Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there any hope that this year's team doesnt suck?

jaydogg3eb

I look at our roster and I'm shaking my head. I'll admit though, I don't follow college football so I know nothing of our draft picks, and I know we haven't gone through FA yet, but c'mon... our coach is toying with the idea of John Beck as our secret weapon starting QB? The dude is 30 and hasn't taken a snap since 2007. I have no idea who our RB's or WR's are, and it's beyond me how Rabach STILL has a damn starting job in this league. Not to mention, the rest of our OL outside of Williams seems to suck or be inconsistent at best.

So, for those who know more than me, is there any chance that this team doesn't suck in 2011?

You're on the wrong message board if you think you'll get serious responses to this question.

Year after year, no matter what our roster looks like, the majority of people vote that we will finish 10-6. Not 9-7, not 11-5, but 10-6. A winning season, but not barely like 9-7 would be.

That being said, I agree that I can't see us being very good this season. It hurts to say it, but we do need to rebuild (this year's draft was the beginning of that) and we do need to suck up one or two terrible seasons with all draft picks intact if we want to be like the Steelers or Packers one day.

As a fan, I have to delude myself into thinking we'll go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl until proven otherwise. Watching Redskins games would be too hard without thinking they can make a splash.

But realistically, I see us more flirting with .500, give or take a couple wins.

Any hope? Sure, isn't there always? You never know when the entire opposing team will come down with Ebola on Saturday night and your starters do just well enough to not beat themselves. A dropped/caught INT, a fumble bounces left instead of right, an ill-timed penalty, all of these things come into play. If Baron doesn't choke Orakpo we lose week 1. Hell, if the refs overlook the choke we lose that game. If Cutler decides to throw a single pass in Carlos Rogers' direction we might lose that game. If Gano remembers how to be a kicker we could've won 2-3 more games.

And let's be honest, there's been at least 1 Cubs fan every year out of the last 100+ that just knew that this year was finally the year. :ols:

Barring John Beck being a Kurt Warner 1999 story, and signficant free agent acquisitions, I see this as no more then a 4 win team

I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see how we are going to be worse than last year. Our team was awful last year. Looking at the roster top to bottom, it was terrible. Our schedule is easier than last year and we have the chance to get some excellent building blocks in free agency. And I know what people are going to say about building through free agency, but if the players and owners get everything settled in a reasonable timeframe, free agency is going to be like we have not seen in a long time. We don't have to overspend and make a big splash to get better. There is going to be a significant amount of players out there that can help us for a long time and we have a lot of cap space. I have faith in this front office that they are not going to go Haynesworth/Archuleta/Lloyd crazy, but we can legitimately pick up 3-5 guys that can come in and help now without mortgaging the future.

I think it is too early, but I will say 7-9. We will still have a few new players that will be coming in and who knows whether Beck will be our QB or not. I am fine with Beck, I have been a fan since he was at BYU and don't think he has ever been given a real chance. But I also want another option should he falter, and I don't think that option is on the team right now.

There are still a lot of dominos left to fall, but I am more optimistic than most. I sure don't think this team is going to be contending for anything, but I don't think we will be terrible. Simply put, I think we will be better top to bottom and our schedule is easier. I think last year was the rock bottom year. Hopefully we will take baby steps from here.

I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see how we are going to be worse than last year. Our team was awful last year.

Ok, I'll play the part of the pessimist for you. Here are some ways that, in the short term, we could be worse than last year:

-Moss, our most productive receiver, is a FA. If he gets paid elsewhere, we've got a 30 year old sophomore WR as our leader and a whole lot of unknowns

-Brown, last year's RT, is also unsigned. If he leaves to get LT money (which we won't pay, already having an LT), we're currently left with Heyer and our practice squad guy Capers to fill the role.

