Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WAPO: Number of long-lasting marriages in U.S. has risen, Census Bureau reports

SnyderShrugged

An economist once told me that divorce rates always drop during hard economic times which at first blush doesn't make sense since money is such a big stresser, but he explained that divorse is pretty damn expensive as is setting up a new life. So, a lot of people who contemplate divorse fight a little harder for their marriage than they might in prosperous economic times.

Hey, I wrote as economic thesis on the effect of the current economy on the divorce rates. Came pretty much to the similar conclusion that the greater the difference between expected benefits and costs, the more likely you are to consider the option

from someone in the (now apparently) Minority - I wonder a lot of things.

I got married in 1998 - Divorced in 2008 (We were separated but not legal divorced yet at the 10 year mark. Sooooo does that count?)

Does the recession have anything to do with it? divorce IS expensive!

Does the fact that people are married older = less divorce because people are making wiser choices? Or because at age 40, you figure you are too old to have to start over?

Are divorce rates higher or lower for two income families? (My ex was a stay at home mom and I was NEVER happy about it. It created a lot of issues in our marriage- both financially and non financially)

Does living together first help? (I have no stats on this, but I would bet a paycheck that the % of people who lived together for over a year before getting married is GREATER from 1990 to today then it was from 1969 - 1989.....).

Just curious on a lot of things.

Archived