Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You Have $100,000 And Your Slate Is Wiped Clean. What Do You Do?

Hubbs

A down payment???? Thank god I moved away from the DC area. :ols:

$15,000 - My wife and I would get to BA Round-the-World flex-fare tickets and spend 12 months traveling. Mostly overland backpacking South America and Asia.

After I get back . . .

1) Find a job (just to pay the bills and mortgage for now)

2) Take $10,000 -for down payment on a $250,00 home in Austin or a farm house outside the city.

3) Put $75,000 into my savings account.

4) I do online work (design, communications, strategy). After creating a business plan and identifying a few clients, quit my job and attempt to make it using the 75k as living money while I go through the growing pains (or failures) of a new business.

You obviously missed the ENTIRE post made by the OP. Your plan doesn't even line up with what he posted :ols: Reading comprehension is your friend. ;)

You obviously missed the ENTIRE post made by the OP. Your plan doesn't even line up with what he posted :ols: Reading comprehension is your friend. ;)

Ummm, just re-read it. Not sure what you are talking about.

How does anything I listed conflict with it. Travel, put a down-payment on a house in Austin, find a new job (could be anything, just BS work) to pay the bills while making a business plan based on my web work skill. Eventually start a new business using the remainder 75k to help me stay afloat for a year or two.

Ummm, just re-read it. Not sure what you are talking about.

How does anything I listed conflict with it. Travel, put a down payment on a house in Austin, find a new job to pay the bills while attempting to a new business.

Well I guess if you are currently renting, your plan isn't that far off.

Would love to know how you spend a year traveling on 15K.

Ramen and a tent.

I was at the grocery store this evening and Ramen is 5/$1. When I was in college it was 4/$1. It's getting CHEAPER! Amazing.

Really? Its not that crazy. Europeans do "leap-years" all the time either before or after University. Many on the British Airways around the world flex fair. Not really that uncommon for youth outside the US. It can be affordable if done right.

I lived in India for 4 months for about $2,000 . I lived in South East Asia - mostly Thailand/Cambodia for 3 months for roughly $1k-$2k and that was wasting money on a ton of drinking and partying. Could eassssily have spent less just on bungalow on the beach.

Keep out of Europe, Caribbean, Australia, South Pacific and East Asia (Japan and Korea mostly) and the world is pretty cheap.

I could take $5,000 and live like a KING in Cambodia and Vietnam for 6 months. Probably spend a bit of time just living on the beaches in Vietnam and island hoping.

Thinking about it more, 15k would be a bit tight on 1 year. Very possible, but mostly $20 a night places. Good, but not great. I would probably also hate traveling for a year. I would probably do like 6-7 months and bump up the accommodations. Some long term (3-4 week rentals).

Now I am going to go fantasy vacation shop on homeaway.com. . . . .

Ramen and a tent.

I was at the grocery store this evening and Ramen is 5/$1. When I was in college it was 4/$1. It's getting CHEAPER! Amazing.

:ols:

"Living" for Duckus and his partner for a year on $41 dollars a day is not possible unless he is living in a tent and eating Ramen 24x7.

I mean I know it can be done, but really?????

:ols:

"Living" for Duckus and his partner for a year on $41 dollars a day is not possible unless he is living in a tent and eating Ramen 24x7.

I mean I know it can be done, but really?????

It really not that hard. Again, stick to the right countries and it is fairly easy. But as I said just previously, 15k for 1 year would be a bit rough (length of trip and accommodations), I would more likely do 6-7 months. Pick 5-6 places and do long term rentals and live it up a bit.

You can get a mid to high-end apartment in Vietnam or Cambodia (fully furnished) for $500/$600 a month - so roughly $14 a day. But as I said before, if you shorten the trip you could do a couple of $1,000 - $1,500 a month rentals as well (which in some countries would be ridiculously high-end).

Well, since I'm the only person in the entire health department with the security clearance to run my grant, my boss would be calling my ass at 7:00am ****ing me out for not being there...regardless of what that lovely note says.

