Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RT: U.S. claims "definitive victory" in Airbus subsidy case

JMS

It's amaizing boeing is still in business.

U.S. claims "definitive victory" in Airbus subsidy case

(Reuters) - The World Trade Organization appellate body has handed the United States a "definitive victory" in its long-running case against European subsidies for Airbus, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

The panel found that Airbus had received $18 billion in WTO-inconsistent subsidies that "have caused harm to our industry over the last 20 years," Tim Reif, general counsel for the U.S. Trade Representative's office told reporters in teleconference in Washington.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/18/us-eu-usa-aircraft-ustr-idUSTRE74H4LH20110518?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Well it helps that Airbus corporate management is a cluster**** of petty rivalries and internal sabotage. Just look at the A380 development cycle, quite a few heads rolled.

Plus America is still unmatched in designing functional airframes.

It's amaizing boeing is still in business.

Another one of those comments in which, to paraphrase you, you show you have little idea of what you're talking about but will nonetheless have a firm opinion on it. Boeing, as is the case with many large and important companies (especially these days), has plenty of challenges, issues and has made plenty of mis-steps, yet remains a vital, still highly competent overall, and very successful corporation. It will be around for a long time for a variety of reasons and it's continued existence is merited on several levels. :)

Another one of those comments in which, to paraphrase you, you show you have little idea of what you're talking about but will nonetheless have a firm opinion on it. Boeing, as is the case with many large and important companies (especially these days), has plenty of challenges, issues and has made plenty of mis-steps, yet remains a vital, still highly competent overall, and very successful corporation. It will be around for a long time for a variety of reasons and it's continued existence is merited on several levels. :)

Huh, I thought he was complementing Boeing for being able to compete with the subsidies Airbus was getting. Not taking a shot at them.

Huh, I thought he was complementing Boeing for being able to compete with the subsidies Airbus was getting. Not taking a shot at them.

Amigo, I quoted (and was spanking) JMS for the opinionated, simplistically dismissive Boeing one-liner, while not pretending they haven't done any nubmer of things worth criticizing. I wasn't;t quoting or addressing anything you said. :)

Amigo, I quoted (and was spanking) JMS for the opinionated, simplistically dismissive Boeing one-liner, while not pretending they haven't done any nubmer of things worth criticizing. I wasn't;t quoting or addressing anything you said. :)

I took JMS's comment to clearly mean that Boeing has been fighting a guy with three or four arms. He wasn't saying there's anything at all wrong with Boeing -- rather, Airbus has been getting propped up from behind in a rigged fight. If anything, he was complimenting Boeing for managing to compete successfully in that situation.

I took JMS's comment to clearly mean that Boeing has been fighting a guy with three or four arms. He wasn't saying there's anything at all wrong with Boeing -- rather, Airbus has been getting propped up from behind in a rigged fight. If anything, he was complimenting Boeing for managing to compete successfully in that situation.

This is becoming more work than I anticipated, but I get your take-- I was responding to his senrtnce as worded:

It's amaizing boeing is still in business

It is a broad, sweeping, hghly opionated remark quite worthy of challenge and not atypical to the poster's style. And JMS is a poster I am happy to have around the forum and contributes a lot of worhty discussion.

It's amazing this thread is still going.

(Too soon?)

If you're insinuating there's a conspiracy to keep the thread going, and that some of the posts are simply part of that orchestration, then I'd suggest you just keep your mouth shut. Capiche? :)

I would never give voice to such a thought. In fact, I -- what the..?!? Hey pal, what are you doing in my house with that burlap sa-- mmph mmmmmmph mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph! Mmmmmmmmmmph! MMMMMMMPH!

That's how I read it too.

But I am smart enough not to argue with a mod. :D

It is a broad, sweeping, hghly opionated remark quite worthy of challenge and not atypical to the poster's style. And JMS is a poster I am happy to have around the forum and contributes a lot of worhty discussion.

Guilty... what can I say, I'm not permitted opinions at home. So I come here to get it out of my system :)

Seriously though I was shocked so many folks spoke up for me.

Jumbo I was in fact registering amazement at Boeing. Far from being deficient I was expressing dismay they've been able to weather a withering attack from a consortium of government with nearly limitless resources...

Not to diminish this accomplishment but to explain how Boeing achieved this herculean feet..

I consider Boeing one of the best American companies. One of our most important economically strategic companies. At one time they alone accounted for 20% of America's gross exports (early 1990's) before Airbus cut into their market. Which is exactly why Boeing was targeted by a consortium of European governments for destruction/replacement.. The fact that I first read about this plot about 20 years ago, and that we only got a WTO decision today is very troubling. The fact that the toothless WTO called offsetting penalties is also troubling.

Boeing's continued existence is the seamy underside of international "trade". It represents a rare case where our government did get involved and the company was able to remain viable in the teeth of what has become a very common scenario. Foreign governments looking over our economy and cherry picking important industries for takeovers. Then using public money crush our private companies...

Japan, Korea, Taiwan all did this for decades without being checked.

China is using the same playbook today.

This was the EU's big move, which we pied back in their face, by our own conspiring to prop them up...... good for us for defending our selves.. good for Boeing for being sucessful. ( US spent about 1$ for every 4$ the EU spent.)..

I guess my overall opinionated opinion is free trade is neither, I see nothing in this business case to protect the next American company from it's tender embrace, much less Boeing in the coming years if public funds are with held.

Archived