Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking Back at RFK

B55Green

With D.C United looking for a new home, it looks like RFK's days could be numbered. The Washington Post did a "look back" slideshow on their site and thought I'd post it here for those who didn't see.

Not a whole lot on the Redskins, but there are a couple pictures, including days of the Senators, the brief time the Nationals played there as well as the current state of the stadium.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a-look-back-at-rfk-stadium/2011/05/12/AFDMFb1G_gallery.html?wprss=rss_homepage

I know one thing, I will try to buy my 3 seats I sat in all those years watching the Redskins. It was a dump, but it was OUR dump! LOL

P.S. People say FedEx is a dump, but most of them had never been to RFK...if those people went to RFK now, they would change their tune about FedEx heh

If there is no football season this year (God forbid) ES should hold a tailgate at RFK to honor her 50th anni. We could do it draft day style. I'll bring my RFK stadium seats.

DC United die hards will be sorry when or if the team leaves that place. The ample room tailgating, seating, and liberal security are what make their scene among the best in MLS. Winning has also helped.

This October will be RFK's (the stadium) 50th birthday and I think it would be cool to have some sort of event to commemorate that. If the NFL schedule somehow goes as planned, the Skins will have a bye week in early-to-mid October, so that might be a good weekend to have it.

Yeah, it looks like RFK is in its last days. Never did get to go there, and it looks like I never will. That's a shame. That was a pretty incredible slide show, though.

I also fear the Redskins will never play within D.C.'s city limits again.

I go to a fair amount of D.C United games, so it's nice. I never was able to see the Redskins play they, but I still got chills walking there. I make sure to tailgate and even if it sounds strange, try to think of what it would have looked like for Redskins games. Good ol' Lot 8.

The Redskins got theirs, the Nationals got theirs, the Capitals and Wizards got theirs, yet D.C United, who has won five championships (more than anyone here in D.C since they've become a team) have not. They definitely deserve it.

I loved RFK. As a kid I remember my dad taking me to opening day baseball games and then later as a Skins fan playing for the Redskins Band and entering the stadium via the tunnel and once inside running in to all sorts of people. Never forget running into Jurgy and Johhny U walking towards me...I think I stood still, in shock, probably mouth wide open, and said hello, they stopped for a second and shook hands. I was about 16 at the time and thought I was in heaven!

The best thing about RFK was the Fans ability and pride in making SO MUCH SOUND. Rocking on the temp stands, and the shape of the "bowl" I think made it especially loud. Man that was great to be a part of that. It was so loud. I have yet to see anything like that at Fedex or any other stadium for that matter.

Long live RFK!

I gotta get some seats if they demolish... saw many a game there... and never saw the Skins lose.

Went to a Nationals game in 2006 and man, did that place fall apart. There was soot on everything. It was disgusting. Fed Ex is a cathedral compared to that dump. Yet, I would sit there with a smile on my face if a Skins game was going on.

For most of the Nats game I spent trying to figuring out where Mosley made the kick, where Manley batted the ball, where Monk caught the ball and where Riggo took the bow... among others.

What history it has.

I remember going there as a kid with my father and watching Sonny. I have so many great memories from RFK. Beating Dallas in the Championship game, Riggins coming out of the hospital to put up a great game against the ViQueens and taking a bow when they pulled him out. The seat cushion game. The we want Dallas chants that made the stadium rock on it's foundation.

While some of you talk about how it was a dump, I always saw it as a stadium that had an atmosphere that will probably never be matched again by the Skins.

I worked the the Maryland bowl game this year is RFKs wonderful open air pressbox (in the freezing cold). Worst site lines you could imagine for a pressbox. But man was that place loud.

I was fortunate to be able to see my first Redskins game at RFK, and besides the entire stadium shaking, I'll always remember how loud that place got. Glad I got to experience it, even if it was only once.

I really should visit the old girl before they put a wrecking ball to her; if for no other reason than to pay my respects.

Judging by the stories I've heard, I guess it would feel like visiting an old relative who isn't feeling very well and whose best days are behind her. The stories, though, that place could tell if it could talk. Beating Dallas twice in the NFC Championship game...the Senator's last game when fans mobbed the field before the game even ended...a plethora of rock concerts.