-The current QB situation consists of a mid-30's QB we invested heavily in to pry from our rival and oh yeah supposedly isn't a fit for the system and might be cut, an early 30's journeyman with a tendency to turn the ball over, and a 30 year old 3rd stringer with almost no game experience

-Our starting QB is rumored to be Beck, a 30 year old journeyman who came into the league late and has less than a half-season of starts under his belt.

-Our workhorse RB for the last 7 years is gone, replaced by a guy who can't stay healthy for 16 games and a couple of rookies we know nothing about

-The #2 and #3 CBs are both FAs who might be gone because we won't pay them what they want (Rogers) or are older on a team needing youth (Buchanon), leaving last year's dime guy and several bubble players and rookies to compete for the #2-#4 spots

-Casey ****ing Rabach is still supposed to start at Center

Now, all of that said this team traded down and used that to get younger in a lot of positions. The WR corps and D-line depth got a much-needed youth infusion of depth. This team would appear at the moment to be on the right track, be this team could easily do worse than last year in the short term in order to focus on the long term. A 4 win year next year would get a lot of the rookies experience and playing time.

One thing we have to look forward to, is watching some of our young talent grow. I think with the Shanny's, we'll likely improve drastically on offense - especially in the running game. But I have a feeling Haslett will be a goner by the end of the season lol I just don't ever remember the Rams and Saints fielding defenses that scared anyone - just my personal view.

One thing we have to look forward to, is watching some of our young talent grow. I think with the Shanny's, we'll likely improve drastically on offense - especially in the running game. But I have a feeling Haslett will be a goner by the end of the season lol I just don't ever remember the Rams and Saints fielding defenses that scared anyone - just my personal view.

I was under the impression that almost every Redskin fan hopes Haslett will go soon. Kinda like a Casey Rabach type thing, but not quite as severe. People agree on a few things lol.

But yes, I think the offense will be improved next year. 2010 isn't a hard year to top :D

Same for the D...to a lesser extent with Haslett here. 5-8 wins I'd say, depending on how much PT younger guys get, and FA, and the QB. Many unknowns right now.

our coach is toying with the idea of John Beck as our secret weapon starting QB? The dude is 30 and hasn't taken a snap since 2007.
I understand the concern; Beck is basically an unknown at this point.

You have to go back and watch Beck's BYU highlights to get an idea of what Shanny might see in him. In college, he showed accuracy, mobility, smarts, and great anticipation.

Sometimes guys who ride the pine for their first 3-4 years in the league do well. Remember, Beck has not been in the league as long as his age suggests, he took time off as a missionary.

Also, you cannot rule out the possibilities of bringing in a free agent like Vince Young or Kyle Orton, or re-signing Grossman, or keeping McNabb.

I have no idea who our RB's or WR's are
Watch some video of Hankerson, Helu, and Royster before judging the WRs and RBs.

It looks like we really upgraded these units in the draft.

WRs: Hankerson should be the possession receiver we have been wanting for. We still have Armstrong, Kelly, Banks, and Austin in the mix at WR too, so its actually getting crowded there. If we will just re-sign Moss, who said he wants to come back, then I think we are OK in this department.

RBs: Helu and Royster are instant upgrades to our running back corps. Helu brings the 4.4 speed and cut-and-go skills we lacked last season; the dude has breakaway ability. Royster is a good all-around back and will probably be in the mix. He could be our workhorse if Ryan Torrain goes down. Royster pretty much carried Penn State's offense on his shoulders, and set a bunch of school records in the process. I am happy to go into the season with Torrain, Helu, and Royster at RB.

and it's beyond me how Rabach STILL has a damn starting job in this league. Not to mention, the rest of our OL outside of Williams seems to suck or be inconsistent at best.
Hard to argue with this assessment. Count me as very worried about the offensive line. All Shanny has said about this is, "We have a plan," whatever that might mean.
is there any chance that this team doesn't suck in 2011?
I don't know, but my money says we will be better. I think we have already improved the skill positions on offense. I also fully expect to see a much better defense with the addition Atogwe at safety and the two big boys up front (Kerrigan and Jenkins).

