Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: Gingrich Blasts House GOP's Medicare Plan

JMS

Newt, announcing his presence in the GOP Presidential bid. Slapping Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney and labeling their efforts hypocrisy. Not for truths sake, but for political purposes. Newt is going to make the GOP fun to watch and might even end up moderating their right wing wackadoodle tendencies.

"I don't think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left-wing social engineering," he said when asked about a Medicare plan championed by House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) as an element of the party's 2012 budget proposal. He said he was against "radical change" on the right and the left."

Say what you like about Newt... He's a player. Ryan's medicare plan which basically casts seniors off in their own sinky life raft to fund further tax cuts for the uber wealthy is what Newt is commenting on. Maybe this will motivate others in the GOP to break the stoney wall of silence on GOP proposals.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703509104576325350084379360.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

Gingrich Blasts House GOP's Medicare Plan

White House hopeful Newt Gingrich called the House Republican plan for Medicare "right-wing social engineering," injecting a discordant GOP voice into the party's efforts to reshape both entitlements and the broader budget debate.

In the same interview Sunday, on NBC's "Meet the Press," Mr. Gingrich backed a requirement that all Americans buy health insurance, complicating a Republican line of attack on President Barack Obama's health law.

The former House speaker's decision to stick with his previous support for an individual mandate comes days after former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney defended the health revamp he championed as governor, which includes a mandate.

The moves suggest the Republican primary contest, which will include both men, could feature a robust debate on health care, with GOP candidates challenging the Democratic law while defending their own variations.

I would love to see Newt's math on how this position gets him the nomination. The GOP has morphed into a socially conservative/economincally libertarian party.

He has always had issues with the first group. Now, he seems to be openly attacking the second all the while trying to run against the Party establishment. Does he think that by running against the three power groups in the party, he will summons a fourth out of thin air?

I would love to see Newt's math on how this position gets him the nomination. The GOP has morphed into a socially conservative/economincally libertarian party.

He has always had issues with the first group. Now' date=' he seems to be openly attacking the second all the while trying to run against the Party establishment. Does he think that by running against the three power groups in the party, he will summons a fourth out of thin air?[/quote']

I saw his interview on Meet the Press. As always, he was prepared with an answer to every question. His strategy is to come across as nicer and more thoughtful. He's basically running a great campaign to be speaker in 1996. He apparently doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the right today. At least it doesn't seem like he does.

Very helpful that two years later the GOP is deciding to have a robust debate on health care.... and at least two leading presidential candidates support the measure that passed with no GOP support when it was proposed. :doh:

Edit:

As far as his math on this one, in fairness there is a solid point that the political climate is not the same now as it was in '96. On the other hand, you could readily agree, even as a GOP frontrunner, that the tea party movement has run its course, and now represents a fringe aspect of the republican party. That is, it could be logical and correct that he doesn't need the tea party faction to win the nomination and/or the general election. Either way, Newt is not a tea party candidate, and never has been one for them. He's a "big business" republican from the 90's and he's sticking to that.

Who wins the first couple states.... thats all that matters, not what they will "DO".

I would suspect that Romney wins New Hampshire.

The most important question for the GOP is always who wins Iowa and South Carolina. Both places are where you earn your "Socon" merit badge. McCain was able to squeeze a win there by getting veterans to the polls (And SC has a ****-ton of vets). No candidate is going to be able to play that trump card this year.

I honestly don't know who is going to pull in the SoCon vote right now. Romney might win Iowa because he will have a strong organization there and strong organizations often get you to at least the #2 spot. But a SoCon usually wins.

Here is a lame early prediction. If Romney wins Iowa, he wins the nomination. If he doesn't, whoever wins Iowa needs to win in SC. If that person does not emerge, Romney may win Florida and then will be off to the races.

I think Pawlenty might steal a win in Iowa, then win SC, and then it's a two man race.

I disagree with that. I think the socially conservative faction of the GOP are the best organized and most vocal minority in the GOP and they are actively pushing out the fiscally conservative folks. I think the Libertarians are likewise a vocal minority in the GOP. More vocal recently with the tea party which seems to have a foot in the libertarian wing of the GOP.

Newt is a darling of fiscal conservatives and has fairly strong social conservative ties from his years as speaker. This is Newt throwing elbows at the current party leaders.

I think Newt is making a political calcualtion that (1) he can't break through and become a front runner in the GOP if he doesn't change that equation. (2) shaking things up and playing to the disenfranchised is his best bet.

