Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Report: Ohio State faces more scrutiny

ACW

the Vest is as dirty as they come.....O$U runs a dirty program was the worst kept secret in america...everyday is something new...rthe vest needs to step down and to be honest the school needs to shut this program down and get control of it as things get worse and worse everyday....soon you will find out the AD and school pres were in on this as well...total lack on institutional control...and yes Im a Michigan grad ...but regardless things are way out of control in columbus and St. Tressel is the main culprit

But of course it's BOISE with the lack of institutional control :rolleyes:

This statement, of course, completely ignores the full context of both Ohio State's situation and Boise's.

Boise got in trouble after submitting a self-report of various athletic problems that they finalized in 2009 (after a 5 year internal review), before going back last fall and realizing that they also had a female tennis player living in athletic housing, practicing, and even competing for the university when she wasn't even enrolled in classes yet. Their football violations were considered "minor" infractions, which basically mean nothing to the NCAA, but the tennis incident is what got them in really hot water.

Meanwhile, the Ohio State investigation essentially just got started, and a lot of people believe that OSU will end up either firing Tressel or forcing him to resign.

I'm not a big fan of the NCAA by any means, but come on. ACW always finds ways to start threads like this without having a goddamn clue of what he's talking about.

ACW has already admitted his hypocrisy when it comes to criticism of the NCAA.

I don't really see what that has to do with this thread. It's not like he's making up the problems at THE Ohio State University. They've been naughty.

I don't really see what that has to do with this thread. It's not like he's making up the problems at THE Ohio State University. They've been naughty.

Of course they have, and so has Boise.

Had the violations that happened at Boise happened at a big school such as OSU, ACW would be throwing a fit about it and he admitted as much.

I was responding to Spartacus' post.

Been thinking for decades that the rampant cheating in NCAA athletics is going to continue, and become even worse, as long as the worst that can happen is that the NCAA will interview a few people (who will lie their Phillies off), and maybe, maybe, five years later, they'll announce that they're officially altering your school's statistics book.

In short, the only thing that's gonna stop these kinds of things will be a sriminal investigation, by real cops, with real authority.

Only problem with that is, paying a football player isn't illegal. The cops (even if they wanted to) don't have the authority to prosecute people for it, any more than they have the authority to investigate whether Alstott really made that two point conversion.

Although I do have a thought. Maybe if Obama really wanted to stick the government's nose into college athletics, then what would be needed would be to prosecute Al Capone for income tax evasion.

This statement, of course, completely ignores the full context of both Ohio State's situation and Boise's.

Boise got in trouble after submitting a self-report of various athletic problems that they finalized in 2009 (after a 5 year internal review), before going back last fall and realizing that they also had a female tennis player living in athletic housing, practicing, and even competing for the university when she wasn't even enrolled in classes yet. Their football violations were considered "minor" infractions, which basically mean nothing to the NCAA, but the tennis incident is what got them in really hot water.

Meanwhile, the Ohio State investigation essentially just got started, and a lot of people believe that OSU will end up either firing Tressel or forcing him to resign.

I'm not a big fan of the NCAA by any means, but come on. ACW always finds ways to start threads like this without having a goddamn clue of what he's talking about.

You gotta admit that ACW has a point. Boise State gets punished for what amounts to a technicality in a sport just one step up from inter-murals.

Ohio State, big time football program, investigation's been going on for some time now, no punishment yet. UCONN finally gets busted for a more serious basketball recruiting violation, they still compete and win the last NCAA championship, and their coach only has to sit out some games at the beginning of next season, when nobody cares who's playing.

Which is? And why they should get rid of it is?

In this information age trying to enforce these rules is like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom. Plus there's nothing morally wrong with allowing someone to give Terrelle Pryor a tattoo or Peter Warrick free shoes or whatever.

In this information age trying to enforce these rules is like trying to hold back the ocean with a broom. Plus there's nothing morally wrong with allowing someone to give Terrelle Pryor a tattoo or Peter Warrick free shoes or whatever.

What's the cutoff? A tattoo is OK, shoes are OK, how about a car?

What's the cutoff? A tattoo is OK, shoes are OK, how about a car?
Sure. Why not?

Or a house? $1,000 cash? $100,000?

Yeah, I could see an argument that there ought to be exceptions for petty things.

I remember I was at OU, when they revealed that OU had been caught in something like 29 violations of NCAA rules. But the violations were things like somebody took a recruit out for a pizza, or they gave him a t-shirt, or one guy allowed him to make a long distance phone call (to his parents) on a University phone.

But at least lately, we're hearing about free houses. People demanding five-figure cash. I recently saw at least claims (which I never saw substantiated) of athletes being given unmarked ATM cards, so they could take cash out of bank accounts that boosters would put money into.

I thought the information age made things *easier* to find out. Like one of the idiot UNC football players bragging online about that party in Miami he went to.

