Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beck on NFL Sirius radio

bowhunter

Shanny isn't and hasn't been enamored with Beck.Mike shanahan made a comment that he had faith ect in Beck and people have taken and ran with it. Mike should have confidence in any player currently on the roster and Beck is the only qb on the roster at them moment.Beck will have a shot to compete like every other player in camp.

Whilst he might not be enamored with Beck, it is easy to see why this story has ran.

To be fair, ``everything you look for in a quarterback'' is quite a statement.

Maybe Mike was just stiring the pot :whoknows:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2011/04/shanahan-beck-i-think-world-him

Shanahan said... “He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I’m looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You’ve got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do.”

“I have a lot of confidence in John Beck,” Shanahan said. “I think the world of him.”

The more i think about it, the more i think Beck might be the smartest QB choice to make this season. Why?

1) We're not close, so there is little downside in starting him in a transitional year.

2) He sounds like an overachiever. I think the fan base can get behind that. It's better than a talented underachiever, which we have seen far too much of the past 10 years.

3) If he does okay or better, great. Maybe it gives us some options next offseason to trade him, start him until a young QB is really ready, etc. If he stinks, so what? We draft a blue chip QB next season like everyone expects anyway.

4) Given the labor situation, he may be our best option. A new guy will need to learn the system. Hasselbeck, Young, Kolb, all of these guys will come in handicapped and will be set up to disappoint. It's a bad time to be signing a vet QB and expect him to step right in.

In short, I have no reason to believe Beck will set the world on fire. I have no expectations other than he sounds like a maximum effort guy who will try hard. He may surprise, or he may be exactly what we think he is — a nobody, a career backup. But the point is I don't think he can disappoint — which is exactly what we need for right now. Sets the right expectations for everyone this season at the most important position.

Beck can say all the right things and act like a starter but it is coincidence that he has been with two other clubs before coming to DC. .

Why don't you ask Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Kurt Warner, or Len Dawson? Not saying that Beck will be as good as any of these guys but there are plenty of examples of guys not getting their chance until a little later but succeeding.

The more i think about it, the more i think Beck might be the smartest QB choice to make this season. Why?

1) We're not close, so there is little downside in starting him in a transitional year.

2) He sounds like an overachiever. I think the fan base can get behind that. It's better than a talented underachiever, which we have seen far too much of the past 10 years.

3) If he does okay or better, great. Maybe it gives us some options next offseason to trade him, start him until a young QB is really ready, etc. If he stinks, so what? We draft a blue chip QB next season like everyone expects anyway.

4) Given the labor situation, he may be our best option. A new guy will need to learn the system. Hasselbeck, Young, Kolb, all of these guys will come in handicapped and will be set up to disappoint. It's a bad time to be signing a vet QB and expect him to step right in.

In short, I have no reason to believe Beck will set the world on fire. I have no expectations other than he sounds like a maximum effort guy who will try hard. He may surprise, or he may be exactly what we think he is — a nobody, a career backup. But the point is I don't think he can disappoint — which is exactly what we need for right now. Sets the right expectations for everyone this season at the most important position.

I like this. We win with him, its a great thing. We lose with him, we "hate" him and the coaches the entire season and then rejoice when we draft a top-5 or top-10 QB next offseason.

Why don't you ask Rich Gannon, Trent Green, Kurt Warner, or Len Dawson? Not saying that Beck will be as good as any of these guys but there are plenty of examples of guys not getting their chance until a little later but succeeding.

OR Doug Williams, USFL and the Bucs.

Whilst he might not be enamored with Beck' date=' it is easy to see why this story has ran.

To be fair, ``everything you look for in a quarterback'' is quite a statement.

Maybe Mike was just stiring the pot :whoknows:

[url']http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2011/04/shanahan-beck-i-think-world-him[/url]

I agree with all of that pretty much. Mike shanahan has not told john Beck he will be the starting qb. I'm just trying to get the right info out that's all. John Beck could win the job in camp and then he deserves a shot. Right now he is the only qb on the roster who will be here so hope he makes the best of his oppurtunity.

Compared to what alternative, that is only feasible without a lockout?

Competition. With VY, Bulger, or Hass (insider info on targets).

If he can't beat out an aging vet or QB with documented issues, he is no where close to being a starter in this league.