He has always had issues with the first group. Now' date=' he seems to be openly attacking the second all the while trying to run against the Party establishment. Does he think that by running against the three power groups in the party, he will summons a fourth out of thin air?[/quote']

I don't think Newt has ever had problems with social conservtives on their key social issues ( abortion, gay marrage, return to latin masses, wearing hair shirts, self flagulation)... I think Newt has far superior fiscal conservative ties and track record than any of the current GOP office holders and he's playing to that. Newt was the key guy in the Clinton balanceed budgets of the 1990's. It's pretty hard for Ryan or anybody who voted for the Budgets of the Bush era to come at Newt from a more fiscally repsonsible angle.

Here I don't think Newt was intending to destroy Ryan, who's frankly too little a fish to go after. Newt was going after Mitt who has been flip flooping all over the news paper to stay in line with Ryan's agenda.

Most GOPers supported some kind of mandate to prevent the uninsured from freeloading off of hardworking Americans. It was only when it became a centerpiece of Obamacare that it was relegated to sacrilege. It' like Dems blasting W for Education after he sponsored Ted Kennedy's No Chil LB plan.

I would suspect that Romney wins New Hampshire.

I doubt it. Being big in Massachusetts' date=' which Romney is no longer; doesn't mean jack in "live free or die", New Hampshire.

[/quote']

The most important question for the GOP is always who wins Iowa and South Carolina. Both places are where you earn your "Socon" merit badge. McCain was able to squeeze a win there by getting veterans to the polls (And SC has a ****-ton of vets). No candidate is going to be able to play that trump card this year.

I honestly don't know who is going to pull in the SoCon vote right now. Romney might win Iowa because he will have a strong organization there and strong organizations often get you to at least the #2 spot. But a SoCon usually wins.

Here is a lame early prediction. If Romney wins Iowa' date=' he wins the nomination. If he doesn't, whoever wins Iowa needs to win in SC. If that person does not emerge, Romney may win Florida and then will be off to the races.

I think Pawlenty might steal a win in Iowa, then win SC, and then it's a two man race.[/quote']

I think that's pretty good analysis, but I don't think that really plays into Newts thinking here. Newt is so far back he's got to take shots at the front runner Mitt in order to make a mark. That's what Newt is doing here.. putting his name out there. Today Newt isn't even in the picture. Exposing Mitt's hypocrisy is Mitt's biggest weakness. Getting Mitt to defend Ryan's medicare plan,, and highlight his condemnation of Obama care is excellent for Newt; because it makes Mitt look like an idiot. Obama care is basically Mitt's own Massachusetts health care bill taken to the national level. It's Mitt's biggest accomplishment. Highlighting that is a loosing issue for Mitt.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 12:42 PM ----------

As far as his math on this one, in fairness there is a solid point that the political climate is not the same now as it was in '96. On the other hand, you could readily agree, even as a GOP frontrunner, that the tea party movement has run its course, and now represents a fringe aspect of the republican party. That is, it could be logical and correct that he doesn't need the tea party faction to win the nomination and/or the general election. Either way, Newt is not a tea party candidate, and never has been one for them. He's a "big business" republican from the 90's and he's sticking to that.

Yep I saw a poll that said 70% of Republicans opossed Ryans privatization of Medicare. 90% of Democrats. That's a great wedge issue for Newt to exploit.

It's not like Romney can reverse himself on this, because he's already reversed himself to support Ryan... It's great theatre.

So Newt is going to the center in order to solidify the base on the Right? Odd strategy, this will be fun to watch.

My guess is that both Newt and Romney are thinking long term general election and they don't want to have to back track on things they said during the primaries, only problem is that they've got to get out of the primaries in order for their strategy to work. Ought to be fun to watch.

Romney is either going to fall apart a la Guiliani or hold it together long enough to win the nomination on the "It's My Turn" platform. If Romney collapses, the media, the right wing echo chamber, and his only failings will have done it. Jumping on him only makes Newt look like an opportunist. Destroying Romney only creates a more cluttered field.

The key to winning the nomination this year is to set yourself up as the second option to Romney. What you need to happen is voters to say "I can't vote for this *******. Who are the alternatives?"

In a weird way, this Republican primary is going to look like most Democratic Primaries. Democrats always start with their Hubert Humphries and then say, "Oh Christ no...who else?" Sometimes, Hubert wins (Mondale in '84....Kerry in 04). Most of the time, Who else? wins. (JFK....McGovern...Carter....Clinton.....Obama).

It's exceedingly rare for "Who Else" to win a Republican nomination. It may happen this year.

So Newt is going to the center in order to solidify the base on the Right? Odd strategy, this will be fun to watch.

My guess is that both Newt and Romney are thinking long term general election and they don't want to have to back track on things they said during the primaries, only problem is that they've got to get out of the primaries in order for their strategy to work. Ought to be fun to watch.

Mitt Romney has had to push too far to the right to overcome the fact that he was a moderate pro choice, left leaning former Governor of Massachusetts. Newt is just taking advantage of that.

