Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Now, stop questioning Obama's legitimacy

BRAVEONAWARPATH

David Frum.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/05/02/frum.binladen.obama/index.html

So much to say about the long-awaited visiting of justice upon Osama bin Laden.

But there’s one effect on US domestic politics that deserves a thought:

Here’s hoping that we have at last seen the end of this ugly insinuation that there is something less than fully American about the black president with the exotic name.

On Friday came the release of the long-form birth certificate that provided the final decisive refutation of the birther lie that President Obama was born elsewhere than the United States.

On Saturday at the White House Correspondents dinner, the most visible proponent of that lie, the blowhard TV tycoon Donald Trump, was publicly ridiculed in front of an audience of 3,000 people – without a voice to excuse or defend him.

And then late Sunday, the president told the nation of the successful execution of his order to shoot and kill Osama bin Laden.

The success of the bin Laden operation is a great moment for the United States – and not only for the United States.

But it is also a deservedly bad moment for some of the destructive forces in American public life: for those who have substituted for ordinary politics a sustained campaign to brand President Obama as an outsider, as un-American, as non-American.

Those of us who oppose this administration’s economic and foreign policies have had so many valid points to make.

Yet some have insisted on traveling beyond those valid points. They have called the president “post American.” A “Third world dictator.” An individual whose behavior could only be interpreted as “Kenyan post-colonial.” A “thug in chief.” They have tried to present US politics not as a choice between liberal and conservative, but as a choice between American and non-American, between real Americans and between a dangerous dark-skinned intruder. They have sought to portray the President as a man who could not be trusted to lead the country because he owed no loyalty to the country – because he did not belong in the country.

After the events of the past 72 hours, those kinds of attacks should be finished now. It’s a cleaner world without bin Laden soiling it. And American politics will be cleaner for the expunging of the malicious fantasy of the president’s non-Americanness.

President Obama has performed the first job of an American president: he has used the power of the nation well to defeat the nation’s enemies and defend the nation’s people. After an interval for celebration of yesterday’s accomplishment, it will be back to politics as usual. But let’s hope that this time, the usual will have this difference: that the administration can be criticized as “liberal” without being libeled as “alien.”

Yeah, right.

Anybody want to seriously claim that there aren't already people claiming that Obama did this to divert our attention from the forged birth certificate?

Anybody here certain that we won't be hearing from some member of Congress claiming that the timing of this operation was planned to divert attention away from the GOP's threat to force the nation into default?

Get real. This is politics.

:)

I've seen some sad facebook status' today claiming to be very suspicious of the timing because Obama is at historically low approval levels. Not sure where they got that.

He just needs to grow a beard and start talking like an old grizzled man who's seen a lot. Answer all questions with an old-timey story.

I've seen some sad facebook status' today claiming to be very suspicious of the timing because Obama is at historically low approval levels. Not sure where they got that.

He just needs to grow a beard and start talking like an old grizzled man who's seen a lot. Answer all questions with an old-timey story.

Imagine the suspicion if he tried to wait until immediately before the 2012 election

Imagine the suspicion if he tried to wait until immediately before the 2012 election

That was my reply to one girl I went to college with. I said "Dislike the guy for his policies or ideology.....that's cool. But right now at this point in his term. He is right between where Reagan and Clinton were in approval ratings. If this was announced a week or month before the 2012 elections....then I would be suspicious".

exactly, I heard today how the team that killed Bin Laden had a replica of this place built and practiced the raid over and over and over and over again.

Hopefully their identities are forever safe, but they are big-time heroes.

For whatever reason, the President did alter or approve the altering of something in the search for Bin Laden and it worked. Now get ready for any response and be prepared to hit just as hard on those people.

When they get the information off the paperwork and electronic equipment taking down many many more, He will be the bombdiggity for the next year.

Wartime Presidents don't lose. Win after Win will make him start the Torpedo of truth campaign tour.

