Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nebraska draft picks

hskrfan2187

Just thought I would give you a Cornhusker's thoughts on your Nebraska picks (a quick side note, the Redskins may now be my 2nd favorite team :D ).

1. Roy Helu: Roy is going to be a very solid back. He has fast acceleration and a quick first step. He performed well at the combine but he seemed to have been a step slower this year since he put weight on. In 2008 (when he played around 200) he looked like the best back Nebraska had in the last 15+ years (including Brandon Jackson who has been starting on and off for the Green Bay Packers since he was drafted in the mid 2000's). I still believe he's on the level of Brandon Jackson, but since he got up to 220+ he seemed to be fast but not quite as shifty as he was. Overall, I expect him to be a very serviceable back who would perform extremely well in a committee type situation. Even this year (when I considered him a step slower) I constantly saw him outrun angles safeties and LB's had on him (and his combine numbers back up that quickness) so he's still not slow by any means. He also set the Nebraska single game rushing record this year against Missouri (who was rated #7 in the country at the time) with over 300 yards.

2. Niles Paul: I'm going to give you the bad news first, Paul is just not that good. I was very surprised that he was drafted. The guy is an extremely hard worker and probably had the best lifting numbers on the team at his position. However, he is extremely stiff in the hips, runs very upright, has very little agility, and average hands. About the only positive I can say about him is he has very good straight line speed, but that doesn't do you to good in football unless you have the agility to go along with it. I saw some posts on here that said our QB was terrible and that's why he didn't have great numbers. He didn't have great numbers because he's terrible at getting off coverage and has poor route running ability. Brandon Kinnie (who will be a SR. this year) was our go to receiver. Everytime our QB was in trouble, or we needed a big play, it was almost guaranteed he was going to throw it up to Kinnie because he could make the catches Paul couldn't as well as break tackles to create something out of nothing.

3. Dejon Gomes: I'm going to just come out and say it, Gomes is a stud. I would not be surprised to see this guy a starter and in the NFL for a long time. The only reason he was drafted so late was because of his size (I think Mike Brown, a former Nebraska product, proved that size doesn't matter). If Gomes had the body that Prince Amukamara had, he would have been a 2nd round pick. Nobody knows about him because Prince (a now first round pick) was our #1 corner, and Alfonzo Dennard (a soon to be sr. who was our other corner) will no doubt be a first or second round pick as well. So this put Gomes as our Nickel back (and sometimes in a safety position because Bo Pelini thought it was so important to keep him on the field). When we needed a big play (strip, INT, sack) Gomes was the guy who always pulled through.

I'm going to post a highlight video (it's not all Gomes, but it's the only true video that has highlights of Gomes). He is #7 in this video, and he's the one that makes the first hit right when the video starts. For those who don't want to waste their time watching the whopping 5 min video I broke down the Gomes highlights in the video:

0:00 mark,

1:02 mark,

1:48,

1:56-2:20 mark, there are multiple replays of the same INT (pay very close attention to this one. These are the types of turnovers this guy was forcing his entire career.)

2:38, (watch how quick he jumps on the ball, he has intangibles you just can't teach)

3:55 (again, watch how quick he jumps on the ball. Having been to every Nebraska home game for the last 11 years, I can tell you I have never seen a Nebraska corner who jumps on the ball the way he does. Not even Prince Amukamara, who was just drafted in the first round, and not Fabian Washington, who was drafted in the first round in 2005).

4:09

5:10 (this was in the 4th quarter with about 5 min left, we were behind by 5 pts I believe, and if this guy scores we lose. We came back and won but it was all attributable to Gomes.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vV2XSOctw

Summary:

From what I've read on your board it seems that most of you think Gomes was the biggest reach (or most unlikely to perform) out of the three. Looking back 5 years from now, I wouldn't doubt that Gomes is a starter and by far one of the highlight picks of this draft class for you guys. Helu will do good and be very dependable. As far as Paul, I wouldn't expect him to be on the team in 1-2 years.

Husker,

Thanks for posting.

Any chance Helu could develop into a #1 RB?

