Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cleveland.com: New Ohio Turnpike speed limit brings quick change: Road Rant

China

New Ohio Turnpike speed limit brings quick change: Road Rant

After the Ohio Turnpike speed limit rose to 70 mph last month, nearly one in five travelers took that as an invitation to drive at least 80, according to the State Highway Patrol.

A speed survey earlier this month showed a spike in traffic zoom-zoom-zooming at 80 mph or more, reports Capt. Chris Zurcher, commander of the patrol's turnpike operation. Troopers clocked 19 percent of cars going 80 or faster during the survey, the first one done since the toll road's legal speed increased from 65 to 70 mph on April 1.

The trend alarms Zurcher: "Eighty miles per hour is too fast, period," he said.

And fyi . . . Zurcher said troopers will write tickets for that speed.

Now a few other fast facts:

• Overall on the turnpike, the average speedometer reading for passenger cars ticked up to 76 mph with the higher limit, according to the recent survey. (Cars clocked in at 74 mph during a November survey before the speed limit change.) Commercial trucks on the toll road cruised at 68 mph compared to 64 mph in the fall.

• The extra dash of speed hasn't led to more crashes. In fact, numbers decreased slightly in April from the previous year. Troopers investigated 141 crashes compared to 145 in April 2010.

The turnpike has seen one fatal crash so far in 2011, equal to the number at the same point last year.

• Speed seems to work for business.

The number of trucks using the turnpike increased with the speed limit in April, rising slightly while total traffic decreased. (Officials attribute the overall drop to higher fuel prices.) The Turnpike Commission had hoped that the change to 70 mph would lure more trucks onto the toll road, pulling them off of smaller parallel routes.

Click on the link for the full article

Autobahnen has no regulated speed limit and cars travel an average of 81 mph on it. It has statically had less auto accidents than many other European highways and US systems. I think there is something to this idea.

Overall on the turnpike, the average speedometer reading for passenger cars ticked up to 76 mph with the higher limit, according to the recent survey. (Cars clocked in at 74 mph during a November survey before the speed limit change.)

Yet, predictably, there are those who think that the raised speed limit is somehow catastrophic.

So what this says is that most people don't care that they will spend more money on gas.

MPG results at speed vary by vehicle,some are more efficient at 80

my Hyundai had a best mpg cruising speed of 84,ain't found it yet on the camaro

I find more of the problems occur when people are driving slower than normal flow of traffic vs people driving faster

That, people switching lanes like maniacal idiots (something I never do), and even dumber idiots who don't focus on the road; i.e. texting, putting on make up, eating, etc.

A speed survey earlier this month showed a spike in traffic zoom-zoom-zooming at 80 mph or more, reports Capt. Chris Zurcher, commander of the patrol's turnpike operation.

The trend alarms Zurcher: "Eighty miles per hour is too fast, period," he said.

• The extra dash of speed hasn't led to more crashes. In fact, numbers decreased slightly in April from the previous year. Troopers investigated 141 crashes compared to 145 in April 2010.

Empirical evidence says Capt Chris Zucher is wrong and overly sensitive.

So the state of Ohio raises the speed limit, and people drive faster? Alert the ****ing media indeed. Maybe Ohio State can spend several million in a study to see if there is a correlation.

Actually the opposite is true, kinda... While the overall speed rose by 2 mph, the overall speed minus the speed limit decreased from +9 to +6, therefore making speeding on the road LESS of a problem on average...

Actually the opposite is true, kinda... While the overall speed rose by 2 mph

That's really all I was getting at. The state cops act like it's a big shock that people are going faster (even if it's only by 2 mph on average) after a 10 mph limit than they were before. And has been pointed out already, somehow traffic is safer despite the 2 mph increase.

MPG results at speed vary by vehicle,some are more efficient at 80

my Hyundai had a best mpg cruising speed of 84,ain't found it yet on the camaro

I've heard others say that, but have never seen proof (not calling you a liar, just that it goes against everything I've read). From consumer reports on their test using, I believe, a Toyota Camry, their #1 way to save money on gas is slowing down.

"Drive at a moderate speed

This is the biggest factor. You may have to be a little patient, but driving at 55 mph instead of 65 or 75 will save you money. When we increased the Camry's highway cruising speed from 55 mph to 65, the car's fuel economy dropped from 40 mpg to 35. Speeding up to 75 mph cost the car another 5 mpg. One reason is that aerodynamic drag increases exponentially the faster you drive; it simply takes more fuel to power the car through the air."

More at: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/car-maintenance/fuel-economy-save-money-on-gas/overview/index.htm

PF

I've heard others say that, but have never seen proof (not calling you a liar, just that it goes against everything I've read). From consumer reports on their test using, I believe, a Toyota Camry, their #1 way to save money on gas is slowing down.

Drag certainly increases with speed, but the engines optimal torque range and the gearing has to be factored in and they all have a sweet spot(my truck for example is 62 mph,the aerodynamics are terrible)

If you have a underpowered 4 cylinder it increases the energy needed

Got my results from live scanning engine and fuel while driving which eliminates guesswork(and of course flat terrain)

the number one thing to increase most mileage is air pressure in the tires and good maintenance and eliminating drag

Archived