Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AJE: Ruling Conservatives in landslide Canada win

visionary

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/05/2011535440478927.html

Canada's ruling Conservatives have won a crushing victory in federal elections, handing prime minister Stephen Harper a coveted majority that eluded him in the last three elections.

Provisional results showed the Conservatives had 166 seats in parliament, well above the 155 they needed to transform their minority government into a majority. They won 40 per cent of the vote, more than most pollsters had expected.

"Canadian politics has changed dramatically tonight," Jason Kenney, immigration minister in the last Conservative government, said a day after Monday's vote.

"Canadians have gotten what they want; a stable majority which will focus on governing and economic growth and responsible fiscal policy."

The Conservatives, describing themselves as the guardians of a surprisingly resilient economy, had stressed throughout the election campaign that they needed a majority to keep the economy strong, and they promised a string of tax-cut goodies that will take effect once they balance the budget.

DRsmith is clinging to his God and Guns awaiting the next election cycle?

Up here the right is not bat**** crazy since it is not as celeberated, for example anyone running is basically told to shut about their personal views on gay marriage and abortion.

If the cons go to far right they will get slapped down next election, as long as they keep the status quo and keeping working to balance the budget and pay down the debt they will do okay

Actually up here the cons look at the cons south of the border and scratch their heads about how can they be so fiscally naive calling for tax cuts while the country is in such bad shape.

Actually up here the cons look at the cons south of the border and scratch their heads about how can they be so fiscally naive calling for tax cuts while the country is in such bad shape.
Huh? Tax breaks for individuals and Corporations have been at the heart of Canada's economic revitalization.

Huh? Tax breaks for individuals and Corporations have been at the heart of Canada's economic revitalization.

No higher revenues from taxes on higher oil prices have allowed tax cuts infrastructure spending helped the economy.

If you read their platform many tax cuts were dependent on a balaced budget

The only two things I disagree with the cons on up here is tax cuts for the corporations (they are not spending the money) and military spending (I do not know why we need stealth jets at a price tage of 380 billion dollars)

No higher revenues from taxes on higher oil prices have allowed tax cuts infrastructure spending helped the economy.

If you read their platform many tax cuts were dependent on a balaced budget

The only two things I disagree with the cons on up here is tax cuts for the corporations (they are not spending the money) and military spending (I do not know why we need stealth jets at a price tage of 380 billion dollars)

I agree with corporate tax cuts but the jets thing is a stupid debate to have now. We have poured in $300 million + to a consortium group to get a better deal on these planes and to stop it now is just dumb. Yes there was no open bidding, but if we had jet manufacturers bid to Canada alone, we would not have gotten as good of a price on the jets, we are doing a volume discount buy with other nations and to get out of it now would waste more money than open bidding would even come close to saving.

As for the NDP and Jack, WOW. The Liberals in Ontario where right, a vote for the NDP was a vote for the Cons, and that is what happened, some Ontario cons did not get more votes than they did in the last election yet they won by having the Left vote split between the NDP & the Liberals. As for Quebec WTF?!?!? no one saw that coming, good to see the Bloc is almost dead, but Jack is going to have to do a lot for Quebec if he wants to hold onto those seats.

The Liberals, good riddance. They have 2 choices for leader now that Iggy stepped down, Bob Rae or Trudeau. I think they will make a strong comeback in the next election and if they went with Trudeau, they could win the following election on his back alone. The Liberals screwed themselves, thinking Canadians actually care if their politicians are dirty. Here is a message to the Liberals, we know all politicians are dirty, but we are comfortable at giving each crook 5 years to try their policies and hope they don't screw up too much and if they do we will vote them out.

The Liberals where viewed as the political s*** disturbers, and Canadians said no thank you we actually want our government to work instead of engaging in partisan bickering.

I agree with corporate tax cuts but the jets thing is a stupid debate to have now. We have poured in $300 million + to a consortium group to get a better deal on these planes and to stop it now is just dumb. Yes there was no open bidding, but if we had jet manufacturers bid to Canada alone, we would not have gotten as good of a price on the jets, we are doing a volume discount buy with other nations and to get out of it now would waste more money than open bidding would even come close to saving.

As for the NDP and Jack, WOW. The Liberals in Ontario where right, a vote for the NDP was a vote for the Cons, and that is what happened, some Ontario cons did not get more votes than they did in the last election yet they won by having the Left vote split between the NDP & the Liberals. As for Quebec WTF?!?!? no one saw that coming, good to see the Bloc is almost dead, but Jack is going to have to do a lot for Quebec if he wants to hold onto those seats.

The Liberals, good riddance. They have 2 choices for leader now that Iggy stepped down, Bob Rae or Trudeau. I think they will make a strong comeback in the next election and if they went with Trudeau, they could win the following election on his back alone. The Liberals screwed themselves, thinking Canadians actually care if their politicians are dirty. Here is a message to the Liberals, we know all politicians are dirty, but we are comfortable at giving each crook 5 years to try their policies and hope they don't screw up too much and if they do we will vote them out.

