Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Landscape for the NBA

Gator Bait

Has anyone been following the ongoing negotiations between the NBA and the player’s union? The NBA is pushing for a hard cap, which is pretty much a reality at this point. In their latest proposal they set forth a plan that would reduce the cap in each of the next three years; at the end of those three years, the hard cap would be in full effect. In their proposal they have a star player rule (similar to the NFL franchise player) in which one player on a team would be designated a star and would receive longer contracts with more guaranteed money and it would be harder for that player to leave their team. The new CBA would also have an “Allan Houston rule” in which the team would have one opportunity to buy our one of their players at their current guaranteed salary and have their cap number wiped off the books. Although the proposal has not been agreed upon yet, I’ve decided to take a look into the future of what may occur with a CBA similar to this one. Players being bought out under the Allan Houston rule:

No Brainer Big money men:

Brandon Roy

Unfortunately Roy will never again be the player he once was and at this point is nothing better than a good 6th man who is making franchise player money. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them buy him out and then re-sign him at a more reasonable rate (although it is possible the league could implement a rule that prevents a team from resigning their bought out player)

Gilbert Arenas

See Brandon Roy, subtract good 6th man, and add pain in the ass

Rashard Lewis

Rashard is a fish out of water on a rebuilding wizards squad. Although the team does need a mix of veterans to go with their young stars of the future; they do not need the veterans who make over 20 million dollars a year chewing up cap space. Dumping rashard’s salary off the books would give the Wizards the cap space and flexibility in the future to make a move like outbidding Boston for Jeff Green (who is a good young player that fills a position of need at the SF)

Not Bank Breakers, but they gotta go:

Brenden Haywood

Brenden didn’t take long to prove how stupid Dallas was to give him that large 60 million dollar contract. Shedding Bwood off the books frees up money for Dallas to resign Tyson Chandler, who they like better than wood…and gives them a bit more flexibility moving into the future.

Pistons Pick ‘em

Joe Dumars did his best impression of Idiot GM when he used all their cap space to bring in Ben “never seen a shot I didn’t like” Gordon and that cancer patient PF who likes to chuck threes. They also have a disgruntled Rip Hamilton on the books for another two years at a staggering 25 million dollars. I’d bet on Rip being gone, but any one of these guys would be a great candidate for the Allan Houston rule!

Mehmet Okur

An over paid injury prone center is never the right recipe for a reloading team with young talent and two high draft picks. The Jazz will be thrilled to get Okur off their books.

Maggette/Salmons

I really don’t know what the Bucks were thinking when they signed the same guy twice in the same offseason…he just had a different name. They are both 31 and both making Scotty Pippen super sidekick money, so getting rid of either of them would be a good mulligan for the Bucks. I’d probably get rid of Maggette being that he is making a couple million a year more than Salmons and his defense is much poorer than Salmons.

Jose Calderon

Overpaid, often injured, veteran PG on a terrible team without much promise….doesn’t make sense to me either. Mr. Calderon is outa there!

Desagana Diop

You know the league is hurting when Brenden Haywood is making Rondo money and Diop is making Louis Scola money…what is wrong with this picture? Michael Jordon?...oh yeah…it all makes sense now.

It is possible, hear me out

Chris Bosh

I think most would agree that Chris Bosh has been very disappointing for the Heat this year. Not only is he soft and can't defend the post, but he cripples the Heat cap wise in the future with his near max contract. The Heat would be better suited wiping the Bosh mistake off their books and entering the DHoward sweepstakes in 2012. Even if you don't get Dwight Howard, there is still Chris Paul out there and they'd even be much better off using that money to surround LeBron and Dwade with Role players that will help them win a championship. I understand the Heat are playing well now in the playoffs, but I just can't see them winning a championship without some better post defenders and role players. LeBron or Wade are bound to either run out of steam or get injuries in a long playoff season and leave the Heat fully exposed in the middle.