Well lets say worst case scenario he's a great #2 or #3 back. Best case scenario he becomes a starter. Like I said he was one of the best, if not the best RB Nebraska has had probably since Ahman Green in the mid 1990's. It's debatable if him or Brandon Jackson is better (which still isn't bad considering Jackson has been the on and off starter for Green Bay since he was drafted). My point was, as time passes, I doubt you guys will look at him as a wasted pick.

Having said that, I watched Clinton Portis run all over my Huskers in the National Championship game in 2001. Portis is far and away the better back (at least when he was healthy). So if a healthy Portis is the type of back you want as your starter, you probably don't want Helu starting because he is a step below, but still very good.

so is gomes a corner or a safety? if he's a safety, is he a strong or free?

Correct me if Im wrong huskerfan,

But I believe hes their nickle Corner, but due to the fact that coaches want him on the field as much as possible they play him at safety also....

By how deep I see him, i would guess FS

Correct me if Im wrong huskerfan,

But I believe hes their nickle Corner, but due to the fact that coaches want him on the field as much as possible they play him at safety also....

By how deep I see him, i would guess FS

You are right. They actually created a position for him called the "hybrid." Pelini is very good at getting the best players on the field. He realized that out of our top 11 players on D, we had four studs at corner (3 of which were drafted this year, the other will be next year). So he found ways to get them on the field. So Gomes played more of a Nickel/LB/Safety role which they deemed the "hybrid". Then Hagg, who was drafted in the 7th round this year, was our true Nickel.

You are right. They actually created a position for him called the "hybrid." Pelini is very good at getting the best players on the field. He realized that out of our top 11 players on D, we had four studs at corner (3 of which were drafted this year, the other will be next year). So he found ways to get them on the field. So Gomes played more of a Nickel/LB/Safety role which they deemed the "hybrid". Then Hagg, who was drafted in the 7th round this year, was our true Nickel.

Yes, the hybrid was called the peso set. But lets make no mistakes here, He won't ever be a shutdown corner and he is alittle under sized for saftey but I we will see. Saftey will be where he will have to make it imo.

Quick Question for Gomes, did he perform like that this year??

Just asking because that was highlights from 09 when they still had Suh

Lets put it this way, he had 3 picks this year and 99 tackles (2nd most on the team behind Lavonte David who set a new school record for most tackles in a season). So yes, he did. There just isn't a good highlight video from 2010 that really shows Gomes (at least that I've found).

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 11:23 PM ----------

Yes, the hybrid was called the peso set. But lets make no mistakes here, He won't ever be a shutdown corner and he is alittle under sized for saftey but I we will see. Saftey will be where he will have to make it imo.

Yeah, you're right he is undersized which is why he dropped so far in the draft. I'm just a believer that size doesn't matter as often as we want it to. Obviously if he was 5'7" then that would be a problem, but you being a Husker fan know that we should have offered Danny Woodhead a scholarship, but even though he set a Nebraska high school rushing record not a single D1 school offered him because he was "undersized." Now look at him in New England.

Lets put it this way, he had 3 picks this year and 99 tackles (2nd most on the team behind Lavonte David who set a new school record for most tackles in a season). So yes, he did. There just isn't a good highlight video from 2010 that really shows Gomes (at least that I've found).

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 11:23 PM ----------

Yeah, you're right he is undersized which is why he dropped so far in the draft. I'm just a believer that size doesn't matter as often as we want it to. You being a Husker fan as well know that we should have offered Danny Woodhead a scholarship, but even though he set a Nebraska high school rushing record not a single D1 school offered him because he was "undersized." Now look at him in New England.

As Bo would say."No Doubt" I believe Gomes is a player!

Why is Gomes considered "undersized"??

hes 5'11"/6' 208lb, dont really consider that undersized imo

It's more of how he looks. If you had Prince Amukamara stand next to him you would see that Prince is thicker while Gomes has more of a slender look. So he's not so much undersized in height/weight but a thinner frame...if that makes sense? That same knock is why we were able to nab him out of the Junior College ranks with virtually no competition from the other major D1 schools. My recommendation is just to watch him play, watch how he plays, and watch his instinctive abilities. If you watch those things (and don't worry about how he looks in relation to other corners/safeties) then you would come to the conclusion that the Redskins got a steal in the 5th rd....IMO

I just watched the Nebraska-Mizzou game last night, and i'm very pleased that we have drafted Gomes. He had a heck of a game. It's a safety but in that game constantly was aligning as Nickle or Dime guy. He was over his man in every play. I cold count at least 4 pass breakups in the first half, and he closed that half with an amazing diving intercepction on a long pass from Gabbert.

