Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HEY MIKE..DONOVAN...Kiss and Makeup, We Got Games To Win

lovemaskins

Hey fellow Skins' fans, another draft is over and the optimism is high due to a draft full of promise and professionalism (finally, whew). We got new receivers, rbs, even another pass rusher and dline prospects. Considering what we currently have on our roster and impending Free Agency to pickup some Olineman, I feel good about the future of Redskins nation. Yet one question remains.

Who's gonna throw the damn ball?

I keep hearing about how we might bring sexy Rexy back (can't believe I actually typed that) and how all of a sudden the very below average John Beck is projected as the starter because Shanahan had him rated as "the number qb that year." Or we might get the broken and bruised Matt Hasslebeck although the schizophrenic

Vince Young sounds even better. Better yet, lets give Marc Bulger a call and bring back Scott Brunell to back him up. In the words of Keyshawn "CMON MAN."

I am the only one in Skins nation that realizes we have a more than serviceable all-pro starter named Donovan McNabb on the roster AND UNDER CONTRACT might I add. I know, I know he had a couple of, i mean a few, uh uh, okay several rough games last year. But after ten years in one system in Philly he comes to a new city, fanbase, locker room, all while learning a new playbook, with no Oline, running backs, or recievers and is expected to replicate Favre's success in Minnesota.

I remember some games where he looked awesome last year, and I think he could continue to get better if given more of a chance, especially with the upgrades we have now. I'd especially like to see him help develop some of the young talent we acquired with his veteran presence in the locker and in the huddle.

So Mike Shannahan, put the ego aside (thought that happened when you got fired in Denver) and Donovan, let the coaching staff teach the old dog a new trick (maybe why you got fired in Philly) and make amends so we can look like a decent football team in 2011-12. :logo:

I think Donovan McNabb is currently the best option as well until free agency... He looked pretty bad last year, but I can't imagine him sucking as much in his second year with some speedy new receivers and hopefully a slightly more gelled o-line... But too many bridges have been burned.

I think Donovan will be more than willing to put the past behind him and move forward. He acted like a tue pro through it all. Shanahan should also consider the McNabb possibility considering he needs this second chance to be successful for his future coaching in the NFL.

John Beck sounds less crazy to me. Mcnabb is done. He played worse and worse as the year went on. Grossman looked good by comparison. That's right. THE Rex Grossman lol

He was overrated and benefitted from a screen pass happy offense in Philly. Now, he's done. Andy Reid knew it, and now you all should.

I'm just happy Shanny can admit he was wrong, unlike some of our fans. Oh well, opinions are just that. Often wrong. (Mine are worth no more)

Or wont he. Could that be the reason we passed on taking a qb in the draft. Maybe the Shanahans considered what I'm thinking and may be planning on going into next season with McNabb and beck as the 1 and 2. I'd be all for that. With the roster we had last season and the horrific defense, McNabb is the only reason we won as many games as we did.

McNabb never accepted the coaching on footwork, etc. that would have helped his accuracy problems. He's done here.

As far as Beck, Shanny might be pumping him up to keep Grossman's salary demands down but could also see giving Beck the reins now that he has a year under his belt.

So you blame all of last year on Mcnabb. I think Kyle's playcalling was atrocious to average at best, but he gets a pass because he's the preacher's kid. Run, run, pass didn't work with Zorn either. Joe Gibbs second coming had more bells and whistles then last years offense and Joe Gibbs was like cocoon getting back together for one last moon ride.

No, its not all Mcnabb.

The interior OL play was horrendous, making the running game nonexistant. On the other side of the ball the defense had issues rushing the passer and stopping the run. Its a bad team, no doubt.

Grossman, however, played with the same personnel and ran a far smoother offense, with better 3rd down conversion rates and actual redzone production. He also doesn't make 10 million a year.

I never liked Mcnabb, so I'm not unbiased. His body is breaking down, imo. First few games of the year, he looked like a decent qb. Then the hits piled up.

I'm not saying Mcnabb is THE problem. Just one.

All for it if Kyle would actually tailor his playbook to McNabb's strengths. He doesn't need to change the thing, just call the plays McNabb is comfortable w/. Why on Earth we saw so few screens until Grossman came in is still a mystery to me, McNabb/Westbrook killed it w/ screens, our line at "below average," seemed like the perfect storm for some screens.

But I doubt Kyle will actually work w/ McNabb, the relationship appears to be beyond repair. I love our "future HC," w/ 1 year and he's already run a potential hof QB out of town. At this moment in time he's a poor-mans Josh McDaniels.

No, its not all Mcnabb.

The interior OL play was horrendous, making the running game nonexistant. On the other side of the ball the defense had issues rushing the passer and stopping the run. Its a bad team, no doubt.

Grossman, however, played with the same personnel and ran a far smoother offense, with better 3rd down conversion rates and actual redzone production. He also doesn't make 10 million a year.

I never liked Mcnabb, so I'm not unbiased. His body is breaking down, imo. First few games of the year, he looked like a decent qb. Then the hits piled up.

I'm not saying Mcnabb is THE problem. Just one.