Loul Deng

Yes, Deng has had a really good year and Yes, the Bulls have excellent chemistry and are in the mix for the NBA championship BUT wiping out 3 years and 40 million dollars off their books for their 3rd option will definitely make the Bulls even more dangerous in the future. Without Deng on the books, the Bulls set themselves up nicely for the Dwight Howards sweepstakes in 2012 and if they don’t get Howards, they can go to plan B (like they did this year after not getting LeBron or Dwade) and get several quality role players to surround Rose/Boozer/Noah. Another thought on the Bulls is that they will likely have to have ample cap space in 2013 to extend Rose under a hard cap.

Rudy Gay

The Grizzlies have proven they don’t need Rudy Gay to be a legit team in the West. With Rudy off the books, they have plenty of cash to re-sign Gasol and pick up several other high quality role players to surround an already very good team.

Iggy or Elton

My first thought here would be to drop Iguodala being that he plays the same position as Evan Turner and they have obviously invested in Turner for the future. Brand had a good rebound year this year and fills a position of need, but it still doesn’t justify the 2 years and 35 million dollars left on his contract. If I’m philly’s gm, I keep Iggy , who is an excellent perimeter defense and hope my coach is smart enough to incorporate both of them into the system (there are two wings on the basketball court at the same time) You may wonder why one of these guys isn't in the no brainer list...reason being both of these players were instrumental in the 76ers playoff birth this year and I doubt they make the post season if either one of these guys was subtracted from the team. Teams like the 76ers and Abe Pollin Wizards seem to be content making the playoffs each year even if they know their teams will never win a championship with the current core group of players on the roster.

Barron Davis

Cavs get their cake and eat it too! They get the lottery pick from LA for taking Davis’ contract and get to dump him the very next year. The only reason he isn’t in the no brainer list is because Cleveland may just keep him because they can’t get anyone to town to take his place. Of course if they win the lottery and draft Kyrie Irving….Barron is much less likely to be slummin’ in Cleveland in 2011!

no way it would happen

Kobe Bryant

I seriously doubt the Lakers would do this...but they will have zero cap flexibility to improve their team in the future and are looking like their time in the spotlight is over in this era. I think a Trade with Orlando for Dwight Howard is far more likely. LA could trade Gasol and Bynum to Orlando for Howard, Nelson, and Turk. Magic would succeed in the trade by actually getting talent back for Dwight Howard (who will be leaving anyway) and get rid of Turk's contract and LA will benefit by upgrading a PG and getting the best center in the league to pair with Kobe for the next 4-5 years (would be like Kobe/Shaq part two....with the center as the young guy this time) ....you know...these type trades are very far fetched and very NBA 2K like....but I think this one actually makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Kevin Garnett

KG only has one year left on his contract and Boston wouldn't be able to put that money to use anyway being that they will be so far over the cap.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

As a huge Wizards fan I have mixed feelings about this new CBA idea (especially the Allan Houston rule)

on the negative side I feel this rule acts as a "bail out" for NBA teams who were fiscally irresponsible and made terrible decisions for the future of their franchises (Heat/Bosh, Pistons...you name it). If this new rule doesn't come about, the Heat will pretty much be stuck with this roster for the next 3 years unless they trade one of their big three. They will not have any wiggle room to add new players with a hard cap and traded away a bunch of their future picks in the sign and trades with the Heat and the Raptors.

On the positive side, it gives the Wizards the opportunity to pick up some of these players that will be released from their current teams. I definitely wouldn't mind using Rashard money to bid on guys like Jeff Green and Marc Gasol, who are restricted free agents. We could also try and sign guys like Deng, Salmons, Iguodala, and Brand at discounted rates. All of these players would bring a veteran presence to our team and would fill positions of need.

The NBA needs a hardcap. I think the league would be more exciting under a NFL like structure. More small market teams will have a chance to compete, and I also say drop the cap number down to something like 45 million or something really low to force players to move around.

Why just one player? What is the down side of letting any team buy out a contract entirely if they don't wish to resign the player in any capacity? It's incredibly annoying to literally be stuck with a player that doesn't fit and the league isn't doing itself any favors by forcing teams to wait 4 years to rebuild. Plus in the case of injuries leading to drop offs in production the there is no point in penalizing teams in terms of TIME. Just let them buy out and move on. It's a built in penalty as owners are not going to be happy shelling out 50-100 million every time their GM screws up.