Horton and Macho better be ready because this guy comes to steal your Job.

hskrfan, thanks for posting. I really like what I see, and you've given me more reason to be excited about our season. Not sure if you've followed the Skins at all before, but do you think he could start over Barnes and Buchanon? As the nickle back, he would get the nod over one of them, if we don't resign stonehands.

Good stuff but now I feel Paul is a wasted pick.

I noticed we picked defenders who get the Damn ball this year. Kerrigan and Gomez create turnovers. Maybe the Shannallahan decided to draft this skillset as opposed to teaching it. Nurture Vs Nature Is creating turnovers an innate ability or can it be taught. Data analysis of College to pros please!!!

Anyways I'm excited about Helu. I think he has a shot in this system to gain serious yards. I also think we have three distinct runners now and thats not inluding James Davis. I think Shanny mixes it up and spreads those carries around like a...............................College offense......

Its a family site after all.

It will be hard to adjust during the game to these differences as it adjusts the angles defensive players take depending on the player. It is another factor in the eqaution that affects some defenders more than others.

I just watched the Nebraska-Mizzou game last night, and i'm very pleased that we have drafted Gomes. He had a heck of a game. It's a safety but in that game constantly was aligning as Nickle or Dime guy. He was over his man in every play. I cold count at least 4 pass breakups in the first half, and he closed that half with an amazing diving intercepction on a long pass from Gabbert.

Horton and Macho better be ready because this guy comes to steal your Job.

He's not going to be a safety. We're not resigning Carlos, and he's going to be our nickle guy.

3. Dejon Gomes: I'm going to just come out and say it, Gomes is a stud. I would not be surprised to see this guy a starter and in the NFL for a long time. The only reason he was drafted so late was because of his size (I think Mike Brown, a former Nebraska product, proved that size doesn't matter). If Gomes had the body that Prince Amukamara had, he would have been a 2nd round pick. Nobody knows about him because Prince (a now first round pick) was our #1 corner, and Alfonzo Dennard (a soon to be sr. who was our other corner) will no doubt be a first or second round pick as well. So this put Gomes as our Nickel back (and sometimes in a safety position because Bo Pelini thought it was so important to keep him on the field). When we needed a big play (strip, INT, sack) Gomes was the guy who always pulled through.

I'm going to post a highlight video (it's not all Gomes, but it's the only true video that has highlights of Gomes). He is #7 in this video, and he's the one that makes the first hit right when the video starts. For those who don't want to waste their time watching the whopping 5 min video I broke down the Gomes highlights in the video:

0:00 mark,

1:02 mark,

1:48,

1:56-2:20 mark, there are multiple replays of the same INT (pay very close attention to this one. These are the types of turnovers this guy was forcing his entire career.)

2:38, (watch how quick he jumps on the ball, he has intangibles you just can't teach)

3:55 (again, watch how quick he jumps on the ball. Having been to every Nebraska home game for the last 11 years, I can tell you I have never seen a Nebraska corner who jumps on the ball the way he does. Not even Prince Amukamara, who was just drafted in the first round, and not Fabian Washington, who was drafted in the first round in 2005).

4:09

5:10 (this was in the 4th quarter with about 5 min left, we were behind by 5 pts I believe, and if this guy scores we lose. We came back and won but it was all attributable to Gomes.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vV2XSOctw

Summary:

From what I've read on your board it seems that most of you think Gomes was the biggest reach (or most unlikely to perform) out of the three. Looking back 5 years from now, I wouldn't doubt that Gomes is a starter and by far one of the highlight picks of this draft class for you guys. Helu will do good and be very dependable. As far as Paul, I wouldn't expect him to be on the team in 1-2 years.

From that video, Gomes looks like a turnover machine. I like that Skins picked him up.

• 3 months later...

Archived