Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Police Brutality, or just doing his job? Video of a 15 year old girl getting DESTROYED by officer

Skins_Fan82

I know the police in England are notoriously soft, particularly by American standards, but it makes me laugh when I see something like this after reading in the British news that a Policeman who pushed a demonstrator in the middle of near-riot is being convicted of manslaughter when the guy falls to the ground innocuously and suffers a heart attack as a result.

My tuppence worth sides with the people who thinks it's outrageous. I'm of the opinion that anybody, in any job, should be accountable for the decisions they make and the actions and decisions need to stand up to scrutiny. If you're a police officer the scrutiny needs to be that bit higher because of the position of power you hold.

What exactly is wrong with walking up to her and putting her in handcuffs instead of trying to slam her head into the wall or pavement?

Theres nothing wrong with that, but with circumstances that unfolded the odds of successfully handcuffing her without some kind of confrontation happening probably aren't good. I mean she just got done wrestling her Mom and assulting a teacher, doubt she's going to give much respect to the authority. Which you can she doesn't by walking away.

If the cops can't handle the "edge" or "stress" of their job enough to make rational decisions in situations like this, they need to get another job.

There's a reason that despite not being a high-paying job, or a safe one, that it is one of the most highly screened jobs where in many instances you must pass psychological evaluations, background checks, and even a lie detector test.

Videos like these would make a great test for potential applicants. "Is this acceptable?"

The police department in Arizona has already said it is not acceptable based on the video, but they are trying to investigate to get a full picture. Don't know why others are saying it's OK.

I don't want to be the *******.... but that was a perfect form tackle, probably played college ball somewhere. vet min + incentives? If he can take out a 15 year old girl, he can take out Romo sits to pee and Eli no problem

haha

Romo sits to pee and Eli are girly men after all.

You know who you blame for this?

Mom and Dad.

Why? Because they obviously don't control their child.

A 15 year old is drunk at school and attacking people. Yet it's the COP who's wrong? A bit excessive on his end? Okay. Fine.

Here's the problem with kids these days: They get away with everything.

I agree he didn't need to do all of that. Believe me. But this wouldn't have happened at all if this girl was parented a bit better.

I don't necessarily disagree, but by that argument we would never hold the cops accountable since every criminal ultimately shouldn't have gotten to the point where they intersect with a police officer. Yes, there were probably a dozen or more people in this specific girl's life who should have assisted in her not meandering down this path. But, given that she did end up drunk and violent at school...the conduct of the police officer is up for discussion.

Personally, I'm still on the fence.

I don't want to be the *******.... but that was a perfect form tackle, probably played college ball somewhere. vet min + incentives? If he can take out a 15 year old girl, he can take out Romo sits to pee and Eli no problem

Eh, I haven't seen any film on him in coverage. He might be a liability...

If the cops can't handle the "edge" or "stress" of their job enough to make rational decisions in situations like this, they need to get another job.

There's a reason that despite not being a high-paying job, or a safe one, that it is one of the most highly screened jobs where in many instances you must pass psychological evaluations, background checks, and even a lie detector test.

Videos like these would make a great test for potential applicants. "Is this acceptable?"

The police department in Arizona has already said it is not acceptable based on the video, but they are trying to investigate to get a full picture. Don't know why others are saying it's OK.

I am trying to figure that out too. I suspect it is because they feel that criticizing the police officer somehow implies approval of the girl's behavior? :whoknows:

I am trying to figure that out too. I suspect it is because they feel that criticizing the police officer somehow implies approval of the girl's behavior? :whoknows:

Personally, I think girl got what she deserved. In fact, if it was some fat guy who rammed her, I wouldn't really care at all. But the fact it was a police officer bothers me. :(

What exactly is wrong with walking up to her and putting her in handcuffs instead of trying to slam her head into the wall or pavement?

I can't stress this enough. it's like people only saw what they wanted to see in the video. as the officer approached her, in no way did it seem like she was going to resist or attack him.