Having said that this will encourage horrible player behavior when they want to leave their team. The team can buy them out (they get their money) and then they can resign somewhere else they'd rather be. That's bad and puts coaches, GMs, and even owners in the back seat. They need a better rule set on player behavior that result in forfeiture of partial or entire contracts.

I'll take him...you want cruchy or puffs?

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 07:14 PM ----------

The NBA needs a hardcap. I think the league would be more exciting under a NFL like structure. More small market teams will have a chance to compete, and I also say drop the cap number down to something like 45 million or something really low to force players to move around.

I agree that it will make the smaller markets more competitive and you are on point witht the salary going down to around the 45 million range..maybe a little bit higher; but the NBA also wants to limit player movement ( or should I say star player movement) which is why they will go with a franchise tag to prevent Shaq/Dhoward from leaving Orlando....or even John Wall from leaving Washington in a few years.

Why just one player? What is the down side of letting any team buy out a contract entirely if they don't wish to resign the player in any capacity? It's incredibly annoying to literally be stuck with a player that doesn't fit and the league isn't doing itself any favors by forcing teams to wait 4 years to rebuild.

Thats an easy one to answer...if their was no limit to the Allan Houston rule (which I believe was your question) teams like LA, NY, and Boston would throw big money at everyone and just buy them out if it didn't work out (because they wouldn't have to worry about cap ramifications) The league would be even more one sided than it is today.

Plus in the case of injuries leading to drop offs in production the there is no point in penalizing teams in terms of TIME. Just let them buy out and move on. It's a built in penalty as owners are not going to be happy shelling out 50-100 million every time their GM screws up.

as far as injuries are concerned...a difference in this CBA (like the NFL) will have only partially guaranteed contracts. (which I like...I think a tiered structure would work well...where maybe the 1st year is 100% guaranteed, 2nd year 75% guarantees, 3rd year 50% guaranteed and so on and so forth) I don't like the idea of being able to bail out a GM (as you put it) every time he pulls an Isiah Thomas and cripples his franchise for the next 5 years....that is just fun to watch happen to teams like the knicks....and like I said above, if there were no guaranteed contracts, the larger markets with big money would dominate the league even more so than they currently do. Teams like Toronto or Sacramento aren't going to have the money to fix their mistakes every time they make them....but you better believe LA, NY, Boston, Dallas, Miami...and so on will.

Having said that this will encourage horrible player behavior when they want to leave their team

good point...although half the time they do that anyway

That's bad and puts coaches, GMs, and even owners in the back seat. They need a better rule set on player behavior that result in forfeiture of partial or entire contracts.

definitely agree with that. Would have made it a whole lot easier for the Wizards to get rid of Gilbert

Make an Allen Houston rule but something like you can use it one time every 5 years.

that is a really good idea. And to go along with what destino said...that would only punish your team for a bad GM move for a few years...you can then fire him and have the new GM come in with a clean slate and not have to clean up another guy's mess!

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

Cancer patient.... not cool.

unfortunately I can't claim that as my original work...that was borrowed from KG...and I thought it was funny as hell. Terrible...but funny as hell. ranks right up there with Noah calling KG mean and ugly (which I actually like a bit more than cancer patient)

Other rules: Remove the lottery. Or make it where worst 3 teams are only eligible for the top spot. and then those teams who dont make the playoffs, the more wins you have the better chance you have to get a pick outside of the top 3..I think that would force teams to win at the end of the year and not tank

Other rules: Remove the lottery. Or make it where worst 3 teams are only eligible for the top spot. and then those teams who dont make the playoffs, the more wins you have the better chance you have to get a pick outside of the top 3..I think that would force teams to win at the end of the year and not tank

Bill Simmons had a great idea in his "book of basketball" that would end the season 6 games early with the top 6 teams from each conference advancing to the playoffs. The remaining 7 teams would play a 6 game round robin 'mini tournament' with the top two teams advancing to the 7 and 8 seeds in the playoffs.

The idea isn't perfect, but it was an interesting concept.

If you haven't read the Book of Basketball yet, it is a must read for any sports fan. You don't even have to be a die hard basketball fan to enjoy this book....Simmons is hilarious...and I'm convinced he would do a better job running an NBA franchise than half the league's teams currently do.

