Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Draft in Snyder Era?

skinofwar

Washington Redskins 2011 Full Draft Recap

The Redskins may have added 4-6 future starters in this draft class (probably 2-3 immediately) and several prospects who will add depth for years to come. I'm thinking this is the best draft since Daniel Snyder bought the team, I'm interested to hear fellow Skins fans opinions on this. I would give the draft a B+ grade based on the fact that they did fill needs at several positions, although the o-line was not directly addressed and they still don't have a QB of the future (unless John Beck gives us a surprise). HTTR

Yes, time will tell, but it's the best that I can recall in the past 5-8 years in terms of filling holes and acquiring talent.

Some drafts you just have a feeling are bad even before the players reach the field (aka 2008 Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Tryon, Rinehart, Brooks). Then there is this year where we got a lot of players with high draft profiles that could contribute right away. Of course talent will become clearer once training camp hits.

wayyy to early to tell...

Yep...there's still time for it to turn out to be the best or worst draft in NFL history. You just simply can't evaluate a draft until you see how the players do in the league. I guess you could call this the strongest draft based on immediate expert perception, for whatever that might be worth.

Washington Redskins 2011 Full Draft Recap

The Redskins may have added 4-6 future starters in this draft class (probably 2-3 immediately) and several prospects who will add depth for years to come. I'm thinking this is the best draft since Daniel Snyder bought the team, I'm interested to hear fellow Skins fans opinions on this. I would give the draft a B+ grade based on the fact that they did fill needs at several positions, although the o-line was not directly addressed and they still don't have a QB of the future (unless John Beck gives us a surprise). HTTR

I agree with you but I wish you had not ruined your topic by including Daniel. This was purely a great plan put together by Shanahan and Allen.

I agree with you but I wish you had not ruined your topic by including Daniel. This was purely a great plan put together by Shanahan and Allen.

Well, we can only be thankful that Allen and Shanahan were brought in, it's REALLY nice to see what a REAL front office can do in a draft that meant as much as this one did to the organization. I was merely meaning since Snyder bought the team by the topic description....I can tell after watching Vinny and gang doing their moves in the draft for years that Daniels hands were WAY far away from these picks...The future is bright!

Although it is too early to tell ... I like the first 4 picks and think they can make a nice contribution on both sides of the ball! I went into the draft thinking we would get 2 starters and now I am thinking 4!

4 sounds about right, in time there may be even more out of this draft. It is definitely to early to tell but I for one am excited about getting all this depth and youth.

Yes, time will tell, but it's the best that I can recall in the past 5-8 years in terms of filling holes and acquiring talent.

Some drafts you just have a feeling are bad even before the players reach the field (aka 2008 Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Tryon, Rinehart, Brooks). Then there is this year where we got a lot of players with high draft profiles that could contribute right away. Of course talent will become clearer once training camp hits.

My recollection of the after-draft analysis of the 2008 draft on ES was that we stole the two best receivers, the best TE and Rinehart was a beast. People who thought Kelly and Thomas fell to the second round for legit reasons were universally panned as unknowledgeable about football. In fact, I think the delusion that Kelly and Thomas were superstars in the making continued right up to through training camp last year.

It's really hard to judge players on their college highlight reels. Some guys play a lot better against Louisana-Monroe than they do against the Giants. Others play well at every level. No one will know for a couple of years.

The thing that I'm happy about is the fact that they were able to get VOLUME out of this draft. They took that 2nd Rd pick we got from Jacksonville and for all intents and purposes, got FOUR additional picks and got back the 3rd and 4th round picks we traded away last year. That in itself is remarkable. This front office is doing things DIFFERENTLY. I like that.

And I agree totally

My recollection of the after-draft analysis of the 2008 draft on ES was that we stole the two best receivers, the best TE and Rinehart was a beast. People who thought Kelly and Thomas fell to the second round for legit reasons were universally panned as unknowledgeable about football. In fact, I think the delusion that Kelly and Thomas were superstars in the making continued right up to through training camp last year.

Exactly. The Redskins scored high marks from most experts after that draft and most of us figured Cerrato finally got it right after all these years (after a special thanks went to the Bengals for passing up on a ridiculous Chad Johnson trade offer).

The current draft strategy seems great at the present, but time will tell on those players.

Exactly. The Redskins scored high marks from most experts after that draft and most of us figured Cerrato finally got it right after all these years (after a special thanks went to the Bengals for passing up on a ridiculous Chad Johnson trade offer).

The current draft strategy seems great at the present, but time will tell on those players.

This year someone gave us a C+, think it was Kiper. I remember he was high on us in 2008 for taking Thomas, Kelly, and Davis. Even for taking Reinhart. I think Davis is solid.

This year's draft is interesting. We'll see how the season unfolds. For some reasons, reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer's lone draft:

1-15 (15) - Rod Gardner, Clemson, WR

2-14 (45) - Fred Smoot, Mississippi State, DB

4-14 (109) - Sage Rosenfels, Iowa State, QB

5-23 (154) - Darnerian McCants, Delaware State, WR

6-23 (186) - Mario Monds, Cincinnati, DT

We took a WR and a DT alte jsut liek this season. I don't believe Monds made the team, but Fred Smoot was solid and Sage actually started some games for the Dolphins, but he had a noodle arm when he was here.

I know what I just posted doesn't make much sense, but I'm procrastinating from doing schoolwork... so... there you go...

If we manage to get 4 starters out of this draft, then it is a great draft by any team's standards. I think if we get two starters (OLB & WR) and three rotational guys (DE, NT, RB) then it will be the best 'Skins draft in the last 10 years or more.

Well, we can only be thankful that Allen and Shanahan were brought in, it's REALLY nice to see what a REAL front office can do in a draft that meant as much as this one did to the organization. I was merely meaning since Snyder bought the team by the topic description....I can tell after watching Vinny and gang doing their moves in the draft for years that Daniels hands were WAY far away from these picks...The future is bright!

Just pulling your leg and hoping for a little sense of humor on my part. Nice when Dan the man stays away from anything dealing with selecting players.

Just pulling your leg and hoping for a little sense of humor on my part. Nice when Dan the man stays away from anything dealing with selecting players.

LOL...yes it is man. I can't wait until this lockout is over so we can see if these guys can make the team or not. The lockout is hurting all of the rookies chances of doing a whole lot this season being as their key learning moments are in ota's and training camp.

Archived