Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What classifies a shoe as a "dress shoe"?

Gator Bait

I buy all my dress shoes from Kohls or Payless...they don't last as long as I'd like, but you get what you pay for. I've never had problems with comfort, but if you have sole inserts, can you use them with pretty much any shoe?

I buy all my dress shoes from Kohls or Payless...they don't last as long as I'd like, but you get what you pay for. I've never had problems with comfort, but if you have sole inserts, can you use them with pretty much any shoe?

So then isn't it better to buy a $200 pair of dress shoes that will last 5 years? Instead going every year to find a new pair that you like. Especially if you wear them to work a lot.

that's what my mom said....I thought now days it was more "in" to wear slip on dress shoes...but now coming from two different people...you two are probably right.

I think it more or less depends on the environment/setting, the individual & their personal style, & the suit.

Depends on what look you want. I prefer lace up shoes with a jacket or tie. But also prefer them in a professional environment.

I wear slip on shoes when I am in Vegas or going out to a bar that I need to dress up for. But love some comfortable lace ups that are the cross between sneakers and lace ups when I want to be comfortable and just rock jeans.

So then isn't it better to buy a $200 pair of dress shoes that will last 5 years? Instead going every year to find a new pair that you like. Especially if you wear them to work a lot.

I am of the same mind. I used to buy 100 dollar shoes, but if they only last a year what's the point? Some brands hold up better than others. I'm very hard on my shoes, apparently. But I've had a pair of Allen Edmonds black lace up wingtips for I want to say 5 years. They still look great. OK they are over 300, but I didn't pay that. I think I got them at DSW or some place like that and paid like 129. To me that's better than buying a 70 dollar pair of nunn bush shoes only to have them fall apart in a year.

Another brand I think holds up pretty well in Johnson Murphy.

Maybe, but I'm terrified of the price tag on those, because I figure they'll fall apart in a year :ols: I swear the sidewalks of DC have some chemical in them that causes my shoes to disintegrate.

Again, I'm gonna preference this by saying that I'm in the sciences where dressing up too well counts against your credibility. That being said, I remember when I first made the switch to loafers. I grew up in laces (I remember having some penny loafers when I was about 7, but they hurt my feet so I never wore them), but I always hated having to tie my shoes - to this day. So I would just leave them tied. Bus was hurting the shoes (i think) and contributing to their quick demise.

So when I had to defend my dissertation, I went out and bought these shoes from Macys.

pKCP-9264412v383x392.jpg

I remember thinking (are these shoes for a suit? for business causal? or for a tuxedo? I've gotten numerous compliments on them since I started wearing them (although that could be just people trying to get on my good side), and like the ones I posted earlier, normally I wear them when I'm presenting in a suit at a conference. I was in Austin, TX last year and had to walk about 4 blocks from the hotel to the convention center every day and these shoes felt soooooo good. The other thing is that they are a soft leather, so they feel different than most shoes I've bought.

I'm not too worried about that. People are gonna think what people are gonna think. I'm not ashamed of myself and if some people feel the need to look down on me (figuratively) then **** 'em.

I think he was insinuating reference to an exceptionally tiny penis, if i am not mistaken ;)

for the record, I believe that the penis/shoe correlation is not backed up by ANY empirical studies!

(I suppose i suould fess up to the that fact that while i am fairly tall (almost 6'2") I have relatively small feet for my height... so like i said: EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS!)

I think he was insinuating reference to an exceptionally tiny penis, if i am not mistaken ;)

for the record, I believe that the penis/shoe correlation is not backed up by ANY empirical studies!

(I suppose i suould fess up to the that fact that while i am fairly tall (almost 6'2") I have relatively small feet for my height... so like i said: EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS!)

Yeah that's the correlation I was making earlier. However, I don't think he picked up on it.:)

Archived