Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 10 Most Crippling Free-Agent Contracts in NFL History

Chiefinonhaze

The article is easier to read if you start on page 1: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/698692-nfl-free-agency-the-10-most-crippling-free-agent-contracts-in-nfl-history

No big surprises here:

#6: Dana Stubblefield

#4: Adam Archuleta

#2: Albert Haynesworth

#1: Deion Sanders

So, for those keeping track, we have four of the top ten worst FA moves, including the top 2.

Well, ouch.

A few that didn't make the list that some might say should have:

-Jeff George

-Jeremiah Trotter

Oh never mind, here they are: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359534-washington-redskins-five-worst-free-agent-signings-ever

And a few others that maybe should have:

-Brandon Lloyd

-Antwaan Randle El

-Dan Wilkenson

I thought Wilkinson was OK, that Dana Stubblefield was the problem in the middle. :whoknows:

A few that didn't make the list that some might say should have:

-Jeff George

-Jeremiah Trotter

Oh never mind, here they are: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359534-washington-redskins-five-worst-free-agent-signings-ever

And a few others that maybe should have:

-Brandon Lloyd

-Antwaan Randle El

-Dan Wilkenson

Wilkinson and Randle El were at least kinda sorda productive. Not worth the $ they got but they weren't total dog****.

We actually got off easy on that contract. I think we spent $5m and got a 6th round pick in return. Not bad at all.

It could be argued that none of the FA contracts were "crippling" to the Skins...waste of money? Yes. Bad signings? Definitely. "Crippling"? Debatable, ESPECIALLY Archuletta's (for the reasons you just mentioned).

It could be argued that none of the FA contracts were "crippling" to the Skins...waste of money? Yes. Bad signings? Definitely. "Crippling"? Debatable, ESPECIALLY Archuletta's (for the reasons you just mentioned).

Exactly. Same with Haynesworth's. Record contract? Yes. Pain in the ass? Yes. Lack of production? Yes. Media drama? Yes. Loads of money given to him for nothing but trouble and a headache? Yes.

Crippling? Not even close.

Buy high, sell cheap.

Snyder is a genius at what again? Marketing. That's what. Not quality or shrewdness in obtaining assets with good returns.

And we always talk trash about how the Eagles are too cheap. Well, they're fielded a better than we have despite their cheapness, even with McFlabb.

yes we could have had all top ten spots, but i guess he was being merciful towards us but i do believe that those days are now over and we have progressed from idiots to thinkers in the front office (no vinny and the IQ rose immediately) with the Shannahans in charge i am seeing a new way of doing things in DC

hail

You might be able to blow off any one of these as just a gamble that failed, but when you see them happen year after year, the same sad pattern repeating itself then they do rise to the level of crippling the franchise. It isn't just about the money or cap, but all those players that might have been, season after season of "Who cares? I get paid" attitudes in the lockerroom, players that shied away from DC, ones that went elsewhere and flourished, etc., etc. and so on.

This is just one more symptom of the massive fustercluck that our team has become. It wasn't quick, it took a long time and a lot of work to make things this bad. We couldn't have been worse if Jerry Jones was making decisions for the Skins.

But I can say this with absolute certainty, I will never go piss on Vinnie's grave, I hate standing in those long lines.

We sure were crippled with those signings weren't we? After all how many guys did we want to sign but couldn't afford to because of the other douchebags we signed :rolleyes:

What exactly was "crippling" about signing any of those guys?

Sure they were failures but none of them crippled us. I'd probably stop right there except for the fact that once again the fanbase is chomping at the bit here for the next round of Free Agents. Remember when your posting about wanting us to sign Nnamdi Asomugha, Vince Young. or whomever the coveted Free Agent is that the fanbase can't wait to ink. Remember how these guys turn out in Washington. And remember how many games we've won with that way of thinking. And just maybe then many of you will start to realize that until we stop being the butt of the leagues game of "lets pretend that this guys great and doesn't completely suck so Washington takes him and looks like idiots again" we will always be the leagues big money playing laughingstock.

Thou shall not covet another teams player

That's a commandment that so many of you here need to memorize.

It all depends on how you define "crippling". Maybe not all were financially crippling, but from the standpoint of reputation throughout the league and the outside perspective, all the horrible FA signs over the past 10-15 years have been hugely crippling/damaging. It's been a cumulative affect.

This used to be a well-respected franchise,......USED to be.

You might be able to blow off any one of these as just a gamble that failed, but when you see them happen year after year, the same sad pattern repeating itself then they do rise to the level of crippling the franchise. It isn't just about the money or cap, but all those players that might have been, season after season of "Who cares? I get paid" attitudes in the lockerroom, players that shied away from DC, ones that went elsewhere and flourished, etc., etc. and so on.

I don't know too many big name FA players who left here to do better elsewhere. Dana Stubblefield and Deion qualify (Tho I note that Stubblefield was a pre-Snyder mistake) but I don't know many others. I guess you can say Lloyd, but it took him a few mediocre seasons to finally get his head screwed on right. Arch, tho, was pretty much done after leaving here. As for Big Al, I don't know if he's ever going to reach his potential with his attitude.

I don't know too many big name FA players who left here to do better elsewhere. Dana Stubblefield and Deion qualify (Tho I note that Stubblefield was a pre-Snyder mistake) but I don't know many others. I guess you can say Lloyd, but it took him a few mediocre seasons to finally get his head screwed on right. Arch, tho, was pretty much done after leaving here. As for Big Al, I don't know if he's ever going to reach his potential with his attitude.

So your post just proves that they were pretty much all washed up before they got here and were washed up when they left. Wonderful scouting on our part don'tcha think?

There ARE good Free Agents out there... we just never seem sign 'em... and that falls on the scouting department and player personnel's shoulders.

Of course it all depends on how you massage the criteria for big enough/well enough, but we sure as hell could have used some of Ryan Clark's game in our secondary, Pierce (for all his mouth) was productive for a division rival, even the Lloser has added to someone else's game.

Archived