I am glad we have someone like him, but to expect anything from him at this point is praying. Could he prove us wrong? Yes. But lets be real here, it is a long shot.

Compared to what alternative, that is only feasible without a lockout?

even though i know this upcoming seaons is goign to bleak and any skins fan is kidding themselves if they think it will be not.

Beck starting is going to compound a bleaker situation.

Bring in someone to compete with him at least and let see If beck is phony tough (which i beleive wholeheartdely ) or crazy brave.

Beck had the keys in Miami and failed..nothing make me beleive he will do otherwise

even though i know this upcoming seaons is goign to bleak and any skins fan is kidding themselves if they think it will be not.

Beck starting is going to compound a bleaker situation.

Bring in someone to compete with him at least and let see If beck is phony tough (which i beleive wholeheartdely ) or crazy brave.

Beck had the keys in Miami and failed..nothing make me beleive he will do otherwise

I think no matter what happens with the lockout, he'll be competing with whoever's here.

And I just want to point out: He "failed" when given the keys in Miami, in his first four games as a rookie, on one of the worst teams in the history of the league. Those are some extenuating circumstances. He hasn't really gotten another chance till now.

I think no matter what happens with the lockout, he'll be competing with whoever's here.

And I just want to point out: He "failed" when given the keys in Miami, in his first four games as a rookie, on one of the worst teams in the history of the league. Those are some extenuating circumstances. He hasn't really gotten another chance till now.

What are you expecting from him?

Competition. With VY, Bulger, or Hass (insider info on targets).

If he can't beat out an aging vet or QB with documented issues, he is no where close to being a starter in this league.

We could always bring in another QB who doesn't start from day 1 but after some time learning the offense replaces Beck later in the season. We won't go into next season without a couple of QBs on the roster so someone new is coming in to challenge Beck, unless we re-sign Rex. But considering that Beck has had a year in this offense and that the lockout is going to leave the new QB(s) with limited time to digest the offense, if Beck isn't the week 1 starter then that tells me everything I need to know about the rest of his NFL career. Unless Rex comes back it's Beck's job to lose. Which may very well happen as the season progresses, but if it happens BEFORE the season starts, that's a strong indictment on his abilities.

What are you expecting from him?

I'm not really sure that I've decided on any concrete expectations at this point. That's kind of the whole idea: that no one, anywhere, has seen enough of this guy in the NFL to guess what he might do if he earns the starting job.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 06:28 PM ----------

He just killed it on LaVar and Dukes. Then handed the phone off to Leonard Hankerson, completely unexpectedly. They are in San Diego working out.h

That's pretty sweet!

I'd feel better about Beck if there wasn't a lockout. He doesn't have a ton of experience in this offense (or in general). He was added about five days after training camp began last year. Once the regular season starts, the second string QB doesn't get a lot of reps. So, I can only imagine what a third string guy like Beck gets. OTAs and mini-camps could have done wonders for him. The longer this lockout lasts, the fewer opportunities Beck (and any QB we bring in through FA) will have to get acclimated. Our QB situation is a mess either way.

People are crazy, getting upset about Beck possibly starting at QB. I can understand why, but normally when our QBs fall apart, they cost us draft picks or big money.

John Beck? Try Doug Dutch lol.....honestly if Beck's even remotely mediocre, we come out ahead. If he's the worst QB we've had in a decade, what does it matter?

Its a win win situation for a rebuilding team.

Great post ... totally agree. Skins need more of this long-term thinking.

Was anybody else bothered by Beck's "me first" statements in the Sirius interview? Basically he said he's glad McNabb failed because it gives him a chance to start. In other words, who cares if the team's quarterback - and by extension, the team - fails, as long as that gives me a shot.

It just sounded like a real selfish statement, and the attitude of a loser who can't win the job on his own merits, but must hope for the failure of others.. Even if you THINK that there are better ways to say it.

Here's what he said"

"I have to say I'm glad it happened," Beck said of McNabb's demotion. "If I want my opportunity, I have to have stuff like this happen so I can get an opportunity. If McNabb stays as starter of the Washington Redskins, I remain a backup, and I want to be a starter. So, I have to hope for things like this to happen."

No, that didn't upset me at all. He was responding to a question about McNabb, he didn't bring up the topic. I think he gave the answer he should have given

I really disagree. Though I want every player on my team always burning to play, I don't want them openly cheering the misfortune of their teammates.

Archived