Trip to Washington D.C. recommendations

Skins Fan in NM

Is OJ the killer or not??  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Is OJ the killer or not??

• Yes
    • No
    • Need more evidence to make up mind

Hey all, I'm taking a trip to Washington D.C. here on Thursday with my fiance, will be staying close to the National Mall area about a mile away. Just trying to get some recommendations on where to eat or sights to see.

I'm already going to see the Lincoln Memorial and White House and those things but is there something that the locals know about that a tourist might not know. I plan on eating at Grillfish because it's close to our hotel and watch UFC at Buffalo Billards on Saturday.

Really anything would help whether it be resturants, how to travel throughout town (rail, cab), sights, is the zoo really nice? I'm a huge skins fan, anything I can do with that? Thanks skins fans for your info.

I highly recommend midnight sex on the mall. If you aren't into that, a late night stroll through the war memorials on Memorial weekend is bound to provide some poignant moments and gives a better perspective than during the day. Walk through Arlington cemetery. Rolling thunder at the pentagon is a must.

If you haven't done so, you should definitely check out a few museums (Air & Space, Natural History, etc.) and spend a fair amount of time on the Mall. There are a ton of great restaurants and bars in the Dupont Circle area. Buffalo Billards is fine, but it's not a local place. I would venture out and find a different/local bar. The Metro will take you to most places you'll want to check out (including the Zoo), but you should cab it late at night since the Metro shuts down around midnight.

Yeah it's great just walking around the mall and going into whatever museum you want whenever you want... I love going to local bars/nontouresty places, chatting it up with people and asking their recommendations on things to see...

I've never been to DC, but I couldn't imagine not visiting The Smithsonian Museum.

The would actually be multiple museums. It is not just one, but if you are staying near the mall this should be high on your list. The Air and Space was my favorite as a kid. As an adult it is now the modern art museum(Hirshhorn Museum).

Have lunch at Five Guys, not dinner. It is a staple of DC. There is also Ben's Chill Bowl, but I think it is overrated food wise, just a famous eatry.

If you're here on a Sat/Sun, I HIGHLY suggest you try Masa 14. $35 pre-fixe all-you-can-eat brunch. HUGE menu to select from. Drinks are included as well...two types of bloody marys, two types of mimosas, and a lemon lager. It's SOOOOO good. Easy to make reservations too.

The view from the top of the Washington Monument isn't worth the wait or the cost. Seeing it is good enough. Definitely see the Air and Space and Natural History Museums. I recommend the American History Museum, but I'm a history nerd. If you have time, the National Zoo is certainly worth a visit.

Food wise there's some very nice Ethiopian restaurants (which is a style you can't get in a lot of areas). I'd check out one of them in Adam's Morgan. A night out in Georgetown is pretty standard fair. Weighing yourself in money at the Mint can be fun esp. if you guess within 2% and get to keep the money if right.

Thanks all for the great tips, I am staying at the Embassy Suites on 22nd St. I will probably be able to try out most of these resturants that you guys suggested since I will be there from Thursday till Sunday.

Sounds like the Air and Space is a must and the zoo. Our zoos suck in New Mexico.

If you like military history, there is the Navy Yards.... I loved to go there as a kid.... It was cool as hell b/c in the Navy Museum you could sit and operate real guns from battleships and destroyers. They had periscopes from subs and outside in the Marine Corps section they had tanks and half tracks you could play on. It was rad.

Don't waste your time at any of the museums you have to pay for. There are plenty of great choices that are free and better.

Museums better than the Smithsonian? I find that hard to believe.

Do you like beer ? Bier Baron http://www.bierbarondc.com/

food? Vidalia http://www.vidaliadc.com/

dive bar ? Lucky Bar http://www.luckybardc.com/

I am just looking at places near you. G'Town waterfront is still cool.

Depends on your budget and what you like to do. Tons of places to eat. Tons of places to see. It's what you want to do. I used to love walking around at the national mall late night. I loved getting hotdogs from Manouch at GW/Foggy bottom in front of 2000 Penn.

Archived