Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movie: Bridesmaids...

TMK9973

Ok guys.....Chick flick or not?

I hate chick flicks....but I've also been hearing this is funny as hell (second hand). Suppose to see a movie this friday and debating if this is as funny as all the reviews...or this is just ANOTHER one of those chick flicks that tries to advertise it's not a chick flick....

anyone see it?

Female version of the hangover, which wasn't that funny to begin with, that the media is raving about so everyone raves about it.

It looks mediocre.

You may be in the minority on those that didnt like the Hangover....

Witnessing the craziness that my fiance has gone through with her bridesmaids has me interested in the movvie. The few scenes we've seen so far have mirrored what we've gone through. Especially the shrimp fork scene at the store.

Well to be honest, didn't RottenTomatoes give it like a 90% or something? they don't care about appeasing anyone, they rate movies pretty accurately.

Isn't RT a review aggregator, and they compile their rating based on what all critics, mass media and not, give it?

Isn't RT a review aggregator, and they compile their rating based on what all critics, mass media and not, give it?

i have no idea, i've just noticed that on the radio talk shows in the morning when they talk about the new movies coming out and give rt's rating on it, it's usually pretty accurate. bad movies are rated low, good movies are rated high.

That's not entirely correct, but the qualifications for being a "critic" aren't too high. Pretty much anybody with a mediocre blog can become a critic. RottenTomatoes is probably the most reliable review site, but it still has flaws when it comes to childrens/family films and movies that receive tons of hype from the college-aged demographic. Most of the non-critic ratings are likely coming from the target audience (females). I'm sure the rating for Bridesmaids will go down quite a bit once it's released on DVD and is exposed to a wider audience (men).

who cares if it is a "chick flick".

the question is whether it is well done, and whether it is interesting/good.

a good ____________ movie is a delight watch. a bad ________ movie gives you colon hickups.

(insert any adjective into the blanks: horror, documentary, indie, chick, comedy, romantic comedy, action, ..... whatever.....)

I saw it last weekend. It was decent.

If you like Kristen Wiig then you're like it.If you find her somewhat funny and sometimes annoying, then you'll find it somewhat funny and be annoyed at times.

It's an Apatow movie, so it's 15-20 minutes too long and slows way down closer to the end.

My bottom line: it's a chick flick with some raunchy dialogue and a couple gross out/outrageous set pieces thrown in to attract a wider audience. C+/B-

Looks pretty funny to me.

I agree the Hangover was a bit overrated, but i think that was because everyone told me how great it was, and it didn't live up to it.

I liked the naked guy in the trunk, that had me laughing pretty much harder than anything else in the movie.

~Bang

The smart minority. ;)

Galifinakis' character was funny and Mike Tyson cracked me up, but overall it wasn't that great. I never said I didn't like it, it just was OK.

Agreed, and it's nice to hear someone else not praise the movie like it was Die Hard or Caddyshack. Granted, I saw the Hangover after a month of nonstop hype, so I was set up to be at least a little disappointed.

I saw it. It was a well-done hit-the-mark comedy. Not truly great, but much better than just "ok." Every guy I know who has seen it has really liked it. There was more out-loud laughing during the movie than any I have seen in awhile. I agree with earlier comments that the Hangover was funny, but is over-rated by many. There's too much "dumb, juvenile, and just stupid" material that lessens the "clever-witty-solid funny" success. I think Bridesmaids is a better comedy than Hangover (which I still liked).

The smart minority. ;)

Galifinakis' character was funny and Mike Tyson cracked me up, but overall it wasn't that great. I never said I didn't like it, it just was OK.

Agreed. All of the hype caused it to be overrated IMO.

And OP, if you go see Bridesmaids, be sure to at least have a chick with you.

I would rather kill myself than watch this piece of unoriginal garbage.

I don't think your taking the idea of giving an opinion on this movie seriously enough. :mad:

Freakshow. :pfft:

:ols:

This reminds of something though---I made a comment to a couple friends that Kristin Whig obviously negotiated some screen shots where she could display the results of her gym and diet routine and shed some of that "awkward, odd-looking-at-times" persona that many of her SNL characters employ. She spends some time running around in sexy undies and looked pretty damn good. :D

All I have to say is this: When the trailer for this came on before another rental my wife and I were watching, she got really excited and said "ew, it looks just like the Hangover, but for us," us being women, which caused me to think how much it will suck. I will not watch it.

I would rather kill myself than watch this piece of unoriginal garbage. And that one chick looks like a damn turkey vulcher.

one? both of the women in the trailer look like turkey vultures

btw vultures with an -ulture

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 01:16 PM ----------

All I have to say is this: When the trailer for this came on before another rental my wife and I were watching, she got really excited and said "ew, it looks just like the Hangover, but for us," us being women, which caused me to think how much it will suck. I will not watch it.

hahahaha

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

I'm going to LIVE this damn movie in two weeks during the Vegas Bridesmaid Bachelorette Bash I'm throwing one of my best girlfriends! Can you tell I'm stoked to go absolutely frickin crazy in Vegas?!?!

But for real, I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie...and I'm definitely dragging my husband along with me :D

Archived