As far as the lottery goes....I hate the fact that it is conducted behind closed doors....so crooked.

thanks gator. I was looking for sports books to read.

best thing I've ever read! And it is long as ****...so it will keep you occupied for a while. Make sure and get the paperback rather than the hard back....paperback has new added content...more footnotes....like the book needed anymore!

They should do it like the NFL. Worst team always gets the #1 pick. So that way, we won't see any fixes or a team that doesn't deserve the #1 pick.

Also I like the ideal of the hard cap. This will make the playing field level. It's not perfect, but it's a start. Players have to earn their pay, instead of getting Erik Dampier 5 year /55 million dollar deals or Adonyle Foyle's 4 year/40+ million dollar deals and not do anything.

Thats an easy one to answer...if their was no limit to the Allan Houston rule (which I believe was your question) teams like LA, NY, and Boston would throw big money at everyone and just buy them out if it didn't work out (because they wouldn't have to worry about cap ramifications) The league would be even more one sided than it is today.

Simple fix. 5million in cap penalty per player you buy out (5million 1 year, 10 million 2 years, 15 million for three years etc). It would allow teams to not suffer through ridiculous contracts yet at the same time not allow teams to hit the reset button every year. Allow me to be clear, punishing teams for large contracts that don't work out for 5 years (especially when injury is the cause) is bad for basketball. As for the league being one sided that's more easily solved: by allowing teams addition cap room for stars they drafted or have had for more then 3 years. 5 mil per year larger should do the trick.

---------- Post added May-13th-2011 at 02:08 AM ----------

Crunchy please, I had enough of Gasol's powerpuff girl performance.

I am having fun with Laker's blaming their front line for their problems. Gasol and Bynum are why the Lakers won two championships recently. Without that front line mismatch mummified Kobe wouldn't be winning ****. Gasol is clearly the better of the two bigs today. I'm not sure what happened on that team but it was clear to me watching the games that the problem wasn't athleticism or age... that team looked like a group of guys that couldn't stand eachother in the post season. Bynum eluded to a trust issue and watching on the court his comments just confirmed the obvious.

Howard would be a damn fool to go there. No Phil and a clearly declining Kobe is not going to bring championships. He should be looking for a way to worm his way onto the Thunder, Knicks, Heat, or Bulls if he wants to win a lot. Doubt that is possible with the new CBA though.

Simple fix. 5million in cap penalty per player you buy out (5million 1 year, 10 million 2 years, 15 million for three years etc). It would allow teams to not suffer through ridiculous contracts yet at the same time not allow teams to hit the reset button every year. Allow me to be clear, punishing teams for large contracts that don't work out for 5 years (especially when injury is the cause) is bad for basketball. As for the league being one sided that's more easily solved: by allowing teams addition cap room for stars they drafted or have had for more then 3 years. 5 mil per year larger should do the trick.

I disagree completely....Injuries are a part of the game...everyone has to deal with it. I don't think you are taking into account how lopsided profits are amongst the NBA teams....One of the larger market teams I mentioned can afford to pay off a guy with 4 years 80 million left on his contract because he got a knee injury, turn around and sign another guy for 5 years 100 million......a team like Toronto or Phoenix can't afford to do that. It creates an uneven playing field (like the current soft cap/luxury tax system) that's why we have the same teams in the finals year after year with little surprise.

As far as raising the cap...that is the completely opposite of what should happen. Salaries are out of control in the NBA compared to other sports when you take player salaries-profit ratios. I think the owners have the right idea here.....cap goes down, salaries go down, add in the star tag, and you'll see players stay with their teams longer. I don't know the complete ins and outs of it...but I'm thinking their will also be stipulation to where you can keep one "star" no matter what it takes...w/ the star tag.

I am having fun with Laker's blaming their front line for their problems. Gasol and Bynum are why the Lakers won two championships recently. Without that front line mismatch mummified Kobe wouldn't be winning ****. Gasol is clearly the better of the two bigs today. I'm not sure what happened on that team but it was clear to me watching the games that the problem wasn't athleticism or age... that team looked like a group of guys that couldn't stand eachother in the post season. Bynum eluded to a trust issue and watching on the court his comments just confirmed the obvious.

