Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WAPO: Number of long-lasting marriages in U.S. has risen, Census Bureau reports

SnyderShrugged

This kind of news warms the heart and makes me feel a tiny bit more positive of the direction of our country

By Carol Morello, Published: May 18

Americans may be postponing marriage, and fewer are wedding at all. But what about the people who do get married? They’re staying together longer than they have in years.

Three in four couples who married after 1990 celebrated a

10-year anniversary, according

to census statistics reported Wednesday. That was a rise of three percentage points compared with couples who married in the early 1980s, when the nation’s divorce rate was at its highest.

more at link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/number-of-long-lasting-marriages-in-us-has-risen-census-bureau-reports/2011/05/18/AFO8dW6G_story.html?hpid=z4

An economist once told me that divorce rates always drop during hard economic times which at first blush doesn't make sense since money is such a big stresser, but he explained that divorse is pretty damn expensive as is setting up a new life. So, a lot of people who contemplate divorse fight a little harder for their marriage than they might in prosperous economic times.

I wonder how much the recession has impacted divorce rates.

I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that this in fact has something to do with it. People can't get divorced right now just because they don't have the money. The should really do a poll on who is in a happy marriage. The numbers might be a little different.

I wonder how much the recession has impacted divorce rates.

I imagine it has a huge impact... I have to agree with SynderShrugged, though...

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 12:40 PM ----------

or men who can't afford a mistress...

...or men are evolving... and are not getting caught as often. :halo:

LKB, why take this political? How about sticking with the spirit of the thread instead of partisan hackery?

Because it's fun.

Marriages last when both couples are educated and older when they get married, because that guarantees a higher income level. This occurs in "traditional" blue states. Not so much in the South - with the weird outlier of South Carolina as an exception.

If you want to stay married. Have a degree, a career, and a savings account when you do.

Well, I would say the state of the economy does have something to do with it. But not all of it.

In the case of my wife and I, we will celebrate sixteen years in July and have been together nearly twenty. Both of us come from divorced families, and have seen what divorce did to the family.

In our case, our resolve to commit fully to our marriage was through watching our parents dissolve theirs. I am not sure how relevant this is, but experiencing divorce as a child certainly was in my decision concerning marriage.

Because it's fun.

Marriages last when both couples are educated and older when they get married' date=' because that guarantees a higher income level. This occurs in "traditional" blue states. Not so much in the South - with the weird outlier of South Carolina as an exception.

If you want to stay married. Have a degree, a career, and a savings account when you do.[/quote']

while those probably are factors that help lead to a successful marriage, I totally disagree that they must be in place for that to happen.

If you want to stay married, be true to your spouse, show love constantly, respect each other and talk openly about your life's circumstances.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 12:44 PM ----------

There must be alot more women cooking, cleaning, and keeping their mouths shut...:evil:

OH man! You almost got me busted laughing!

Well, I would say the state of the economy does have something to do with it. But not all of it.

In the case of my wife and I, we will celebrate sixteen years in July and have been together nearly twenty. Both of us come from divorced families, and have seen what divorce did to the family.

In our case, our resolve to commit fully to our marriage was through watching our parents dissolve theirs. I am not sure how relevant this is, but experiencing divorce as a child certainly was in my decision concerning marriage.

This is the case for me and my wife, as well. Both of our parents are divorced... which makes planning for the holidays hell. We vowed to never make our kids go through the same problems we did.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 12:53 PM ----------

Marriages last when both couples are educated and older when they get married...

I agree... but' date=' IMO, I think it is because they are more mature and make better, more rationale life choices.

If you want to stay married. Have a degree, a career, and a savings account when you do.

While I don't think this necessarily has to be the rule... it couldn't hurt. A degree (leads to a better chance at employment), a career (eliminates the worry about not having an income while provides a sense of security for the future), and a savings account (**depends on whether something is in it) will help eliminate unnecessary arguments and problems, but if two people don't get along... they aren't going to last long in marriage anyway.

**I had a savings account when I married my wife but there was only $5 in it... I'm thankful that didn't deter her from marrying me.

Very good point and it was one of my deciding factors.

My parents divorced when my 2 sisters and I were in our early twenties. It was still a shock. Suddenly, that 2 parent support structure was not there and even though I was living independently away from my parents, it gave me this weird feeling of insecurity. That IF something were to go wrong in my personal life, the safety net might not be there now.

It has made me think a lot about who I should choose to marry. I feel really fortunate to have found someone with strong family values, a good education and good independence.

There must be alot more women cooking, cleaning, and keeping their mouths shut...:evil:

lol QFT!

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

While I don't think this necessarily has to be the rule... it couldn't hurt. A degree (leads to a better chance at employment), a career (eliminates the worry about not having an income while provides a sense of security for the future), and a savings account (**depends on whether something is in it) will help eliminate unnecessary arguments and problems, but if two people don't get along... they aren't going to last long in marriage anyway.

**I had a savings account when I married my wife but there was only $5 in it... I'm thankful that didn't deter her from marrying me.

lol my wife MADE me save. she's a financial manager and gives me lectures about 401k, savings accounts, CDs....she might as well be speaking german because my response is:

wa-huh much like this guy

1184206946_3.jpg

I think that had a major effect on mine as well.

coming up on 27 yrs

the facts are true... but what is driving it is a little more ambiguously heartwarming: poor people get divorced more often... but recently, they just haven't been bothering to get married as much in the first place.

so back to LBK's drive-by.... rich, well-educated people (which generally (oversimplistically) translates to blue -coast- states) have more stable marriages than poor, less-educated people (generally oversimplistically tied to red, rural or southern states).

but poor people seem to be giving up on the idea of marriage overall, to some extent--- for better (low divorce rates) or worse (most contexts)

edit::: (wow.. there were ALOT of posts that appeared from when i first opened this thread and read it (apparently 45 minutes ago) and actually hit "send"!!! )

while those probably are factors that help lead to a successful marriage, I totally disagree that they must be in place for that to happen.

If you want to stay married, be true to your spouse, show love constantly, respect each other and talk openly about your life's circumstances.

That's all well and good. But I think every married couple goes into the marriage with those ideas. The major time that is tested is when money problems hit.

Three in four couples who married after 1990 celebrated a 10-year anniversary, according to census statistics reported Wednesday. That was a rise of three percentage points compared with couples who married in the early 1980s, when the nation’s divorce rate was at its highest.

I resemble that remark. 16 years and counting.

We were in a pretty big boom period up until late 2007 and since the statistic is looking at married couples after 1990 people would be reaching the 10 year mark between 2000-2010. Unless the period from 2007-2010 saw a complete drop off in divorce rates it probably wasn't an economic factor that caused the drop in divorce rates. It could be anything from people just not wanting to get married to couples generally getting along better.

Archived