You gotta admit that ACW has a point. Boise State gets punished for what amounts to a technicality in a sport just one step up from inter-murals.

Ohio State, big time football program, investigation's been going on for some time now, no punishment yet. UCONN finally gets busted for a more serious basketball recruiting violation, they still compete and win the last NCAA championship, and their coach only has to sit out some games at the beginning of next season, when nobody cares who's playing.

Boise State had minor infractions in their report that the NCAA didn't have too much trouble with. A Spartacus87 pointed out earlier was that what got Boise State in really hot water was that they had a player on their tennis team that wasn't even enrolled and taking classes while living in athletic housing, practicing, and competing. That's the same as Pryor living, practicing, and playing games before taking a single class at the university. BIG DIFFERENCE...but those technicalities are overlooked when one has an ax to grind with the NCAA.

Again, Boise's and Ohio State's situations are not comparable.

Boise is already at the end of their process. They have a final hearing sometime in June, but they've already put themselves on self-probation, limited some scholarships, and done a lot of internal changes, which has sped up the hearing process for the NCAA (Boise has already compiled a 5 year history of their own athletic violations in a report). Regardless if women's tennis is "a step above intramurals," it's still an NCAA D1 sport, and it's still pretty serious when you have an athlete playing for your team while they're not even a registered student. That wasn't a "technicality," the women's tennis coaches both lost their jobs over it. The story only got headlines in the first place because it was Boise State involved, but Boise already gave themselves up and it's not that big of a deal.

Ohio State meanwhile, has been resistant to open up to the NCAA, the investigation into their football program has not been going on that long, and there are still major details coming out just within the last few weeks:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/the-lost-tressel-emails-anatomy-of-a-coverup-29681

Along with this recent car story.

Tressel will lose his job over this. The Ohio State athletic department (particularly the football office) will probably be gutted. And the NCAA will end up coming down on Ohio State pretty hard.

Ohio State will come out far worse than Boise for this. But ACW's original intent was to whine about Boise's treatment compared to Ohio State's, and extend that into his usual "B©$....Ohio $tate is bad...Dan Wetzel's book told me it's the Cartel..." business, even though that has nothing to do with this.

I thought the information age made things *easier* to find out. Like one of the idiot UNC football players bragging online about that party in Miami he went to.

Posting something online is very different from passing cash. Even an unnamed ATM card is safer than that. You would have to pull tape from ATM security but then you would need a lead on a player using such a card since it isn't in their name. They could preload a visa card with $1,000 all they wanted and give to a player, who if caught with it, could have a fall back story of how a family member gave it to him as a present for birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc...

Once you post something online it is forever online, and available. Page caching, FOIA, and general stupidness.

Or a house? $1,000 cash? $100,000?

Yeah, I could see an argument that there ought to be exceptions for petty things.

I remember I was at OU, when they revealed that OU had been caught in something like 29 violations of NCAA rules. But the violations were things like somebody took a recruit out for a pizza, or they gave him a t-shirt, or one guy allowed him to make a long distance phone call (to his parents) on a University phone.

But at least lately, we're hearing about free houses. People demanding five-figure cash. I recently saw at least claims (which I never saw substantiated) of athletes being given unmarked ATM cards, so they could take cash out of bank accounts that boosters would put money into.

How about letting the market determine the cutoff?

Boise State had minor infractions in their report that the NCAA didn't have too much trouble with. A Spartacus87 pointed out earlier was that what got Boise State in really hot water was that they had a player on their tennis team that wasn't even enrolled and taking classes while living in athletic housing, practicing, and competing. That's the same as Pryor living, practicing, and playing games before taking a single class at the university. BIG DIFFERENCE...but those technicalities are overlooked when one has an ax to grind with the NCAA.
Don't football players have workouts well before classes start?
Tressel will lose his job over this. The Ohio State athletic department (particularly the football office) will probably be gutted. And the NCAA will end up coming down on Ohio State pretty hard.

Ohio State will come out far worse than Boise for this. But ACW's original intent was to whine about Boise's treatment compared to Ohio State's, and extend that into his usual "B©$....Ohio $tate is bad...Dan Wetzel's book told me it's the Cartel..." business, even though that has nothing to do with this.

Hope you and Busch are right about that, if the stories about the Buckeyes is true.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 08:56 PM ----------

Posting something online is very different from passing cash. Even an unnamed ATM card is safer than that. You would have to pull tape from ATM security but then you would need a lead on a player using such a card since it isn't in their name. They could preload a visa card with $1,000 all they wanted and give to a player, who if caught with it, could have a fall back story of how a family member gave it to him as a present for birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc...

Once you post something online it is forever online, and available. Page caching, FOIA, and general stupidness.

Agreed about evidence. My point is just that I think more stuff tends to leak, like agents paying for UNC players to go to parties. So investigators from the press and the NCAA get more leads on where to look.

Archived