Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HEY MIKE..DONOVAN...Kiss and Makeup, We Got Games To Win

lovemaskins

And if Rex Grossman set the franchise record for yards yall would be singing his praises. But since stats don't matter and it's all about wins I don't want to hear that crap about how good Rex looked (in reality he was the same as he's always been...average) because we still lost with him. He finished with a losing record.

Its typical Washington BS!! They love the back up for no apparent reason. Then when the backup is in there for 16 games and looks like crap they want to see the other back up...lol Nonsense!

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

McNabb is washed up. Shanahan didn't bench a guy he traded two picks for a journeyman just for the fun of it. He learned what Reid knew -- McNabb's legs are shot and it's killed his game.

The guy had a great career, but he's very close to done. And Shanahan isn't the only coach in the league who thinks so.

Also, ask the insiders on this board: McNabb's teammates aren't exactly in love with him.

Better just to get on the same page and move on.

You name me one QB that's an option for us right now that's not a shed of their former self??????

Bulger, Young, Grossman, Hasselbeck, Smith??

We all knew that McNabb was not a long term solution, so why the Shanahans are panicking as if they only had one year to prove themselves is beyond me. I was screaming to keep Campbell and have him and Grossman compete for the gig. Then either in 2011 or 2012 draft a franchise QB.Now even though Shanahan has made the dumbest trade in Redskins history it still shouldnt change the plan. Let McNabb lead the team and draft a franchise QB next year.

Its typical Washington BS!! They love the back up for no apparent reason. Then when the backup is in there for 16 games and looks like crap they want to see the other back up...lol Nonsense!

Yes...its nonsense to at least give the guy who threw 4 TD's and two 2-pt conversions in a single game, a chance at the starting spot. Because the guy we'd otherwise pay $10 million to be mediocre is 35 and a drama queen with a passive-aggressive attitude, a trouble-making agent, and way too much sympathy in the the media, which causes all sorts of problems that Grossman wouldn't cause.

Man, what a run-on.

Well, it seems as other teams don't share our sentiment as I just heard on NFL network that McNabb is working out with the receivers from the Cardinals, more specifically Larry Fizt. I bet with a receiver like that catching his passes he wouldn't look as erractic. Oh I forgot having papa smurf and smurfette is the prototype WR in the NFL today.

Do you mean he's working out with guys that live down the street from him? Well, there's your proof guys.

Agree

Hey fellow Skins' fans, another draft is over and the optimism is high due to a draft full of promise and professionalism (finally, whew). We got new receivers, rbs, even another pass rusher and dline prospects. Considering what we currently have on our roster and impending Free Agency to pickup some Olineman, I feel good about the future of Redskins nation. Yet one question remains.

Who's gonna throw the damn ball?

I keep hearing about how we might bring sexy Rexy back (can't believe I actually typed that) and how all of a sudden the very below average John Beck is projected as the starter because Shanahan had him rated as "the number qb that year." Or we might get the broken and bruised Matt Hasslebeck although the schizophrenic

Vince Young sounds even better. Better yet, lets give Marc Bulger a call and bring back Scott Brunell to back him up. In the words of Keyshawn "CMON MAN."

I am the only one in Skins nation that realizes we have a more than serviceable all-pro starter named Donovan McNabb on the roster AND UNDER CONTRACT might I add. I know, I know he had a couple of, i mean a few, uh uh, okay several rough games last year. But after ten years in one system in Philly he comes to a new city, fanbase, locker room, all while learning a new playbook, with no Oline, running backs, or recievers and is expected to replicate Favre's success in Minnesota.

I remember some games where he looked awesome last year, and I think he could continue to get better if given more of a chance, especially with the upgrades we have now. I'd especially like to see him help develop some of the young talent we acquired with his veteran presence in the locker and in the huddle.

So Mike Shannahan, put the ego aside (thought that happened when you got fired in Denver) and Donovan, let the coaching staff teach the old dog a new trick (maybe why you got fired in Philly) and make amends so we can look like a decent football team in 2011-12. :logo:

I never said it was much. My point still remains the same...he's the best QB on our roster. That's a fact.

