Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can't wait to buy: The Killing of Osama by ___ / Is Obama now a lock for reelection?

Rdskns2000

You know there will be an eventual book, maybe by Bob Woodward, that will give a detailed account of the killing of Osama. I can't wait to read that book one day. I think it will be story that needs to be told. Just how we finally found where he was and what we did to finally get him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this great event mean Obama is now a lock for reelection? "Obama got Osama" slogan will be something used in next years campaign.

The military doing their job with a greenlight from the guy sitting behind the desk isn't special. He's gonna get a bump in the polls for this despite it having nothing to do with him. He was just lucky enough to be sitting behind the desk when they needed a green. Virtually no one would have screwed that call up.

On the other hand, the stimulus packages have been among the greatest failures in the history of modern economics. Letting the man have another term is insanity. But America voted Casey off this week, so insanity seems likely.

Good to hear he didn't die of ailment. Not sure thats a reelection moment.

The Navy seals don't normally run for office.

President Obama will be re-elected due the utter destruction of the person that runs against him.

Virtually no one could screw up that call? Were you around for 8 years of Bush?

President Obama is getting re-elected anyway but this news is still going to help.

The surprising thing is that OBL was still alive in the first place. I had bought into the idea he was long dead due to his poor health or a bombing that killed him but we didn't know he was there.

Congratulations to President Obama for taking down the most wanted man in the world since the late 90s. I just wished it was more painful before the killshot.

Bin Laden being shot in the head by one of my Seals may give him a temporary boost in the polls but not necessarily help in the reelection bid.

Some of my family in New York and its backyard, Jersey were upset at the idea that he was in a mansion since last August.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 05:21 AM ----------

So how long before conspiracy nuts start the useless without pics or video, threads / blogs?

The military doing their job with a greenlight from the guy sitting behind the desk isn't special. He's gonna get a bump in the polls for this despite it having nothing to do with him. He was just lucky enough to be sitting behind the desk when they needed a green. Virtually no one would have screwed that call up.

On the other hand, the stimulus packages have been among the greatest failures in the history of modern economics. Letting the man have another term is insanity. But America voted Casey off this week, so insanity seems likely.

Seriously? This is such a bitter, partisan post...so sad.

I'm not going to overstate the role of Obama, but he was clearly a major player in having this happen. It is also a sign that he chose competent people to help run his administration. Does this ensure him re-election? No, but it doesn't hurt.

As for the stimulus being "among the greatest failures in the history of modern economics", how so? Did it do everything we wanted it to do? No. It was a package worth about $850 billion trying to fill a $3 trillion hole. And it stopped the bleeding. We're not in a depression are we? I'd rather have 8.8% unemployment than the 10% or 11% we'd have without the stimulus. Check what austerity measures have done to the UK if that's what you truly want.

What's insane is to push through $4 trillion worth of tax cuts while conducting two wars at the same time. What's insane is to go back to policies of de-regulation when that is what caused this meltdown in the first place. What's insane is to oppose anything that might benefit consumers and workers when they are the ones suffering the most.

Bin Laden being shot in the head by one of my Seals may give him a temporary boost in the polls but not necessarily help in the reelection bid.

Some of my family in New York and its backyard, Jersey were upset at the idea that he was in a mansion since last August.

Are you implying they are upset that Obama didn't do something sooner?

What's insane is to push through $4 trillion worth of tax cuts while conducting two wars at the same time.

It would be if that was what happened but since we are not in fantasy land and people are smart enough to verify instead of just listening to liberal rhetoric (4 trillion in tax cuts? come on dude)we know that allowing people to keep what they have earned due to dubba ya policies is not a bad thing. Spending like irresponsible teenager with their parents credit card is.

It would be if that was what happened but since we are not in fantasy land and people are smart enough to verify instead of just listening to liberal rhetoric (4 trillion in tax cuts? come on dude)we know that allowing people to keep what they have earned due to dubba ya policies is not a bad thing. Spending like irresponsible teenager with their parents credit card is.

I'm sorry, it's between $2.5 and $5 trillion over a 10 year period, depending on who you ask. You can't forget to count the interest we pay on tax cuts because we are borrowing money to pay for them.

Tax cuts are the same thing as spending when you don't off-set them. They have the same impact on the deficit as spending does. We let all the Bush tax cuts expire, that wipes out 75% of our short term (5 years) deficit. Over the long term (20 years), letting them expire solves about 40% of our problem.

Your post has no basis in facts.

