Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Culture Change

Sailskipper

SI.com writer Tony Pauline wrote an article listing the top 2011 Draft steals and reaches. Impressive things that I noticed:

1) Of the 14 steals listed, 3 were Redskins picks.

2) None of the reaches are Redskins picks.

I know that when it comes to culture changes, everyone will be focused on the fact that we didnt trade away all our picks, and sign expensive free agents. But I think better evidence is that we both got more draft picks through trades, and we used those picks well to get real value in some draft day steals.

Thoughts?

Here are the blurbs on Redskins steals:

Leonard Hankerson/WR/Washington/Round 3/No. 79: Hankerson's inconsistency and untimely drops pushed him into the third round, yet he possesses the physical skills to be a productive second wide out on the NFL level. He will immediately help the receiver needy Redskins.

Roy Helu/RB/Washington/Round 4/No. 105: Helu was the second skill player the Redskins chose in round four. He's a triple threat running back who will compete for the starting position.

Chris Neild/NT/Washington/Round 7/No. 253: The fact Neild was the second-to-last player selected is mind-blowing. He's a 320-pound slugger who brings his lunch pail to work every day and is a prospect coaches will love. Don't be surprised if he's starting by the end of his rookie season.

[/color]

I have to admit that before we drafted him I had no idea who Neild was. After watching some video of him I love everything he represents. Looks like a blue collar guy but was obviously one of the teams primary leaders. He looks to be pretty much the complete opposite of AH. I love the pick and where we were able to get him. I will be pulling for this kid to do great. Good luck young man, welcome to the family.

I have to admit that before we drafted him I had no idea who Neild was. After watching some video of him I love everything he represents. Looks like a blue collar guy but was obviously one of the teams primary leaders. He looks to be pretty much the complete opposite of AH. I love the pick and where we were able to get him. I will be pulling for this kid to do great. Good luck young man, welcome to the family.

This is the kind of guy I love to see get drafted. I don't care if he has 1/4 of the talent of Fat Al, his attitude and work ethic is that of a Redskin. Here is a good interview of him:

If Neild is starting by the end of his first year then he is the steal of this draft and a candidate for steal of the decade.

He'll have to go a LONG way to top Marques Colston in that category..

of course, it IS a new decade..

~Bang

.....Chris Neild/NT/Washington/Round 7/No. 253: The fact Neild was the second-to-last player selected is mind-blowing. He's a 320-pound slugger who brings his lunch pail to work every day and is a prospect coaches will love. Don't be surprised if he's starting by the end of his rookie season.
Awesome

Thanks for the quote

HTTR

This is what all the whiners ("we drafted 2 rbs and 3 wrs??? WTH?? Where's the line? Where's QB??? [insert name of random player from school I went to/cheer for] was STILL on the board!!!]) are missing: adults are in charge.

We had a board and when our number was called, we picked the best player left. Our board was populated by people who fit into what we're trying to accomplish and have the RIGHT ATTITUDE.

Look at the draft profiles, I see a lot of 3 or 4 year starters, team captains, academic all americans, and dudes who will show up, work, buy in to our system and become part of a team.

.....most other sites say Helu and Gomes were reaches.
I also think we might have reached for Helu

But we were #2 in the RB run of 9 in about 36 picks....so maybe Shanny knew when the run on RBs was starting..... and we got ours

Neild slid in the draft because he tested positive for the ganja at the combine. I don't have a problem with a college kid hitting the bong. (If I did, it would make me a hypocrite to a degree that would shock even Nancy Pelosi) However, the fact that he couldn't lay off the tubes a month prior to a combine he knew he was attending is a bit of a red flag.

As long as that is all done with (and by the way, until the lockout is lifted he's free to roll blunts until he passes out because he won't be tested) I love the pick. Because it looks like we got a guy who was much better than the 7th round slot he got picked at. So his mistake is our reward.

I like our draft, but would have liked to see some more offensive linemen. B

"Tony Pauline" sounds like a bad Vegas act.

But a nice set of quotes there. Especially about Neild. Loving that

~Bang

Mike Mayock compared him to Jim Burt. Not bad company at all there. And if you look at him from the side you can see that he can add another 20 lbs of muscle easily. I think NT will be a platoon position for us. So between he and Montgomery (and a player to be drafted later) we'll be just fine.

Mike Mayock compared him to Jim Burt. Not bad company at all there. And if you look at him from the side you can see that he can add another 20 lbs of muscle easily. I think NT will be a platoon position for us. So between he and Montgomery (and a player to be drafted later) we'll be just fine.

Don't forget Bryant.

I have little faith in any 7th rounders, so if Nelid turns into a guy that can play even 50% of snaps, it is a huge steal. Not expecting much but we'll see.

one of the best nt's in the game jay ratliff was a 7th round pick. just sayin :D

Kelly Gregg -- 6th round, pick 173

Pat Williams -- undrafted

Aubrayo Franklin -- 5th round, pick 146

Jay Ratliff -- 7th round, pick 224

Corey Williams -- 6th round, pick 179

Antonio Garay is another guy to add, taken in the 6th round. Really didn't get a chance until year for the Chargers and was a monster for them.

Archived