the other a hobbit :)

Both are great effort and heart guys. Something we've seen too little of overall recently. Hopefully, that's changing. Here's hoping we've reached the end of the Diva era anyway.

I really like Lorenzo for the same reason I rooted for Rock. Although one is a giant and the other a hobbit :)

Both are great effort and heart guys. Something we've seen too little of overall recently. Hopefully, that's changing. Here's hoping we've reached the end of the Diva era anyway.

Agreed, and I think it'd be hard to make a case that things aren't changing. Shanny's focus on character and work ethic this last draft is a giant step in the right direction. I hope its a brighter decade than the last one. I'm a pretty pessimistic person, so me having hope says something.

We still suck, but at least they're approaching the draft like a rebuild.

Here is my list

Samuels

Portis

Cooley

BMitch

Orakpo (potentially)

Moss (only if he is resigned and continues to ball, although I'll never not love the Cowboy Killa)

That's it that's the list and a big NO to Lavar

BTW...It's RING OF HONOR, not Ring of Famers.

Samuels is the only guy I'd put in. However, Snyder's marketing machine will need some amo for hyping ROH induction ceremonies over the next decade; thus I predict Portis, Moss, Cooley and Janzen will all get in.

I pray that Lavar Arrington does not get in. The dude was so mediocre it was sickening.

Archived