Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What classifies a shoe as a "dress shoe"?

Gator Bait

I need to buy some dress shoes that I will wear at work with my dress pants and shirts (no tie or jacket) but also want to be able to wear them with my suits. I have an unfortunate issue of absolutely terrible feet that hurt when I wear just about any shoe. I've found Clarks casual shoes with "Sole" inserts that I got from my physical therapist are the only combo that don't hurt my feet!

I went into DSW today and looked in the dress shoe section. I could tell the majority of the shoes would end up hurting my feet in the long run. The guy at the store told me to go with Florsheims, but they run too narrow for my feet. The only shoe I found would fit my needs are this one:

Sandro Moscoloni

img-thing.jpg

but in my opinion this is not a shoe that should be worn with a suit.

Anyone have any ideas for me on a dress shoe that will fit my needs that doesn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks....I'd rather be in the $100 range if possible.

Depends on your style. Personally I think a shoe that goes with a suit should have laces.

that's what my mom said....I thought now days it was more "in" to wear slip on dress shoes...but now coming from two different people...you two are probably right.

that's what my mom said....I thought now days it was more "in" to wear slip on dress shoes...but now coming from two different people...you two are probably right.

Well you will never go wrong with a stylish dress up lace shoe.

Opinions vary on a slip on. Personally for me it comes of as too casual.

Well you will never go wrong with a stylish dress up lace shoe.

Opinions vary on a slip on. Personally for me it comes of as too casual.

I saw some slip ons that I personally would classify as a dress shoe you can wear with a suit, but unfortunately none of them were comfortable and the ones I showed in the picture above look like they would work with slacks and a dress shirt or jeans with a polo....but not with a suit at a formal event.

Try Ecco shoes. They are a Danish company but you can find them anywhere. They make very comfortable dress shoes and better designed to walk in than most American shoes. I walk over half a mile from the metro to my office and these are the only dress shoes I find that don't hurt you feet if you walk further than a block.

Try Ecco shoes. They are a Danish company but you can find them anywhere. They make very comfortable dress shoes and better designed to walk in than most American shoes. I walk over half a mile from the metro to my office and these are the only dress shoes I find that don't hurt you feet if you walk further than a block.

thanks for the advice...I did see Ecco in DSW, didn't try them on because I had never heard of them...but I'll definitely go back tomorrow and try some out!

Rockport all the way. And I'm all for no laces, but I'm not too formal of a guy and laces get in the way.

---------- Post added May-24th-2011 at 10:37 PM ----------

SS11_M_K54474_FASSLER_MAIN.PNG

These are the shoes I wear when I'm giving a presentation. They're comfortable to stand in for hours at a time or walk around the conference, but look formal enough to go with my suits.

I was a big fan of rockports until I discovered Clarks.....I wore nothing but rockports until I tried my first pair of Clarks...and that was it.

Those are very nice looking shoes...but in my opinion those only go with jeans and business casual clothing...I wouldn't wear those w/ a suit

although...I am wearing a tan poplin suit to a wedding...so maybe I get away with a shoe like this

Ehhh...I've got a pair of Kenneth Cole slip ons that I wouldn't trade for the world. Most comfortable shoe I've ever had. Unfortunately, they no longer make it & I'm on my last pair of them. I think they're fine with a 2 pc suit. The 3pc suit I just bought however, no. That one gets the lace up Italian leather dress shoe because the vest instantly makes it a bit more of a formal look.

I know you're short, like, really short...but a 5?? No way.

We seem to have disproportionately small feet in my family. I often settle for size 6-7 because I can't find decent shoes in my size, and my brother who's 5 or 6 inches taller than me can wear them fine.

I just bought some Florsheims the other day to wear with my suit. Haven't actually wore them yet, so I don't know how comfortable they are. But I also picked up some "Novos" by Steve Madden the other day. Those are perfect to wear with dress pants and shirt. Those shoes are amazingly comfortable. And they are stylish as all get out. In fact, I'm gonna pick up a brown pair pretty soon to wear with jeans.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 01:34 AM ----------

I saw some slip ons that I personally would classify as a dress shoe you can wear with a suit, but unfortunately none of them were comfortable and the ones I showed in the picture above look like they would work with slacks and a dress shirt or jeans with a polo....but not with a suit at a formal event.

Like others have stated, go with laces with a suit. It just looks more formal (better). Btw, the Novos from Steve Madden I mentioned above, are slip ons. GREAT shoes!

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 01:37 AM ----------

conversely, when you wear a size 5, you just try to find dress shoes that fit :(

A FIVE? Damn dude.

Btw, I wouldn't go around telling people I wore a 5. You know what the first thing that will come to their mind, right?

A FIVE? Damn dude.

Btw, I wouldn't go around telling people I wore a 5. You know what the first thing that will come to their mind, right?

I'm not too worried about that. People are gonna think what people are gonna think. I'm not ashamed of myself and if some people feel the need to look down on me (figuratively) then **** 'em.

I'm not too worried about that. People are gonna think what people are gonna think. I'm not ashamed of myself and if some people feel the need to look down on me (figuratively) then **** 'em.

Just messin' with ya, man. You have a good attitude about it. And its not like you can help being short.

I don't think slip ons are out of the question for a suit, but only if they are black. I work as a Tuxedo salesman and I wear black slip ons with my suits all the time; but I only wear black suits and black shoes. The pants cover where the laces would be anyways.

All of the slip ons posted so far have been too casual but that's mostly because they are brown. You could wear something like this with a suit no problem. detail_threequarter.jpg

They may be slip on, but the black sleek look makes them fine to wear with a suit Just make sure they are ALWAYS well polished.

Archived