Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giant asteroid set to narrowly miss Earth (Yahoo News)

#98QBKiller

:yikes:

All it takes is one and we're back to the Stone Age.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/giant-asteroid-set-to-narrowly-miss-earth.html

Giant asteroid set to narrowly miss Earth

A giant asteroid will only just miss earth later this year, according to NASA.

The huge rock, dubbed YU55, will pass within 201,700 miles of our planet in November.

If it crashes into earth the impact would be equivalent to 65,000 atomic bombs, while the crater would be six miles wide and 2,000 ft deep.

The asteroid, which weighs 55 million tons and is 1,300ft wide, will be the largest ever object to get so close to our planet. It orbits the sun every 14 months.

[Related story: NASA probe shows Einstein theory was correct]

It will be closer to us than the moon, which is on average 238,855 miles away and will be visible through a small telescope.

The best times to view it will be between 23:28 on 8 November and 07:13 on 9 November (UK time).

According to NASA spokesman Dave Yeomans, there is no chance YU55 will crash into earth… for the time being. He said in statement: “YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over, at the very least, the next 100 years.”

He added: “During its closest approach, its gravitational effect on the Earth will be so minuscule as to be immeasurable. It will not affect the tides or anything else.”

Nonetheless, it has been officially labeled a ‘potentially hazardous object’ by the space agency.

YU55 was discovered by Robert McMillan, head of the NASA-funded Spacewatch Program at the University of Arizona in 2005, but it’s not the only ‘near-earth object’ they are monitoring.

NASA are also keeping tabs on WN5, an asteroid that will pass the planet in 2028, and ‘99942 Apophis’, a celestial body measuring 1,200 ft which could zoom past us on April 13 2036.

They also believe an even bigger asteroid has a one-in-a-thousand chance of colliding with earth in 2182.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 11:47 PM ----------

comet20110502.gif

I think it would screw up the gravity.

Nah unless the explosion then impacted Earth. The moon getting screwed would just affect gravity on the oceans. Basically our waves would go down considerably.

---------- Post added May-6th-2011 at 12:26 AM ----------

Giant asteroid hits moon. Moon hits earth. Game over man. Game over.

Since when was the Moon a ping pong ball?

Nah unless the explosion then impacted Earth. The moon getting screwed would just affect gravity on the oceans. Basically our waves would go down considerably.

What about the Earth's orbit. Would that be affected?

What about the Earth's orbit. Would that be affected?

Only if the force of the explosion pushed the Earth out of its orbit. If the asteroid hits the Moon(which would destroy it) then we get showered in pieces. The explosion would have to have enough force to fight the Sun's gravity on Earth. That's alot of force to push the Earth out of orbit.

Since when was the Moon a ping pong ball?

Sci-fi movies tell me so. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! :silly:

I hopped on a random physics board and the consensus seemed that if an asteroid hit the moon from the opposite side and then actually caromed into earth, it would have to be so gigantic and hit the moon with such force that there would be nothing, absolutely nothing we could do about it.

I smell Armageddon II.

He added: “During its closest approach, its gravitational effect on the Earth will be so minuscule as to be immeasurable. It will not affect the tides or anything else.”

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

They also believe an even bigger asteroid has a one-in-a-thousand chance of colliding with earth in 2182.

I plan to be long dead by then as I imagine my kids and grandkids will be, so I couldn't care less about this one.

Apophis (also known as MN4) passes Earth twice., 2029 (Friday the 13th believe it or not! LOL! (in April) ) and again in 2035.

In 2029 it will be closer than satellites we have up there and will be around 18,000 miles from Earth. You will be able to spot it in the night sky.

According to NASA Science News web site, it would be big enough to punch through the Earths atmosphere without breaking up and big enough to wipe out an area "the size of Texas" (no worry there then ;) )

With suitable Hollywod style drama Apophis is the name of the Egpytian God of destruction. Better pack your bags!

• 1 year later...

Close pass with 'doomsday' asteroid Apophis

The asteroid Apophis has crossed Earth's path. Now, astronomers will return to their calculators to find out what danger it poses in the future.

The 1,000-foot-wide asteroid has made the first in a series of close approaches to the Earth predicted since it was first discovered in 2009.

Scientists ruled out any possibility of a devastating collision this time -- but there remains a small chance the asteroid will smash into Earth in 2036.

This time, Apophis, named after an Egyptian god of destruction, was no closer than around 9.3 million miles.

In 2029, Apophis is expected to come uncomfortably close, brushing past the Earth at a distance of just 18,000 miles. That will put the asteroid inside the orbit of communication satellites.

Current models predict a small but real possibility that Apophis will strike the Earth in 2036 -- but only if the space rock passes through a small "slingshot" region in space when it crosses our orbit in 2029.

Click on the link for the full article

Close pass with 'doomsday' asteroid Apophis

The asteroid Apophis has crossed Earth's path. Now, astronomers will return to their calculators to find out what danger it poses in the future.

The 1,000-foot-wide asteroid has made the first in a series of close approaches to the Earth predicted since it was first discovered in 2009.

Scientists ruled out any possibility of a devastating collision this time -- but there remains a small chance the asteroid will smash into Earth in 2036.

This time, Apophis, named after an Egyptian god of destruction, was no closer than around 9.3 million miles.

In 2029, Apophis is expected to come uncomfortably close, brushing past the Earth at a distance of just 18,000 miles. That will put the asteroid inside the orbit of communication satellites.

Current models predict a small but real possibility that Apophis will strike the Earth in 2036 -- but only if the space rock passes through a small "slingshot" region in space when it crosses our orbit in 2029.

Click on the link for the full article

I just signed up for that Mars reality show.

Archived