I like this guy. Stick around :)

I agree with pretty much everything here. McNabb is notorious for falling apart throughout the year. He's a threat to run---for 3-4 weeks. Then his legs start breaking down. Which make his already-questionable footwork/accuracy problems even worse. It happens every year.

And its only going to get worse.

He's inconsistent. So is Grossman. But Grossman gets paid MUCH less, and doesn't carry any baggage with him. No media controversy. No passive-aggressive attitude in the media or through his agent. He can hit the screen pass, the dump-off, and the 5-yard slant consistently. He doesn't waste timeouts, because he knows the offense, is willing to do what the coaches want and play within it, and keeps the offense running at an up-beat tempo.

And he's just as likely to throw 4 TD's as he is 1 TD/3 INT.

So at least there's a potential payoff in his inconsistency. McNabb is just consistently mediocre, and inaccurate. Grossman isn't inaccurate in the same way: he just trusts his arm too much, and makes the wrong read sometimes. Or doesn't care.

But I'll take Grossman or Beck over McNabb any day.

Its all moot. McNabb's gone.

Grossmans familiarity with the offense due to him being the backup in Houston helped him look better as well. I also wondered why we didn't run any screens until Rex took over. It almost seemed like they just expected McNabb to win games while Mike and Kyle just stand around and watch. Then they had an epiphany, "I know, lets call some plays to help him out." Even Belicheck mixes it up and he's got Tom Brady. Teams figured us out and it was horrible to watch. Press coverage, blitz Casey Rabach and Stephan Heyer and game over.

Grossmans familiarity with the offense due to him being the backup in Houston helped him look better as well. I also wondered why we didn't run any screens until Rex took over. It almost seemed like they just expected McNabb to win games while Mike and Kyle just stand around and watch. Then they had an epiphany, "I know, lets call some plays to help him out." Even Belicheck mixes it up and he's got Tom Brady. Teams figured us out and it was horrible to watch. Press coverage, blitz Casey Rabach and Stephan Heyer and game over.

No. The play-calling didn't change when Grossman took over...he just threw the ball where it was designed to go. And had the accuracy to consistently hit those short passes. The thing that really changed was the way the offense was run from under center: faster, no wasted time (or time-outs), and with urgency. What a refreshing change.

McNabb was lethargic in comparison, no matter what plays he was running. Like Campbell, there was no sense of urgency, no awareness of situation or time, in his game.

McNabb was never capable of running a rhythm offense in Philly, either. He's always been known as a big-play guy. And those big plays were nice, of course. But they wouldn't have been necessary if he was capable of keeping the chains moving and helping chew up the clock. Which would also help the defense stay off the field.

Grossman did all of this, and its not just because he knew the system. Though that was a perk.

Well, it seems as other teams don't share our sentiment as I just heard on NFL network that McNabb is working out with the receivers from the Cardinals, more specifically Larry Fizt. I bet with a receiver like that catching his passes he wouldn't look as erractic. Oh I forgot having papa smurf and smurfette is the prototype WR in the NFL today.

Well...It doesn't look like anyone's mind is going to be changed. Let's say you're right and Mcnabb is a probowl qb for the Cards.

You, yourself, admit we don't have the talent at WR to compete in the short term. Meaning we don't need a 34 year old QB, no matter how great he is. Much less one who doesn't fit the offense very well here, and has a giant contract.

Bottom line, he's too old to contribute to a playoff run for us, even if he is a solid qb. All he does is sell tickets, and keep the Skins treading water from 7 to 9 wins.

Haven't we had enough of this?

Well, it seems as other teams don't share our sentiment as I just heard on NFL network that McNabb is working out with the receivers from the Cardinals, more specifically Larry Fizt. I bet with a receiver like that catching his passes he wouldn't look as erractic. Oh I forgot having papa smurf and smurfette is the prototype WR in the NFL today.

I'm sure he would. But we don't have Fitz, which is why a more consistent short/intermediate passer like Grossman fits here better. You're helping me make my point.

The Cardinals have reportedly NEVER had interest in McNabb, over the last couple years, despite reports, for the exact reasons he doesn't fit well here.

Your posts are getting a little argumentative and bitter, because nobody's really agreeing with you. We can have a discussion on this without it getting nasty, though. Just trying to head that off.

No, I'm not getting argumentative and am not close to getting nasty bro, I just know we didn't have anything close to a average football team and most of our players couldnt start anywhere else in the league. If noone sides with me cool, but I'm in the camp of people that thinks Mcnabb didn't have a fair shake and now were all ready to jump ship and start with the likes of John Beck. That's asinine to me. Every year we all, especially on this board, keep saying continuity and stability, and here we are again asking to start over with another qb. I am certain whoever we start is gonna look just as bad if not worst that McNabb. I watched all the games last year too, and Rex Grossman didn't look good at all either. Remember the Lions game.

That's a terrible example. Not very many QBs are going to look good entering a two minute situation coming off the bench cold.

Added with the fact thats it's not Rex who missed a block. Although, no QB could've done anything with the line matchups in that game. It was a terrible game to watch as a Redskin fan.

I was happy when Mcnabb was benched after that last nutty int into double coverage, then Rex gets smeared and I shrug. Not much to be done when you're that outmatched lol...

Mcnabb took a serious beating that day.

Archived