I'm sorry, it's between $2.5 and $5 trillion over a 10 year period, depending on who you ask. You can't forget to count the interest we pay on tax cuts because we are borrowing money to pay for them.

Tax cuts are the same thing as spending when you don't off-set them. They have the same impact on the deficit as spending does. We let all the Bush tax cuts expire, that wipes out 75% of our short term (5 years) deficit. Over the long term (20 years), letting them expire solves about 40% of our problem.

Your point might more validity if you didn't just ignore the expansionist fiscal policies of our corrupt political (constituency feeding) class. Irresponsible spending it the main culprit not taking from workers.

If anything I think this particular turn of events is a good argument that in today's modern times if you are looking to hunt down a kill a specific person, it is much smarter to do it via special operation with a small group of elite troops rather then just waging an all out nation-building war. (let alone 2)

I think it would have been a Iran-hostages moment if it had happened very early in his presidency. At this point, Osama's death doesn't read as anything particularly specific to the person in office.

What this does do is give President Obama an opportunity to make changes in foreign policy that could prove popular, especially among his base. Not the killing itself, but a rapid draw down in Afghanistan operations could help him with the election. Both in terms of ending a war and in terms of massive deficit reductions. Most voters would be happy about that.

Your point might more validity if you didn't just ignore the expansionist fiscal policies of our corrupt political (constituency feeding) class. Irresponsible spending it the main culprit not taking from workers.

You're making a false argument. Tax cuts = spending when they are not offset by spending cuts. And cutting taxes during a time of war is completely irresponsible.

There is also evidence that "starving the beast" doesn't work, and spending actually tends to increase when you cut of Government revenues. Why? Because you never feel the pain of having to pay for stuff. We just borrow and go about our way.

Funny how the right will not admit maybe he is doing a good job, economy is adding jobs the man who planned 9/11 is dead.

And all I hear from the right is this may be a stunt to avoid a closer examination of his birth certificate

I'm sorry, it's between $2.5 and $5 trillion over a 10 year period, depending on who you ask. You can't forget to count the interest we pay on tax cuts because we are borrowing money to pay for them. Tax cuts are the same thing as spending when you don't off-set them. They have the same impact on the deficit as spending does. We let all the Bush tax cuts expire, that wipes out 75% of our short term (5 years) deficit. Over the long term (20 years), letting them expire solves about 40% of our problem.

So you're sayng if the government wasn't collecting the revenue they shouldn't have spent money they didn't have? I agree.

Raising Taxes on everyone is 45% of the solution. Killing UBL is only 3% of the solution of what were talking about.

I'm shocked we didn't put it off til April of next year...

Good as long as you are ignoring the fact that the money that is given in tax breaks and incentives and write offs has to come from some where.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 08:17 AM ----------

So you're sayng if the government was collecting the revenue they shouldn't have spent money they didn't have? I agree.

Raising Taxes on everyone is 45% of the solution.

So the tax cuts should not have happened to begin with since you were in debt and the money on defense should not be spent either.

Don't be ridiculous. It's not like a patrol just happened upon him and got him by luck. We didn't even know for a fact that he was there (believe it or not, this wasn't the first place we raided in the last 10 years). You clearly have no clue the kind of work and planning that goes into this sort of thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42853221/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?gt1=43001

"The bottom line of our collection and analysis was that we had high confidence that the compound held a high-value terrorist target. There was a strong probability that it was bin Laden."

That conclusion was reached in mid-February, officials said. Beginning in mid-March, the president led five National Security Council meetings on the plans for an operation.

On Friday, the president gave the order.

*edit*

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/05/report-osama-bin-laden-is-dead/1

On June 2, 2009: President Obama signed a memo to CIA Director Leon Panetta stating "in order to ensure that we have expanded every effort, I direct you to provide me within 30 days a detailed operation plan for locating and bringing to justice Osama bin Laden."

Obama convened at least nine meetings with his national security team and the principals met formally an additional five times, plus their deputies met seven times leading up to the operation that killed bin Laden. Obama was actively involved in reviewing all facets of the operation.

8:20 a.m. ET, April 29: Obama decided to go ahead with the operation that eventually led to bin Laden's death before he left on a trip to Alabama to inspect tornado damage.

Funny how the right will not admit maybe he is doing a good job, economy is adding jobs the man who planned 9/11 is dead.

And all I hear from the right is this may be a stunt to avoid a closer examination of his birth certificate

Again, you nailed it, only the left is happy UBL is dead.

The worldwide celebration is false.

Archived