Saying he's not a starting caliber QB anymore is laughable. He had a bad year...but guess what so did Mike Shannahan. So let's just get rid of him so we can start to progress.

Brick. Wall. Head. Bang.

Hail.

No, its not all Mcnabb.

The interior OL play was horrendous, making the running game nonexistant. On the other side of the ball the defense had issues rushing the passer and stopping the run. Its a bad team, no doubt.

Grossman, however, played with the same personnel and ran a far smoother offense, with better 3rd down conversion rates and actual redzone production. He also doesn't make 10 million a year.

I never liked Mcnabb, so I'm not unbiased. His body is breaking down, imo. First few games of the year, he looked like a decent qb. Then the hits piled up.

I'm not saying Mcnabb is THE problem. Just one.

I hear you, but did you notice when Grossman got in, they threw more screen plays and slants. If Kyle had this type of game plan in his arsenal, why not call it like that when Mcnabb was in the game. He could have done most of that with his eyes closed. IJS

I hear you, but did you notice when Grossman got in, they threw more screen plays and slants. If Kyle had this type of game plan in his arsenal, why not call it like that when Mcnabb was in the game. He could have done most of that with his eyes closed. IJS

Two points here.

1. There were just as many of these calls for McNabb. He just didn't dump the ball off. He held it looking for the big play, something he always did in Philly. He's just not capable of running a rhythm offense that relies on the short and intermediate pass. Not unless he has someone like Westbrook that he trusts...and he obviously didn't have that here.

2. Once McNabb's legs went, his footwork/mechanics totally **** the bed. This is a recurring problem, and made it very hard for him to accurately hit those short passes with touch and timing.

McNabb is washed up. Shanahan didn't bench a guy he traded two picks for a journeyman just for the fun of it. He learned what Reid knew -- McNabb's legs are shot and it's killed his game.

The guy had a great career, but he's very close to done. And Shanahan isn't the only coach in the league who thinks so.

Also, ask the insiders on this board: McNabb's teammates aren't exactly in love with him.

Better just to get on the same page and move on.

McNabb averaged more than 5 yards per carry when he decided to run. He also threw for over 3300 yards. That does not sound at all like a washed up QB. The knock on McNabb from last year was his TD to INT percentage. That, to me, can be attributed to so many things including his adjustment to the system... not his abilities or the lack there of. Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

There's so much here going on that NONE of us know about. What goes on behind closed doors between Mcnabb and Shanahan. You can look at stats and numbers and all that, but if a coach who is so insistent on changing the culture of this franchise brutally benches McNabb, something had to be going on. Best guess, he wasn't buying into both Shanahan's advocating better footwork. I also heard that he had a ton of trouble with playbook verbage. He had to do something egregious to get benched like he did.

And, not surprisingly, a ton of you are being completely shortsighted and not realizing that he signed a 5 YEAR contract with manning/brady type money. There's just absolutely no justification is investing SO MUCH in a guy the entire staff is lukewarm on. I think we all know that McNabb is a better QB option than Grossman and Beck, but it would be foolish to keep him on the roster for the reasons I've stated.

This is gonna piss a ton of you off, those that are so used to instant gratification, but we are going to SUCK next year. We're not gonna pony up this offseason and try to make a playoff run with FA's. We're gonna take our lumps, get picks, get younger. It's a process and it's the right way to build a franchise

McNabb averaged more than 5 yards per carry when he decided to run. He also threw for over 3300 yards. That does not sound at all like a washed up QB. The knock on McNabb from last year was his TD to INT percentage. That, to me, can be attributed to so many things including his adjustment to the system... not his abilities or the lack there of. Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

That average is broken: it represents what he was capable of the first few weeks of the season, before his legs continually got injured and his mechanics fell apart as a result. He wasn't a threat to run after that. Its not a one-time thing. Its something that has messed with him before, and something that's only going to happen more frequently.

