Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Barkley: In sports, ability to play should outweigh sexual orientation

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It's funny how some people still think of gay people. It's almost like they have no control over themselves and will just attack you and get you all covered in gay and you won't be able to resist it.

Watch out NavyDave! If you ever meet Barkley he might get the residual-gay all over you!

Interesting theory Chuck but your opinion does not matter to the kids in the locker room or the fans paying the big bucks.

Though it is funny when you think about it. As long as a Gay player does not suck* he is ok but if the gay guy does suck* its ok to kick him to the curb.

*suck as in his performance, err on the basketball court :rolleyes:

Though it is funny when you think about it. As long as a Gay player does not suck* he is ok but if the gay guy does suck* its ok to kick him to the curb.

Not sure why that is funny. If an athlete preforms he is a better player to have on your team and in your locker room, if not he isn't. Pretty black and white and what most reasonable adults would think in any profession, regardless of a personal life that harms no one.

Not sure why that is funny. If an athlete preforms he is a better player to have on your team and in your locker room, if not he isn't.

look at the OP title, son and its a play on words.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 06:12 PM ----------

Especially in the black community where you would lose all street cred if you came out.

So true because most black parents of a straight son would not want him to look up to a gay ball player or rapper as a positive influence since they do have a religious and moral foundation as well as the desire for the child to further extend the family line.

look at the OP title, son and its a play on words.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 06:12 PM ----------

So true because most black parents of a straight son would not want him to look up to a gay ball player or rapper as a positive influence since they do have a religious and moral foundation as well as the desire for the child to further extend the family line.

I hear what Barkley's saying, but I just don't see anyone, especially a prominant, athlete coming out while he's still playing. But I do have a jab at Barkley. Why didn't he say this when he was playing?

I hear what Barkley's saying, but I just don't see anyone, especially a prominant, athlete coming out while he's still playing. But I do have a jab at Barkley. Why didn't he say this when he was playing?

Maybe he's grown a little since then. A lot more gays in tv, than pro sports I would guess.

Knowing that your opponent is gay would make trash talking a whole lot more of an issue though.

Depends on the person. Some people let trash talking get to them, some use it to their advantage. These guys have all been playing against each other since college and something tells me they all know how to get in their heads a little.

Who cares and why should anyone care? We gays/lesbians have to listen all day long to others' talk of their spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends. I'm out to everyone except in work situations because I work with many ex-military/very conservative and I don't want to jepardize my income. And besides, I'm there to do a job and not socialize and if I do, I talk about what I do, I don't mention dates etc.

The locker room is always brought up whether it's sports or military. If people act like adults and have respect for others personal boundaries, then there is no problem, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

The locker room is always brought up whether it's sports or military. If people act like adults and have respect for others personal boundaries, then there is no problem, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

That's true.

And frankly, I'm just mad that, in the Army, I couldn't shower with people I'd potentially be attracted to. :)

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 09:06 PM ----------

Barkley's absolutely right here though. No doubt about it.

I have said it before and I will say it again: the media is the one driving the homophobic lockerroom. Once an openly gay man plays a professional sport well, everything will be normal. As long as the media keeps writing stories quoting fringe athletes and fans, this will continue to be an issue. Once a gay man dunks on you/hits a HR off you/strikes you out/throws a TD/catches a TD/sacks a QB, all he becomes is the guy you are trying to beat.

exactly, i don't think i've heard anyone who really cares about this. well not until the media tells people they should, or will.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 01:50 PM ----------

Who cares and why should anyone care? We gays/lesbians have to listen all day long to others' talk of their spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends. I'm out to everyone except in work situations because I work with many ex-military/very conservative and I don't want to jepardize my income. And besides, I'm there to do a job and not socialize and if I do, I talk about what I do, I don't mention dates etc.

lol, we don't agree on much, but gotta make sure you know when we do. sexual orientation should not be a reason to look down on anyone, period, as long as people respect each other there won't be any problems.

We have a 20 year old mini-parrot, about the size of a robin. The thing is tough and mean as heck. It does not care how big you are, it simply will not be intimidated by anyone or anything.

My wife and I named the bird Barkley, because Sir Charles was barely six foot four, yet regularly ripped rebounds away from 7 footers on sheer force of will. I loved him as a player and I like him even more now.

---------- Post added May-19th-2011 at 10:58 AM ----------

I think he has been saying stuff like this for a long time, at least ten years.

I also remember when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV-positive, Barkely was the one who said: "I'm disappointed in myself that I haven't felt the same compassion for other people stricken with AIDS that I now feel for Magic." That was back in 1993 or so.

Barkely's argument is well-formed and it reminds me of the pro- gays in the military argument, which is that when you don't care about sexual preferences when you're in a foxhole, all you care about is that your fellow soldier has your back.

I also remember when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV-positive, Barkely was the one who said: "I'm disappointed in myself that I haven't felt the same compassion for other people stricken with AIDS that I now feel for Magic." That was back in 1993 or so.

I'll also have to look it up, but when Magic wanted to come back, there was a big fuss about players not wanting to compete against him. I'm fairly certain Barkley was loudly in favor of letting him play.

Again, I keep feel like an old fogey here (and I'm in my prime compared to you), but I think a lot of posters are too young to remember the real feelings around the Magic story. At my high school, the discussion was not about Magic being HIV. The discussion was whether Magic was gay or not. And his fans were unbelievably defensive that there was no way he was gay. Simply being accused of being gay was a devastating accusation less than 20 years ago. When Magic discussed his HIV status on the Arsenio Hall Show, the biggest applause he received was when he announced he was not gay. Both Magic and Arsenio went way out of their way to hit that point over and over.

I do think Barkley may be a little bit ahead of the pack on his acceptance of a gay teammate, but I like to believe it will come sooner rather than later.

I'll also have to look it up' date=' but when Magic wanted to come back, there was a big fuss about players not wanting to compete against him. I'm fairly certain Barkley was loudly in favor of letting him play.

Again, I keep feel like an old fogey here (and I'm in my prime compared to you), but I think a lot of posters are too young to remember the real feelings around the Magic story. At my high school, the discussion was not about Magic being HIV. The discussion was whether Magic was gay or not. And his fans were unbelievably defensive that there was no way he was gay. Simply being accused of being gay was a devastating accusation less than 20 years ago. When Magic discussed his HIV status on the Arsenio Hall Show, the biggest applause he received was when he announced he was not gay. Both Magic and Arsenio went way out of their way to hit that point over and over.

I do think Barkley may be a little bit ahead of the pack on his acceptance of a gay teammate, but I like to believe it will come sooner rather than later.[/quote']

you're an old fogey compared to me, but i still remember this as well. even after he and arsenio said this it was still one of those myths people talked about for a few years afterwards

Archived