It's not like 70% of all self identified Republicans don't already disagree with Ryan and Mitt on this issue. 90% of Democrats and a high number of Independents too. This is a perfect attack by Newt, there is little down side.

McClatchy Poll: 73% Of Republicans and 70% of Tea Partiers Oppose Cuts To Medicare

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2011/04/19/marist-medicare-republicans/

Jumping on him only makes Newt look like an opportunist. Destroying Romney only creates a more cluttered field.

I think Mitt left himself wide open to this attack and Newt busted him in the chops. Mitt is trying to portray himself as the darling of the religious right; by sucking up to the power brokers. But somebody has to ask; seriously?

This is Newt at his best. I agree if Mitt falls it's an open race and Newt's chances thus go up. If Newt can accelerate Mitt's demise while appealing to Republicans, Tea party folks, and Independents then it's all the better for him.

I have to go along with JMS for a change :D. Newt has a big advantage over his competition when it comes to overall brains, truly relevant political experience, and policy-savvy. I don't think he is likely to remain viable and successful all the way to the nomination, but it's a much more beneficial process for the the GOP to have him in the game.

I have to go along with JMS for a change :D. Newt has a big advantage over his competition when it comes to overall brains, truly relevant political experience, and policy-savvy. I don't think he is likely to remain viable and successful all the way to the nomination, but it's a much more beneficial process for the the GOP to have him in the game.

Just to make you feel better and further distance you from myself. I will disagree with the latter part of your statement... " I don't think he is likely to remain viable and successful all the way to the nomination"

The Republican field is very very thin. Guys like Guliani and Fred Thomson have proven to be toothless or shadow candidates. Women like Bachman an Pailin have proven to be prone to inappropriate or idiotic statements. Guy's like McCain and Dole are gone...

Who do the Republicans have? a few whackadoodles like the Paul brothers ( brothers in spirit); throw Tim Pawlenty into that mix. who make even party insiders skin crawl; These guys chances diminished when the radical mouths of the right on radio ratings started to diminish late last year.

Think of this... Mitt Romney who has never obtained or held public office before as a pro life candidate is being pushed by the religious conservative wing of the GOP. Think of that. Is that really a testiment of Mitt's talents; or a testiment of the slim pickings on the right. Mitt is a wealthy guy which direct ties to the deep pockets out on Utah. That and his metamorphic ability to reshape himself and his political positions into whatever people want to hear are his chief attributes.

Newt is the front runner if Romney falls out of contention. Newt is not only smartest, best known and has the best resume of the folks who are left, but also incredible the least objectionable. It's a trifecta + One.. Mitt's really the only one standing between Newt and 2012.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

Newt pretty much killed his campaign.

Just to put that into context... "Newt killed his campaign" by aligning himself with more than 70% of republicans, about 70% of tea party folks, and about 90% of independents with Mitt Romney on the loosing side of that issue?

Not only did Newt not hurt his chances... I think he just announced himself as a force to be reckoned with.

Oh yea. The Tea Party Movement is going to moderate.

Here is my prediction: Bachmann is going to be on the national ticket next year. I'm just not sure in what slot.

If this happens, the GOP can kiss any reasonable chance of winning in 2012 goodbye.

Just to put that into context... "Newt killed his campaign" by aligning himself with more than 70% of republicans, about 70% of tea party folks, and about 90% of independents with Mitt Romney on the loosing side of that issue?

Not only did Newt not hurt his chances... I think he just announced himself as a force to be reckoned with.

70 percent of those on the right are in favor of a health insurance mandate? Where do you see that?

Maybe Newt is smarter than he looks. In the long run, nobody can run on budget cuts that include cuts in medicare, nobody. I mean wake up people, the rich gets richer. Look at food prices and gasoline prices. Not to mention there was no increase in medicare because the inflation index remains level. How is the world are you going to win an election by cutting medicare? Newt is not stupid.

Maybe Newt is smarter than he looks. In the long run, nobody can run on budget cuts that include cuts in medicare, nobody. I mean wake up people, the rich gets richer. Look at food prices and gasoline prices. Not to mention there was no increase in medicare because the inflation index remains level. How is the world are you going to win an election by cutting medicare? Newt is not stupid.

It doesn’t take a genius.

Newt understands that you win an election by representing what the people want.

The Ryan plan is a non-starter with the American public, it took all of a couple of weeks for the plan to be shouted down by an instantaneous backlash from the American public.

While Romney over-reaches ideologically right to try to sway the tea party (who people are going to be plenty sick of by next election) Newt intends to gobble them up by representing what they actually want AND undercut Romney with the centrist republicans that no one seems to be pandering to and will ultimately go to Romney if all things go as they look like they are going to.

Archived