This is not to say we don't have problems, because we do. Offensive line and the kicking game are my two main concerns right now, and it is hard to see us being really good without addressing those issues. But I think we will be better. The youth movement and being in year two of Shanny and Haslett's systems are some causes for optimism.

Ok, I'll play the part of the pessimist for you. Here are some ways that, in the short term, we could be worse than last year:

-Moss, our most productive receiver, is a FA. If he gets paid elsewhere, we've got a 30 year old sophomore WR as our leader and a whole lot of unknowns

-Brown, last year's RT, is also unsigned. If he leaves to get LT money (which we won't pay, already having an LT), we're currently left with Heyer and our practice squad guy Capers to fill the role.

-The current QB situation consists of a mid-30's QB we invested heavily in to pry from our rival and oh yeah supposedly isn't a fit for the system and might be cut, an early 30's journeyman with a tendency to turn the ball over, and a 30 year old 3rd stringer with almost no game experience

-Our starting QB is rumored to be Beck, a 30 year old journeyman who came into the league late and has less than a half-season of starts under his belt.

-Our workhorse RB for the last 7 years is gone, replaced by a guy who can't stay healthy for 16 games and a couple of rookies we know nothing about

-The #2 and #3 CBs are both FAs who might be gone because we won't pay them what they want (Rogers) or are older on a team needing youth (Buchanon), leaving last year's dime guy and several bubble players and rookies to compete for the #2-#4 spots

-Casey ****ing Rabach is still supposed to start at Center

Understandable, but addressing these in order:

- If Moss leaves (and I don't think he will), I am confident that we will sign an adequate replacement. I love Santana, but he did not play his best last year (had great stats, but also dropped a good amount of balls) and has always been miscast at a #1 receiver. If he stays, great. If not, I don't see it being a huge impact.

- Same thing with Brown. He did not play great last year. If he stays, great. if not, I am not concerned. I am confident that we will sign at least one OL that causes us to shuffle our OL a little and get the best guys on the field.

- Our QB situation sucked last year. I might regret saying this, but I don't think it will get worse. There will be another QB on this roster before the season starts, if it starts.

- We really do not know what we have in Beck. His only chance was with an abysmal Dolphins team that was one of the least skilled groups I have ever seen. He was very highly thought of coming out of college and has not gotten a fair chance IMO. Shanny obviously thinks highly of him, and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. And again, I am confident that we will have someone else in here to either be the starter or to be waiting in the wings if Beck falters.

- Portis has been a non-factor for the last two years. Love the guy, but he did nothing last year, so he is not a loss for me moving forward. the guys that did make an impact running the ball are still here. As well as two new ones, including Helu, that fits this blocking scheme perfectly.

- Rogers might hurt if he leaves, but if he does, someone else will take the money that we are offering him. Maybe someone that can catch the ball. Buchanon would not be a big loss IMO.

- Nobody knows who our starting center is going to be. It is all speculation right now. We have a better center on the roster and that showed during the Tennessee game. If Rabach starts the season there, it might not be for long. And as I said earlier, there will be O-line FA signings that will change things up a bit, so whoever is the projected starter now is irrelevant.

I understand the pessimism to an extent. But to me, the only thing that we could lose that may hurt a little are Moss and Rogers. And there will be guys that we could bring in that could compete at the same or a higher level at those positions, likely for the same money that we will offer them. We got poor production from the QB position, Portis was a non-factor, Buchanon is who he is at this point and even if Rabach sucks, he sucked last year too. I just think that the things that were bad last year are not going to get worse this year. I mean you can't subtract from zero, right? :)

I was under the impression that almost every Redskin fan hopes Haslett will go soon. Kinda like a Casey Rabach type thing, but not quite as severe. People agree on a few things lol.

I don't hope he fails, I hope he is successful.

