Extremeskins

Best R.E.M. Album?

Sticksboi05

1. Reckoning

2. Murmur

3. Monster

4. Document

5. Life's Rich Pageant

Back in about 1983 or so I saw REM open for the Police at the Capital Centre.

They were AWFUL. That place was so big and cavernous.. their sound just echoed around all that concrete and turned to mud. I remember leaning to my buddy and saying "these guys suck,, this will be the last we ever hear of them!"

Oops.

~Bang

1. Reckoning

2. Murmur

3. Monster

4. Document

5. Life's Rich Pageant

Back in about 1983 or so I saw REM open for the Police at the Capital Centre.

They were AWFUL. That place was so big and cavernous.. their sound just echoed around all that concrete and turned to mud. I remember leaning to my buddy and saying "these guys suck,, this will be the last we ever hear of them!"

Oops.

~Bang

Hahaha, oops indeed.

Document is the easy #1 for me. I've also been fond of Green for some reason, though I never see it mentioned by other fans of the band. I agree with LKB, although I'd up that 1 or 2 to "half the songs on every album" don't feel inspiring. R.E.M. has always made half-albums to me, but those halves are almost always really, really good.

I'm not a huge REM guy, but I love the album Automatic for the People.

By the way, last on this list should be Monster. That album was awful.

:ols:

See, I'm the opposite. I really like Monster, and I think Automatic is my least favorite..

~Bang

Here are my favorites in order of most to least. I left off compilation albums and Chronic Town.

1. Automatic for the People .

2. Out of Time

3. New Adventures in Hi Fi

4. Monster

5. Lifes Rich Pageant

6. Murmur

7. Reckoning

8. Document

9. Up

10. Green

11. Fables of the Reconstruction

12. Around the Sun

13. Reveal

14. Accelerate

15. I've only heard a couple clips of Collapse into Now, so I don't know where it belongs.

I like their 90s stuff much better than 80s for the most part, and their more recent albums have been pretty poor IMO.

used to love REM back before they got huge- i'm talking about pre-document. i loved all their stuff before you could understand what michael stipe was saying. i'd go...

1. lifes rich pageant. (begin the begin, fall on me...classic)

2. murmur- its all great

3. fables of the reconstruction- driver 8, feeling gravitys pull. awesome

4. chronic town- may not count, but it was like crack. i'd listen over and over. still dont know what stipe was saying.

5. reckoning. kind of a downer, but still good

after that, meh. something was different. they cleaned up their sound too much. and stipe started trying to actually sing. kind of like metallica and james hetfield. grrrrrrr.

used to love REM back before they got huge- i'm talking about pre-document. i loved all their stuff before you could understand what michael stipe was saying. i'd go...

How popular were REM in the early-mid-80s anyway? Always kinda wondered that. I had never heard of them until my dad bought Out of Time when I was 9 or 10. Is there another more recent band you could compare them to in terms of popularity in that timeframe?

How popular were REM in the early-mid-80s anyway? Always kinda wondered that. I had never heard of them until my dad bought Out of Time when I was 9 or 10. Is there another more recent band you could compare them to in terms of popularity in that timeframe?

For me it was U2 and R.E.M. and the Police. That was my power trio of 80's bands.

i think they were an HFS type band, not really played much on mainstream radio. although i do remember 'radio free europe' played on american bandstand. wacky. i only knew their older stuff cuz i had a sister in college. introduced me to the smiths, the cure, the cult, all that.

i think their first mainstream hit was 'the one i love' in 1987.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

For me it was U2 and R.E.M. and the Police. That was my power trio of 80's bands.

u2 and REM were it for me in the 80's.posters on my wall, t shirts and the whole bit. but i do love old police now, didnt really follow them there. good power trio though!

So for those of you who didn't like Automatic...why?

I thought it was a little TOO political. I don't mind politics in music, but that one was more of an accusation in feel than a protest or an expression of belief.

And, to be honest I felt it got dated because of it rather quickly.

Of course, given the current climate, it may be quite relevant again, especially "Ignoreland".

(Now, this is not say I didn't like the album.. I like them all. I own Automatic, but it's probably the one I play the least.)

~Bang

I don't think you can explain their mid-80s popularity in terms that make sense in 2011. I really don't want to dig this stuff up, but I bet that the sales of Fables at the time would qualify for the top ten now.

They were certainly the top of the heap when it came to American college/independent rock. They could certainly fill "theaters" when they toured, as long as they stuck to the proper markets. By 1987, they were big enough to get top 40 and MTV airplay despite the fact that their label was I.R.S. That was almost unfathomable for a "college rock" act then. I was in junior high then and "The One I Love" was certainly well known. It was no "Pour Some Sugar on Me" but people knew it.

The best way to explain it is that they were as big as it was possible for an act not on a major label to be. As soon as they signed to Warner Brothers and released Green, they got pretty big. Every kid in my high school knew the lyrics to "Stand" in 1988 and a lot of kids discovered "Eponymous." They could headline 5000-seat venues. With Out of Time, they became U2-big.

In 1987, they were probably as big as The Smiths and The Cure were in the US - though The Smiths and The Cure were huge acts in the UK so their paths were a little different. All of them were fringe Top 40 groups that were huge on college radio stations. All got played on 120 Minutes. All could play decent-sized venues when they toured here.

Their closest American counterpart was probably 10,000 Maniacs - though I don't ever remember a 10,000 Maniacs song penetrating the mainstream as deep as One I Love until the 90s. They certainly didn't have a hit as big as Stand for many years.

They were certainly not on U2's level until the 90s. U2 could sell 20 million albums in 1987.

Their closest American counterpart was probably 10' date='000 Maniacs - though I don't ever remember a 10,000 Maniacs song penetrating the mainstream as deep as One I Love until the 90s. They certainly didn't have a hit as big as Stand for many years.

[/quote']

i would guess that 'these are days' was their biggest commercial hit. i believe it was their last album. they probably could have been big if they had stuck together. i loved 10,000 maniacs. too bad merchant left.

Archived