You saw how crazy she was when fighting, but the sight of the police seemed to sober her up quick. it's not like she was in a drunken rage when the officer approached her, cursing and resisting. Other than her slowly walking away, she didn't appear to pose any threat to the officer's safety at all.

It really DOES look like he could've just walked up to her and put cuffs on her.

Great post and I agree 100 percent.

Is there some details about this assault of a teacher that some people are highlighting as an important reason to take her out?

Assault could mean a lot of things, including pushing someone, or just poking them. (I remember people getting in big trouble or charged with assault for doing both while I was in school.)

When I first saw this video, I thought it was some outside wrestling match, lol.

By the way I remember this one school I was at in 5th grade, we had kids biting each other and hitting each other with baseball bats and struggling with teachers at times...don't recall any getting slammed into a wall headfirst by a police officer.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Officer is investigating an assault, asks her to stop fleeing scene, she doesn't listen.

Maybe she could use this situation as a time to re-evaluate her existence rather than blaming the police for being mean.

right on the money.

I know the police in England are notoriously soft, particularly by American standards, but it makes me laugh when I see something like this after reading in the British news that a Policeman who pushed a demonstrator in the middle of near-riot is being convicted of manslaughter when the guy falls to the ground innocuously and suffers a heart attack as a result.

My tuppence worth sides with the people who thinks it's outrageous. I'm of the opinion that anybody, in any job, should be accountable for the decisions they make and the actions and decisions need to stand up to scrutiny. If you're a police officer the scrutiny needs to be that bit higher because of the position of power you hold.

agreed. Its remarkable how people create scenarios to justify it - e.g. could have had a gun. Well, in which case evrey cop in every situation can wack someone in case they had a gun. This guy is supposed to be trained to handle the kind of situation we stay away from.

As for doesnt listen? how do we know that? none of us were there. Did she hear him? I imagine she would have been pretty distracted after a scrap with her mother. But hey, blind side her, she could have a gun anyway...

By the way, does anyone know the story before the film runs? all we see are two people on the ground. How did they get there? is the person that gets wiped out the initial transgressor or was she pinning the other one down to stop her hitting out? anyone know?

Harwich - no one was charged with manslaughter in that UK case. Murder or manslaughter was never a charge as it was a public enquiry whcih found the officer 'responsible' for the death. Where it goes from here I dont know.

Yeah. let's feel sorry for another juvenile deliquent. When will juvies be held accountable for their actions? Too often they are slapped on the wrist by the judicial system and they know they can get away with A LOT more because they are "minors." I feel not one ounce of sympathy for her.

+1

but seriously, the cop did take it a tad too far...he even seemed a little shocked by how she reacted and that makes me wonder if he was expecting more resistance when he did it....she seemed to be off balance when he lunged.

vetmin+incentives?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. When he hit her, it almost seemed like he was surprised she went down that easy.

Yeah. let's feel sorry for another juvenile deliquent. When will juvies be held accountable for their actions? Too often they are slapped on the wrist by the judicial system and they know they can get away with A LOT more because they are "minors." I feel not one ounce of sympathy for her.

Looks like I am right, at least with some people.

Looks to me like he miscalculated her resistance. As he's running up to her, she turns around towards him. At that point he goes at her a little harder than he was a second earlier, accounting for a normal reaction from someone who sees you coming. But she didn't react the way she should have, she kept walking while looking at him, off balance, and when he strikes her she goes down much harder than someone who knows a blow is coming at them should go down. She didn't do anything to protect or catch herself even thought she turned around and saw him coming.

I'm not sure the officer can be expected to take her impaired reaction into account.

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

but seriously, the cop did take it a tad too far...he even seemed a little shocked by how she reacted and that makes me wonder if he was expecting more resistance when he did it....she seemed to be off balance when he lunged.

Exactly right. He seemed surprised to me too. I'm pretty sure he anticipated a different reaction from her when she turned around.

I don't always side with the cops, I don't always side with the "victims". In this case, I think it was excessive force. She was walking away. at that point she was not an immediate physical threat nor was she running and in need of a tackle. he could have grabbed her by the wrist and put her in a joint lock or something rather than a full force lunging shove into the wall.

Archived