I would continue my job, trade in my Mustang and buy a ****ing car that works (a reasonable car, like an Xtera, probably a year used or so), put a decent down payment on a home, invest a bit, and put the rest in my bank account. If I had 7 grand or so (after having about 10-15 grand in savings), I would choose 2 international wrestling events to attend to support my husband.

It really not that hard. Again, stick to the right countries and it is fairly easy. But as I said just previously, 15k for 1 year would be a bit rough (length of trip and accommodations), I would more likely do 6-7 months. Pick 5-6 places and do long term rentals and live it up a bit.

You can get a mid to high-end apartment in Vietnam or Cambodia (fully furnished) for $500/$600 a month - so roughly $14 a day. But as I said before, if you shorten the trip you could do a couple of $1,000 - $1,500 a month rentals as well (which in some countries would be ridiculously high-end).

I mean you have to eat, and have some spending money. You and a partner on $41 a day would be rough living. But if thats your cup of tea. I could go homeless on skid row on 15K a year. Doesn't make it something I want to do.

---------- Post added May-16th-2011 at 12:24 AM ----------

Well, since I'm the only person in the entire health department with the security clearance to run my grant, my boss would be calling my ass at 7:00am ****ing me out for not being there...regardless of what that lovely note says.

I would continue my job, trade in my Mustang and buy a ****ing car that works (a reasonable car, like an Xtera, probably a year used or so), put a decent down payment on a home, invest a bit, and put the rest in my bank account. If I had 7 grand or so (after having about 10-15 grand in savings), I would choose 2 international wrestling events to attend to support my husband.

You don't have that job, it's gone.

Who would want to visit Vietnam or Cambodia though? Hell, if I'm gonna travel outside the country and **** I want to see some "scenery". I'm thinking places like Brazil and Switzerland.

I use at least half of it to put a down payment on a piece of land that can hold my girlfriend's ponies with a decent house on the property and sell the house I'm in in hopes to get the majority of the rest of the land paid off if not all of it. Then hopefully be able to start a family with Heli. That's what I'd do.

Who would want to visit Vietnam or Cambodia though? Hell, if I'm gonna travel outside the country and **** I want to see some "scenery". I'm thinking places like Brazil and Switzerland.

Vietnam has some of the beautiful beaches in the world. Some of the islands of the coast are breath taking.

Cambodia has it's place, not as senic. But I love parts of it. One of my favorite places in the world.

Vietnam has some of the beautiful beaches in the world. Some of the islands of the coast are breath taking.

Cambodia has it's place, not as senic. But I love parts of it. One of my favorite places in the world.

That's not the kind of scenery I was referring to.;)

Clean slate, eh? So, job is gone, degree is gone. Family is probably gone too, if no one has ever heard of me. First thing I would do is try to find some sort of employment. That's going to be difficult if I have no references, and no previous work history. $100k isn't going to last very long.

Assuming I could find something to put food on the table, and pay the taxes on the residence that I would appear to own, I'd put that 100k into finding the piece of crap that did this to me, so I could bash his or her head in.

If I was given a hundred thousand dollars and all my obligations were wiped away. I would probably write another novel, really spend some time honing my radio show, and put it on the air.

I wouldn't do this, but it would be incredible to have a hundred thousand dollar day. Just do everything 5 stars until it runs out.

Either that or I'd put it into a high risk investment vehicle or worse go to Vegas and see if I could parlay that into some major starting capitol. A hundred thousand bucks is enough to change a life, but not be life changing. Isn't that crazy?

I'd sell the house, move to an area that is more rural and acquire some land. From that property, I'd probably take 2 tracts for income generation. Tract 1 would be the self sufficient one where I grow food for sale and do apply simple homesteading style skills to all manner of items to sell.

Tract 2 would be some focused training in It related skills in an effort to conduct business more electronically from home.

Lastly, I'd network with the local community in bartering.

Archived