Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EA: Drinking coffee, having sex are triggers that raise rupture risks for brain aneurysm

China

Drinking coffee, having sex are triggers that raise rupture risks for brain aneurysm

American Heart Association rapid access journal report

From drinking coffee to having sex to blowing your nose, you could temporarily raise your risk of rupturing a brain aneurysm — and suffering a stroke, according to a study published in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.

Dutch researchers identified eight main triggers that appear to increase the risk of intracranial aneurysm (IA), a weakness in the wall of a brain blood vessel that often causes it to balloon. If it ruptures, it can result in a subarachnoid hemorrhage which is a stroke caused by bleeding at the base of the brain. An estimated 2 percent of the general population have IAs, but few rupture.

Calculating population attributable risk — the fraction of subarachnoid hemorrhages that can be attributed to a particular trigger factor — the researchers identified the eight factors and their contribution to the risk as:

•Coffee consumption (10.6 percent)

•Vigorous physical exercise (7.9 percent)

•Nose blowing (5.4 percent)

•Sexual intercourse (4.3 percent)

•Straining to defecate (3.6 percent)

•Cola consumption (3.5 percent)

•Being startled (2.7 percent)

•Being angry (1.3 percent)

"All of the triggers induce a sudden and short increase in blood pressure, which seems a possible common cause for aneurysmal rupture," said Monique H.M. Vlak, M.D., lead author of the study and a neurologist at the University Medical Center in Utrecht, the Netherlands.

Risk was higher shortly after drinking alcohol, but decreased quickly, researchers said.

"Subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by the rupture of an intracranial aneurysm is a devastating event that often affects young adults," Vlak said. "These trigger factors we found are superimposed on known risk factors, including female gender, age and hypertension."

Click on the link for the full article

Well I am just about screwed. See you guys on the other side.

Your sig is hilarious.

Recently had a similar "encounter". My gf's sister-in-law's father went to say goodbye to me, and tried to be cool or some ****, and went from trying to give me a high-five, to trying to give me a fist-bump, to trying to give me a weird bro-handshake...and it all happened so fast that I never even got to move my hand from the normal hand-shake position, which is where I was all along...because I'm a ****ing adult, and was taught that you shake a man's hand.

So embarrassing. Hope I don't see that guy for a long time :ols:

How is stress not the highest? Sure moderate stress isn't so bad but have you ever seen what anxiety does to blood pressure? It spikes dramatically! Even worse is when high stress/anxiety leads to a panic attack. Blood pressure spike so high people think they are going to pass out or that they are having a heart attack.

Never underestimate the ability of modern communication systems to overload your primitive brain. The world didn't design humans to be in constant contact with each other, thus allowing everyone to demand everything from us all at the same time no matter where we are.

Archived