Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBNDC: Donovan McNabb Wristband Story Changes Nothing For Washington Redskins

SMOSS89

By now, you’ve heard all about the alleged wristband incident between Mike and Kyle Shanahan and Donovan McNabb. Long story short: the Shanahans wanted McNabb to wear a wristband containing a playsheet to help the offense run smoother. McNabb refused, not wanting to ruin his image, or so the story goes.

There’s since been a debate as to whether or not this story is true. But here’s a better question:

Does it even matter now?

I understand that this story reveals just a sliver of the mistrust that must have existed between the Shanahan’s and McNabb, but is this one tale that big of a deal?

I’m not going to debate whether or not it’s true. That’s not for me to say at this point. But even if McNabb put on the wristband, would the Redskins have magically finished the 2010 season with a 10-6 record? Probably not. The team had a lot more issues last season than whether or not McNabb was willing to 'ruin his image'. How about the pourous offensive line? How about the lack of playmakers? What about the 3-4 defense that featured more miscasts than fits? The McNabb drama certainly played it's part in last season's struggles, but it wasn't the sole reason why the team finished 6-10.

The only thing this story and the subsequent reaction truly illustrated is this: The NFL lockout needs to end. Immediately.

The current labor situation has handcuffed every team, but no team might be more handcuffed by the labor strife than the Redskins. This is precisely one of the reasons why. The first order of business for this team once the lockout ends will likely be to ship McNabb out of town one way or another. But until then, they are forced to sit by idly as stories like this one spread and get more and more media attention. That's what happens when there's a lockout and teams aren't allowed to make personnel moves.

Click HERE to read rest of the feature

Good article and I concur on the point of view that it is not only hindsight but meaningless in the grand scheme of things. McNabb may or may not play for the Redskins again but most likely won't. The lockout however is having an effect on the Redskins in two ways, one is getting or adding FA talent and the other is being able to trade/cut Haynesworth and McNabb. The lockout prevents the Redskins from moving forward, and I think that hurts the team for 2011.

quoting -----The current labor situation has handcuffed every team, but no team might be more handcuffed by the labor strife than the Redskins. This is precisely one of the reasons why. The first order of business for this team once the lockout ends will likely be to ship McNabb out of town one way or another. But until then, they are forced to sit by idly as stories like this one spread and get more and more media attention. That's what happens when there's a lockout and teams aren't allowed to make personnel moves.

I'd say the only way it truly matters is in the fact that if true, it is a form of insubordination which would have given the Shanahans good reasoning for benching him. Now in the grand scheme of things it matters not, McNabb will either be traded or released as soon as he can be (barring a serious change). I will say that I'm ready for McNabb to be gone now....the drama needs to leave DC and after last year, it surrounds Donovan at every angle. Good article.

Good points, it really doesn't change any bottom line for the Skins. However, it does seem to explain some of the coaching decisions and the reason for the rocky relationship between the Shannahans and McNabb. Prior to the news, I know I personally was perplexed by the Denver benching. Even more confusing was how Shannahan seemed to keep changing his story about why he benched McNabb. Then as the season went on, I knew McNabb was under performing but I could not understand how such a big investment got into the dog house so quickly.

The wristband news report changes nothing for the team now. But as a fan, it makes me gain more respect for our coaches and less for McNabb. Perhaps it'll soften the blow when the team undoubtedly gets rid of him.

Pretty much, moving forward this lock out needs to end so teams can work on this season! Right now everything is halted, stunted, and is falling further behind which will produce a worse product.

I agree with the points made...at this juncture it doesn't mean a whole lot anyway...it's the past. It was handled poorly, it was apparently a bad fit, McNabb needs to move on and so does the team. There were far more problems with the club, personnel etc. than McNabb and the Shanahans.

Archived