Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Lehrer, of the PBS NewsHour, is stepping down

thebluefood

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/jim-lehrer-to-step-down-from-daily-broadcast-at-pbs-newshour/2011/05/12/AFS5VwyG_story.html?tid=sm_facebook

And with that ends the greatest era of television news.

I hope the quality of the show remains at a high level. I'll miss seeing Lehrer. He is a fine journalist.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

No respect for one of the greatest newsmen in history, ES?

Got to interview him once. He is not only a great journalist, but a wonderful human being. One of the best if not THE best in the business. You could see them phasing him out and getting ready for his departure. I wish all serious journalists would approach the news as he does and did.

He is what reporting and analysis should be about.

I heard this in an interview with him recently. Lehrer's guidelines for the practice of journalism:

"Do nothing I cannot defend."

"Cover, write and present every story with the care I would want if the story were about me."

"Assume there is at least one other side or version to every story."

"Assume the viewer is as smart and caring and good a person as I am."

"Assume the same about all people on whom I report."

"Assume personal lives are a private matter until a legitimate turn in the story absolutely mandates otherwise."

"Carefully separate opinion and analysis from straight news stories, and clear label everything."

"Do not use anonymous sources or blind quotes except on rare and monumental occasions. No one should ever be allowed to attack another anonymously."

"And finally, I am not in the entertainment business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-eisele/jim-lehrer-journalism-is_b_145811.html

Tough to replace the real legends. Though I think David Gregory has done a very commendable job, following in the footsteps of Tim Russert. I hope for all of our sakes that PBS will be so fortunate.

Got to interview him once. He is not only a great journalist, but a wonderful human being. One of the best if not THE best in the business. You could see them phasing him out and getting ready for his departure. I wish all serious journalists would approach the news as he does and did.

He is what reporting and analysis should be about.

I heard this in an interview with him recently. Lehrer's guidelines for the practice of journalism:

"Do nothing I cannot defend."

"Cover, write and present every story with the care I would want if the story were about me."

"Assume there is at least one other side or version to every story."

"Assume the viewer is as smart and caring and good a person as I am."

"Assume the same about all people on whom I report."

"Assume personal lives are a private matter until a legitimate turn in the story absolutely mandates otherwise."

"Carefully separate opinion and analysis from straight news stories, and clear label everything."

"Do not use anonymous sources or blind quotes except on rare and monumental occasions. No one should ever be allowed to attack another anonymously."

"And finally, I am not in the entertainment business."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-eisele/jim-lehrer-journalism-is_b_145811.html

I saw that episode live, and from that moment on, it has been my personal model for reporting a story. Jim Lehrer and Robert MacNeil set a standard that many have chosen to neglect.

Archived