Two points here.

1. There were just as many of these calls for McNabb. He just didn't dump the ball off. He held it looking for the big play, something he always did in Philly. He's just not capable of running a rhythm offense that relies on the short and intermediate pass. Not unless he has someone like Westbrook that he trusts...and he obviously didn't have that here.

2. Once McNabb's legs went, his footwork/mechanics totally **** the bed. This is a recurring problem, and made it very hard for him to accurately hit those short passes with touch and timing.

I don't believe the timing was because of his legs. It was moreso because it was a new system with new recievers.

Maybe he didn't dump the ball off quick enough, but lets face it, he didn't exactly have a alot of time. The OL sucked for much of last season. Yea they got a little better towards the end of the season, but still nothing to be proud of.

All I saying is , unless your going to make a great deal for Mcnabb, mend the fences, go into camp, let all the QBs battle it out.

I think a large part of why it seems Rex got more screen pass calls, is the overall lack of called runs in his starts. Shanahan pretty much said he was evaluating Rex, calling more pass plays than normal. Instead of using runs to deal with overaggresive pass rushes, screens were used a bit more. I'll give you guys that.

About McNabb's TD/INT ratio, I have to be fair here. Joey Galloway caused at least 4 of them singlehandedly by not finishing his routes. Not that McNabb played well regardless, but it bears mentioning the worst impact I've seen a WR have on a team in an NFL season.

I still don't think his aging body will allow him to be the QB he was in the past for more than the first 3-4 weeks of the season. That's simply not worth 10 million a year.

I'm all for an open competition at QB. McNabb is just too costly to stay on the roster. Beck or Grossman would beat him out anyways, in this offense, even if McNabb was the better QB seperate from schemes.

Has John Beck ever thrown a pass in anger?

If he has' date=' I imagine he's spent much time feeling guilty about it.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 04:05 PM ----------

All I saying is , unless your going to make a great deal for Mcnabb, mend the fences, go into camp, let all the QBs battle it out.

I just don't see the point. We're a rebuilding team. He's 35. He's making $10 million/year if we don't ditch him some way before this season.

What does it gain us, keeping him around? Even if he is marginally better than Grossman (which I don't believe, but that's obviously a separate argument).

[quote name='ConnSKINS26;8286654

[/color]

I just don't see the point. We're a rebuilding team. He's 35. He's making $10 million/year if we don't ditch him some way before this season.

What does it gain us' date=' keeping him around? Even if he is marginally better than Grossman (which I don't believe, but that's obviously a separate argument).[/quote']

I like this guy.

I'm like you, don't see a benefit in keeping McNabb, even if his supporters are correct that he is the best QB on the roster. This team doesn't have the talent or culture in place to make a serious run during McNabb's career.

The only positive I can see in keeping him are merchandise sales and a lower draft pick. Add 10 million reasons for him to go on top of this, and the result is painfully apparent.

Andy Reid trade raped Shanny. Hell Shanny even admits it.

LOL this irrational love for McNabb is comedic. Just like Jason Campbell, all the excuses made for him do not apply to his replacement, Rex. We're a terrible team when McNabb is playing, but put Rex in, and suddenly Rex is the joke.

The only thing McNabb has on Rex at this point is media hype.

Media hype does not win games.

Last year's problems were not all because of McNabb but he was a large part of it. The team is rebuilding so let him go. Let Grossman or Beck (preferably Beck because you never know he just might be good). We'll draft a QB next year and keep the train rolling.

The McNabb experiment was a good try but ultimately it just didn't work.

If he has, I imagine he's spent much time feeling guilty about it.

What does it gain us, keeping him around? Even if he is marginally better than Grossman (which I don't believe, but that's obviously a separate argument).

I see your point on the money aspect of it. It was weird anyway to sign Mcnabb to that contract a week after benching him.