Oh, I thank Gasol for the 2 championships for sure. It's just time for him to GTFO. I've never seen any champion Laker not bring it in the playoffs. He was fumbling key passes, making brain dead fouls in crunch time, taking jump shot after jump shot, falling down, rarely fighting for post position . . . totally disinterested, no tenacity, no fire. Soft as * * * *.

He's always been soft but a healthy Kobe mitigated it. This year, Kobe came in to the season fresh off of knee surgery. Gasol needed to step up and be a go to scorer and he shrank from that responsibility. I can't tolerate that.

Bynum is definitely not the one to blame. He came to play. He's done everything that the Lakers have asked of him in terms of development, except for staying healthy. I love that guy. Centers don't get into their prime until around 27, and Bynum's only 23. I would give most of the post touches to him over Gasol now and further his development. Kobe needs to understand that and it's no sure thing that he does.

Anyway, it sounds like your a Kobe hater so I won't bother discussing him anymore. ;)

Oh, I thank Gasol for the 2 championships for sure. It's just time for him to GTFO. I've never seen any champion Laker not bring it in the playoffs. He was fumbling key passes, making brain dead fouls in crunch time, taking jump shot after jump shot, falling down, rarely fighting for post position . . . totally disinterested, no tenacity, no fire. Soft as * * * *.

He's always been soft but a healthy Kobe mitigated it. This year, Kobe came in to the season fresh off of knee surgery. Gasol needed to step up and be a go to scorer and he shrank from that responsibility. I can't tolerate that.

Bynum is definitely not the one to blame. He came to play. He's done everything that the Lakers have asked of him in terms of development, except for staying healthy. I love that guy. Centers don't get into their prime until around 27, and Bynum's only 23. I would give most of the post touches to him over Gasol now and further his development. Kobe needs to understand that and it's no sure thing that he does.

Anyway, it sounds like your a Kobe hater so I won't bother discussing him anymore. ;)

Not a Kobe fan or hater. I just realize that he is 32 and he's an old 32. He's a 14 year vet and let me put that in perspective:

- 1 less than Kevin Garnett

- Same as Ray Allen

- Same as Derrick Fisher

- Same as Marcus Camby

- 1 more than Tim Duncan

- 2 more than Paul Pierce.

- 3 more than Baron Davis

I could go on but you get the point. His age number doesn't show it but like Charles Barkley said the years in the NBA are like dog years. Connecticut played 41 games this last college season including the tournament. NBA teams play twice that if they don't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying he's done but I am saying he's closer to done than his prime by a wide margin.

---------- Post added May-13th-2011 at 04:06 AM ----------

I disagree completely....Injuries are a part of the game...everyone has to deal with it.

Agreed but other sports don't have entirely guaranteed contracts and 5 man rosters. A large contract followed by a knee injury in the NBA is a total disaster and half a decade is too long to have to wait to be able to seriously attempt at a rebuild. It doesn't improve the game.

I don't think you are taking into account how lopsided profits are amongst the NBA teams....One of the larger market teams I mentioned can afford to pay off a guy with 4 years 80 million left on his contract because he got a knee injury, turn around and sign another guy for 5 years 100 million......a team like Toronto or Phoenix can't afford to do that. It creates an uneven playing field (like the current soft cap/luxury tax system) that's why we have the same teams in the finals year after year with little surprise.
I'm not sure I agree with you. We have the same teams in the finals because players WANT to play for certain teams. Notice when the stars were looking to to join forces they weren't thinking "Clippers!" as a landing spot. They weren't thinking Nets either and they have a dump trunk full of money. Money plays a large role for sure but the problem with the NBA is that stars want to play in Boston, LA, NY, and now Miami.

All in all however I'll concede on this point. I just don't like a half decade time frame for fans/teams for a GM mistake.