The Liberals where viewed as the political s*** disturbers, and Canadians said no thank you we actually want our government to work instead of engaging in partisan bickering.

For more than week the NDP were predicted to win big in Quebec. The Liberals would be better served with folding into the NDP and if the NDP are smart the next election when the Cons bring up Rae and Ontario I would bring up Tommy Douglas who had balanced budgets as premeire and brought us universal health care.

The Liberals lacked good leadership, Harper is not a great political persona but he knows to keep the crazies in check.

Layton resonates well with the people.

I just hope Harper does not pull a Mulroney and think following the American right is the way to go and put the nation in deep debt

As for the planes I am sorry if we can do something about indivuals getting government checks then something should be done by both the US and Canada about Lockheed Martin, if it is okay to freeze wages and tear up contracts on government workers why not over bloated contrators

MONTREAL - Nineteen-year-old Pierre-Luc Dusseault planned to work a summer job at a golf course if his foray into federal politics didn't work out.

He can forget the links.

The teenage longshot is now headed to Ottawa as the youngest member to ever sit in Canada's federal Parliament, joining dozens of other New Democrats in Quebec who scored unlikely victories on Monday night.

Instead of working his way around the green fairways, he will learn his way around the green parquet of the House of Commons as the new MP for Sherbrooke. His new starting salary is $157,731.

Dusseault ran a grassroots campaign in the university town east of Montreal. He says he always believed he had a chance.

"I did a full-time campaign and I was there to win, I wasn't there to be a figurehead, I was involved in the debates and I was present on the ground," Dusseault said.

Coincidentally, Dusseault was also voting for the first time on Monday. His maiden exercise in democracy was a no-brainer — he simply ticked the circle next to his own name.

"It's not a difficult choice," quipped the Granby, Que., native.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/pierre-luc-dusseault-becomes-canadas-youngest-ever-mp-at-the-age-of-19-121168254.html

Cut your tax breaks on the oil sands and see if your tax collections drop.

Cut your tax breaks on the oil sands and see if your tax collections drop.

I would end all tax breaks for oil companies in Canada

I would agree to buy 3 million barrels per day in Canada at 100 dollars per barrel from the sands in lower from price from wells both on and off shore. With an agreement to allow the price to inflate 2.5 percent per year.

You want to see a booming economy and tons of investment in Canad watch the money pour in once companies know they have a locked price for fuel.

All remaining oil could then be sold on the world market and oil producers will still make a profit on every barrel.

Tax breaks were given to the oil sand when it was not a break even or profitable to be developing them now it is very very profitable but the tax breaks have not ended.

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 08:03 AM ----------

Must be nice to have a conservative party that is thoughtfully conservative instead of angry populist screamers. I'm jealous.

I just wish they would stay away from the negative attacks on thier opposition and run on ideas but the more our society changes and brings in imports for campaigns it will increase. But then again I will say I was disgusted when the Liberals tried to pain Conservatives up here like Bush and others in the US.

I remember negative ads used to cost the people running them an election here.

For more than week the NDP were predicted to win big in Quebec. The Liberals would be better served with folding into the NDP and if the NDP are smart the next election when the Cons bring up Rae and Ontario I would bring up Tommy Douglas who had balanced budgets as premeire and brought us universal health care.

The Liberals lacked good leadership, Harper is not a great political persona but he knows to keep the crazies in check.

Layton resonates well with the people.

I just hope Harper does not pull a Mulroney and think following the American right is the way to go and put the nation in deep debt

As for the planes I am sorry if we can do something about indivuals getting government checks then something should be done by both the US and Canada about Lockheed Martin, if it is okay to freeze wages and tear up contracts on government workers why not over bloated contrators

yeah the news about the NDP in Quebec was out last week, but no one was predicting the sweep that they had. No "experts" or polls I saw had the Bloc at under 10 seats, and to end up with 4 is a a huge surprise.

As for the jets my only argument left is time and place, if people really objected to this arrangement they should have made themselves heard when it was decided to join the consortium, to go back now is just foolish. We would waste a huge amount of $ already spent, not save much on new jets by the time the bidding is done and all the lawsuits are settled, not to mention that if you open it up to bidding again, the company you are currently working with will either not submit a price or submit purposely high bid as a polite way of saying f*** you for canceling the original contract. As for the US company's union agreements, I could care less about it, that's their problem not ours.

The one thing I fear for Jack is that you can only have so many back benchers, and he has got more than his fair share with all the Quebec kids. A few of those kids will have to step up and take on a bigger role but Jack is going to have to be very careful of who he picks to get one of the good seats. I can see him leaning on the Liberals for some support there. He is going to have a hard time keeping all those Quebec seats with the Liberals and the Bloc attacking him from both sides, and I bet the Torys will cherry pick ridings they view as weak once the opportunity arises. The only way I see Jack building off this incredible election is if he manages to keep Quebecers happy and not piss off the rest of the country at the same time, something that I think might be impossible.

Archived