I do not care if some perceive this as a wag the dog moment. That bastige is finally dead.

Congrat to Obama on this, however comma I still do not support Obamacare, not drilling domestically or more government spending.

Or his rooting for the Bulls to win it all.

Go Heat :D

It took balls to order other men to kill the most wanted man in the world? Our definition of balls is quite different...

Balls: the seals who went into the danger zone and killed the sob....

Obama risked his presidency here. He could have had a Jimmy Carter-esque failure, with the helicopters being shot down and our country humiliated, and 2012's version of Ronald Reagan flying to rescue our natonal honor. It was a huge political risk.

And yes, those Seals are the bravest, biggest nutted people in the world. So what.

I love the use of the word "some" throughout. Is some 3? Or is it all 300 million of us? Surely the answer is somewhere in between, but continuing to preach to those idiots, in their twisted view of things, gives them legitimacy.

"Some" also believed that Bush and Cheney manipulated gas prices to increase their own nest eggs while they were in the White House. I wonder what "some" believe is the problem now?

Fact is, "some" people will always be stupid. And "some" might want to consider trying to educate them, instead of giving them the ol' "na na nee boo boo."

"Some"thing tells me it just might work.

Okay, regarding the original thread title. No question here as to legitimacy. Not into that birther stuff, even though I lean libertarian.

As far as Osama bin Laden being dead, I hope he really is. I have seen nothing to convince me that the operation was real, or that they really got Osama.

(and no, I don't expect a classified level briefing in person) I am just saying that politicians earn their living lying, and have been caught in lies before, so it is possible that is what is happening now.

Unfortunately, if our government stated tomorrow that the sun was rising in the East, I would look first. Having lived in Missouri, Mr. President (and the rest of you politicians), all I have to say is "Show Me".

Fact is, "some" people will always be stupid. And "some" might want to consider trying to educate them, instead of giving them the ol' "na na nee boo boo."

"Some"thing tells me it just might work.

:ols:

Sorry, but there are plenty of people out there that have absolutely no interest in learning facts or changing their stance when proven wrong.

I have family members that were 100% certain that Obama would be "soft on terror" if he was elected. Those same family members spent most of the day bashing Obama for trying to take all the credit and being arrogant.

This applies to both sides when you're talking about people with extreme views - but that's been my experience.

Obama said yes at the right time. The real unemployment is in the mid teens and gasoline prices are reaching historic levels and while we print money, inflation is taking off. There is plenty to question his legitimacy. His poll numbers will go way up this week, and then when people get gas with record high prices in the coming weeks his rating will fall, unfairly or not.

Go Heat :D

For years I have put up with your incoherent, hateful political lunacy and attacks on my very liberal existence. But now, sir, you have gone too far. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your DC sports fancard should be revoked and, quite frankly, you should be permabanned. Disgusting.

Yeah, right.

Anybody want to seriously claim that there aren't already people claiming that Obama did this to divert our attention from the forged birth certificate?

Anybody here certain that we won't be hearing from some member of Congress claiming that the timing of this operation was planned to divert attention away from the GOP's threat to force the nation into default?

Get real. This is politics.

:)

I genuinely doubt a significant number of people are actually that stupid

It's clear that people aren't understanding Obama's policy shift away from Iraq and other places and back on Afghanistan. They don't understand his reemphasis on finding Osama as the #1 goal of national secruity. They don't understand that he basically said F U to an "ally" (a policy he was criticized for by both McCain and Bush) and they don't understand that he didn't take the safe and easy way out and simply drop a bomb on the place--he risked much sending a Seal team in ensure the success of the mission.

I've been fairly politically subdued over the last year plus. I was just tired of it all. But Obama needs to get his due on this and I haven't felt as passionate about something political since immediately before the '08 election. The guy owned a strategy and now he owns the results. I'm not saying that this should equal automatic reelection or that nothing else matters. But on this he deserves his credit. I'm not going to see people take it away from him.

Archived