Let's be honest, there is noway Mcnabb is only marginally better than Grossman. Atleast Mcnabb know when to fold a play and just get sacked. Grossman will fumble the ball in the endzone from the 50yard line....lol

That average is broken: it represents what he was capable of the first few weeks of the season, before his legs continually got injured and his mechanics fell apart as a result. He wasn't a threat to run after that. Its not a one-time thing. Its something that has messed with him before, and something that's only going to happen more frequently.

Fell apart? I beg to defer, McNabb had admirable games against Tenn. and TB after the bye. Coach also admitted that McNabb missed a lot of practice time because of his injuries so he didn't have much opportunity to perfect his footwork. It made sense to me to see what Rex could do after the season was lost and although it wasn't pretty, I don't think it was necessarily a knock McNabb. A lot of players got more time in the last three games.

Aside from that one 4td game against a suspect secondary, Rex was average at best. People are so ready to hand him the starting job when Rex, in his second year in the system, also had up and down games.

I stand by my first response to the OP and reiterate that I HOPE we bring all three QBs back, along with a vet free agent to compete in camp (if we have one) and let the best man have the starting job. I don't know the verbiage in his contract but we can cut him during training camp if it's not gonna work out. Cutting him before then is dumb IMO.

I see your point on the money aspect of it. It was weird anyway to sign Mcnabb to that contract a week after benching him.

Let's be honest, there is noway Mcnabb is only marginally better than Grossman. Atleast Mcnabb know when to fold a play and just get sacked. Grossman will fumble the ball in the endzone from the 50yard line....lol

Ugh, painful memory. Not really fair though, bringing him off the bench. When was the last time he played, at least 2 years before that? There was no way he was going to succeed under those conditions, and that was just a horribly poetic end to that game. Never mind the fact that they had been contemplating benching McNabb multiple games before that.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

Rex was average at best. People are so ready to hand him the starting job when Rex, in his second year in the system, also had up and down games.

Average at best is exactly what McNabb was. So why pay him $10 million to play similarly, while drawing much more media attention and drama than Grossman would. And that's not even bringing up that apparently McNabb isn't even well-liked in the locker room, or his and his agent's shenanigans.

---------- Post added May-5th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

I like this guy.

I'm like you, don't see a benefit in keeping McNabb, even if his supporters are correct that he is the best QB on the roster. This team doesn't have the talent or culture in place to make a serious run during McNabb's career.

The only positive I can see in keeping him are merchandise sales and a lower draft pick. Add 10 million reasons for him to go on top of this, and the result is painfully apparent.

Andy Reid trade raped Shanny. Hell Shanny even admits it.

Its true. Reid took us for a ride on that one. And he's about to do the same, but possibly worse, with Kolb.

At least Shanahan seems to have learned from it and is admitting his mistake, while moving on. Vinny would have stuck with him till the bitter end, no matter the outcome, to avoid admitting he was wrong.

Ah, everyone makes mistakes. Like you, I'm just happy he's willing to admit it.

Please tell me you aren't implying that this team is interested in Kolb!? I don't mind if some other team overpays for him, but if Shanny deals with the Eagles for an overrated qb again, I just might snap :D

Nevermind, he can't be that crazy lol

Ah, everyone makes mistakes. Like you, I'm just happy he's willing to admit it.

Please tell me you aren't implying that this team is interested in Kolb!? I don't mind if some other team overpays for him, but if Shanny deals with the Eagles for an overrated qb again, I just might snap :D

Nevermind, he can't be that crazy lol

Haha no, most likely its the Cardinals or Seahawks. But they'll likely get a 1st for him. From a pretty bad team. Ugh.

What's ironic is that McNabb probably looked better than Kolb last year, which isn't saying much. But I suppose its common knowledge within the NFL community that being a Redskin lowers your value.

My point is, if John Beck were drafted for the Eagles instead of Kolb, he'd be the one fetching an undeserved first rounder. While on this board, anyone who wanted to give Kolb a shot would be ridiculed.

Damn mass media.

Archived