Went to the MD-ECU Military Bowl to watch football one last time at RFK last year. It was nostalgic, but it also made me appreciate FedEx even more.

- FedEx has the most tailgating space of any stadium in the NFL

- Lines for the bathroom at RFK for a half empty UL were 15 minute minimum

- Food service was slower than molasses in January

- Wait for Metro after game was a short lifetime (imagine if the place was sold out, or if the Skins built a 90k+ stadium on site!)

I had season tix for the Nats the year they returned. It was awesome getting to watch a sporting event at RFK. It got LOUD when the place was sold out. But it was a dump. Concourses were TINY, when it was full you couldn't move. Bathrooms were far and few between, leading to ridiculous waits when it was even half full. Sold Out? Forget about it.

RFK had her days. She was a beaut, but her days have past. It is time to move on. Danny is FINALLY putting some capital into FedEx: scoreboards, HD video boards, LED out of town scores, party bars in club and now UL endzones. Maybe next year he installs an over hang for the UL to reflect some noise back down and provide some cover???

The Redskins got theirs, the Nationals got theirs, the Capitals and Wizards got theirs, yet D.C United, who has won five championships (more than anyone here in D.C since they've become a team) have not. They definitely deserve it.

The Redskins, Caps and Wizards all paid for their own stadiums. The Nats got theirs paid for but it was the only way we were going to get baseball. The United are welcome to build their own.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

Went to the MD-ECU Military Bowl to watch football one last time at RFK last year. It was nostalgic, but it also made me appreciate FedEx even more.

- FedEx has the most tailgating space of any stadium in the NFL

- Lines for the bathroom at RFK for a half empty UL were 15 minute minimum

- Food service was slower than molasses in January

- Wait for Metro after game was a short lifetime (imagine if the place was sold out, or if the Skins built a 90k+ stadium on site!)

I had season tix for the Nats the year they returned. It was awesome getting to watch a sporting event at RFK. It got LOUD when the place was sold out. But it was a dump. Concourses were TINY, when it was full you couldn't move. Bathrooms were far and few between, leading to ridiculous waits when it was even half full. Sold Out? Forget about it.

RFK had her days. She was a beaut, but her days have past. It is time to move on. Danny is FINALLY putting some capital into FedEx: scoreboards, HD video boards, LED out of town scores, party bars in club and now UL endzones. Maybe next year he installs an over hang for the UL to reflect some noise back down and provide some cover???

People love RFK because that's where we were when we were winning. It also held in noise so it was a great home field advantage. It's also a heck of a lot easier getting in and out of (40,000 fewer people will do that). But even in it's heyday it was a dump. Most of the love for it is just nostalgia.

I was lucky enough to go to 4 Redskins games at RFK. Sure the place is dumpy, but I'll take it (and the location) over FedEx Field any day. Call me crazy, but I liked going to Nationals games there better as well. Too bad both teams don't still play there...I'd love for RFK to get a face lift, and the Redskins to return there.

The Redskins, Caps and Wizards all paid for their own stadiums. The Nats got theirs paid for but it was the only way we were going to get baseball. The United are welcome to build their own.

Redskins paid well over the majority, but they were still given help from the state of MD.

While the Capitals / Bullets did pretty much pay just about all of theirs, the city still provided about 60 million.

United is willing to pay $150 million for their stadium. I understand the $200 million they need isn't cheap, but the Nationals were given over $600 million for their park. D.C United averages more than the Nationals do when they have good seasons. Even with the past two years being down, they averaged about 5,000 less than the Nationals

On top of it all, D.C United isn't asking for a huge stadium, what they wanted to do at Poplar Point would have been perfect for not only the team, but also the city in the longrun.

I think it's just pathetic and a shame that the most successful teams since 95 is being treated this way.

If they do decide to demo it, will they be selling parts of the stadium to fans? I was never lucky (or old enough) to buy seats to a regular season game, but my dad took me to plenty of preseason games there. All I remember is that EVERYONE was standing, and I was too short to see over them so I stood in the aisle. Man I'd like to get some piece of that place if they do take it down.

Archived