I'm just going with my gutt, based on my experiences with this team. We usually get one or the other. Not often do we have both a good defense and a good offense.

We've had good defenses in the past, with below average offense. I just think now we'll finally get the offense we've been waiting for, but our defense will be horrific.

Shanny's teams have - for the most part - always had bad defenses. He picks some odd ones for D coordinators.

There's always hope.

1. Second year of the same system.

2. Realistic that defense will improve (couldn't get much worse than last year).

3. Possibe hope that the WRs and RBs turn out to be great.

4. Free agency.

Biggest question mark right now is our offensive line. If we get that fixed through free agency, I don't see why we couldn't at least hope for a productive season.

I don't hope he fails, I hope he is successful.

I'm just going with my gutt, based on my experiences with this team. We usually get one or the other. Not often do we have both a good defense and a good offense.

We've had good defenses in the past, with below average offense. I just think now we'll finally get the offense we've been waiting for, but our defense will be horrific.

Shanny's teams have - for the most part - always had bad defenses. He picks some odd ones for D coordinators.

Yeah...I hope Haslett succeeds but given his history and ours, along with the change to a 3-4, and Shanny's merry go round of DCs in Denver...... It's really asking a lot from a guy who isn't too highly regarded by Ram or Steeler fans. I don't think he was Shanny's first choice.

Then again maybe that's a good thing. Doesn't look like it yet lol

It depends what your definition of suck is.

If it's all in the results, then your in for a LONG year. I'd hope for improvement on last year, which is all you can ask; but not by much. Maybe 1 or 2 wins. 3 and a .500 season if we're real lucky and get some very favorable bounces of the ball.

If it's continued development of the personnel within those results, then no, in the main, we won't suck. We'll fight our tail off, and as last year be in games until the last gun. The D should take a major step forward. Year two of the 34, with improved personnel to better fit the scheme. I think this could be a fun year on the defensive side of the ball as we grow more accustomed to the scheme, with lot's of turnovers. The offensive side of the ball not so much. Whilst upgraded with some very intriguing, quality addition's, your gona' have to suffer through another year of a very average QB leading proceedings. Be it what's left over from last year, VY, another broken down vet. whomever; I can't see much production from the main man on the team; and ergo the offense as a whole. But it's another year of experience in the OC's system. Another year of team blending. It can only help for when we do finally add that one major piece in next years draft. (Fingers crossed.).

All in stages guys. What we have to suffer through results wise now, will reap it's rewards in future years.

Hail.

If we sign a big batch of mediocre free agents, we can get back to 8-8 this season.

"If"? I think you mean "when".

We all know how this script plays out - we are experts at slapping just enough bandaids to get to .500.

I'm not sure we sucked last year. We weren't good, but we didn't suck.

Zorn's 2nd year? Spurrier's 2nd year? That was a steaming cup of suck.

As for this year, I predict we will win some games and lose some games

I dont think we will improve on last years 6-10 record. But I think we will be a younger and hungrier team. Lets face it we are rebuilding and that takes time. The biggest concern is obviously the QB situation. But the OL is no better than last year and may be worse if Brown leaves.

The QB situation will be addressed in FA. A veteran stopgap will be signed. Possibly an interior OL player and a CB.

I think it all adds up to another 6-10 record but we will be a younger and improving team.

If this was a normal year, anybody who did not expect at least a 7-9 season pretty much doesn't know football unless we went out and signed a boatload of high tier FAs. Of course, that means we could be a 5 win team or a 9 win team (worse than 5 would mean something like an unexpected injury while better than 9 would mean that Beck is the second coming of Warner). Given the weirdness of the season, almost anything could happen. Most likely, teams will be within a game of what they were last season.

this year is about watching our team grow, the youngins getting some playing time. we're a rebuilding team. if I see glimpses of greatness in young players we've drafted, or to a lesser extent, signed, I'll be happy. and since when was 30 old for a QB? early 30s are a QB's prime

Archived