As far as raising the cap...that is the completely opposite of what should happen. Salaries are out of control in the NBA compared to other sports when you take player salaries-profit ratios. I think the owners have the right idea here.....cap goes down, salaries go down, add in the star tag, and you'll see players stay with their teams longer. I don't know the complete ins and outs of it...but I'm thinking their will also be stipulation to where you can keep one "star" no matter what it takes...w/ the star tag.
The only problem is that such a deal would be flat out offensive to players and unlike other sports NBA stars would me massive amount of money if they take a year or two in the Euro leagues for the same reason David Beckham made a fortune coming to play soccer here. They'd massively expand their sponsorship value and the leagues aren't exactly broke. The NBA is not the NFL.

You're asking the players to

- Take a pay cut.

- Lose guaranteed contracts

- Be held hostage by their teams

All in one renegotiation? Two words for you: Fat. Chance.

Agreed but other sports don't have entirely guaranteed contracts and 5 man rosters. A large contract followed by a knee injury in the NBA is a total disaster and half a decade is too long to have to wait to be able to seriously attempt at a rebuild. It doesn't improve the game.

How many teams can you think of (NBA) in the past 10 years that have been decimated because of an injury to a player? The Wizards and Rockets are the only two teams that come to mind with me....and I'll toss out the Rockets because they've managed to stay competitive even with their two best players (Tmac and Yao) hitting the injury bug at the same time. More teams screw themselves over by giving ridiculous contracts to players that don't pan out....Like the Knicks have been doing for the past 10 years and like Detroit did in 2009.

But...at the end of the day...neither one of us can really be right or wrong on this issue...it is our personally beliefs and philosophy. I'm a strong proponent of accountability and not bailing teams or companies (government bail outs) who have acted irresponsibly.

I'm not sure I agree with you. We have the same teams in the finals because players WANT to play for certain teams. Notice when the stars were looking to to join forces they weren't thinking "Clippers!" as a landing spot. They weren't thinking Nets either and they have a dump trunk full of money. Money plays a large role for sure but the problem with the NBA is that stars want to play in Boston, LA, NY, and now Miami.

I don't disagree with what you've said...but at the same time you need to look at the payrolls of these teams you mention...teams like the Lakers are more than willing to go deep into luxury tax threshold in order to put a championship contender on the court every year. You pretty much made my point when you said that players want to play for the LA Lakers...not the CLIPPERS.....it isn't about the location 100% (no doubt that part of the reason LeBron and co. chose Miami is because of location/willingness to put out money) but the Lakers and the clippers play in the same city, same building...same everything....difference being the Clippers owner is cheap and isn't willing to pay his players. Bring a team like Toronto or Sacramento into the picture and they can't afford to have the 92 million dollar roster the Lakers have. I'm not disagreeing with your statement here...but I don't think you hit the full scope...and you didn't even address the part about the money issue. Three out of the Four teams you listed have been deep into luxury tax territory within the last five years; they have bankrolled teams that Minnesota and Milwaukee could never afford.

The only problem is that such a deal would be flat out offensive to players and unlike other sports NBA stars would me massive amount of money if they take a year or two in the Euro leagues for the same reason David Beckham made a fortune coming to play soccer here. They'd massively expand their sponsorship value and the leagues aren't exactly broke. The NBA is not the NFL.

This is a very good point. NBA stars can definitely go over to Europe and make a lot of money...just look at Josh Childress...and he isn't even a star...he was making way more money in Europe that he would not have been making in the current player friendly CBA of the NBA. You are definitely going to lose some players with the new CBA...I can definitely see Kobe finishing out his career in Europe...making between 30-40 million a year for a couple years once his NBA career is about over. If LeBron ever wins an NBA championship...he will definitely make the dash to Europe for the money.

You're asking the players to

- Take a pay cut.

- Lose guaranteed contracts

- Be held hostage by their teams

All in one renegotiation? Two words for you: Fat. Chance.

oh they will...this isn't even a debate....do some research on it....salary cuts and non guaranteed contracts are already a reality....it is just a matter of negotiating how far salaries drop and how much of the guaranteed money goes away. It is looking like it will happen in phases....with salary cuts spread out over the course of a few years...same goes for the contract guarantees.

that was borrowed from KG...and I thought it was funny as hell.

Not once have I heard it proven KG even said that. Villanueva is a bit of a headcase and seems to like to make stuff up/over dramatize situations.

Archived