Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which group got the best upgrade?

Hitman21ST

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So, now that the draft is over, we can start projecting :silly:

We drafted to 5 main position groups: WR, LB, DL, RB, CB

Which one got the most improved on paper? The current roster is taken off the Redskins website

WR: To Moss, Armstrong, Kelly, Austin, Banks, Furrey, Williams, Johnson, Price - Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul, Aldrick Robinson (future number one and two speed guys)

LB: To Fletcher, Orakpo, Henson, Riley, Alexander, McIntosh, Blades, Jackson, Wilson - Ryan Kerrigan, Markus White (Starter and good depth)

DL: To Kemoeatu, Bryant, Carriker, Jarmon, Daniels, Golston, Holliday, Scott, Haynesworth, Joseph - Jenkins, Nield (Starter and rotation guy at NT)

RB: To Brown, Davis, McNiel, Simpson, Torain, Williams - Helu, Royster (two good one-cut RBs)

CB: To Barnes, Buchanon, Hall, Rogers, Westbrook - Gomes, Thompson (at the very least, depth)

Personally, I think the WRs got the biggest upgrade. We found our future number one guy in Hankerson and two speed guys - to possibly replace Moss once he retires and both could be considered possible returners if Banks doesn't come back. Both the speed guys could also make for some tough mismatches.

I'd say as a collective group the defensive front 7 got the biggst upgrade. As individual positions/units, I think it's a very close call between WR, DL, and LBer. Hankerson could be legit, our own B Marshall, but with the right attitude. The other WRs could do well or could be camp fodder, but we have a starter from that group.

DL we likely have Jenkins as a starter, and Neild has starter potential and will likely see good time rotating at NT.

LBer we have Kerrigan as a starter, who, with his excellent side-to-side, lateral movement, ability to disengage from a block quickly and move to the play, his field vision and knowing where the play is going pretty often, strong tackling skills, strip fumble skills, and repetoire of pass rush moves, professional work ethic and leadership skills, I think will be a big name for us despite the assertions otherwise from a seemingly small segment of fans. And we also have White, who has drawn some comparisons to Quinn and as well has been referred to as underrated, and also has a high work ethic. He should be able to nab a spot as back-up on the outside.

Then again, if we wind up carrying 4 HBs I think there's a good chance it is ATV, KW, Helu, and Royster. So they could be good contributors as well, which would give this unit the push.

Snap judgement, without the benefit of camp and FA to whittle down prospects and reveal potential or flaws, I give the edge to DL since Jenkins will likely start at DE and I feel Neild has a shot at starting NT eventually.

I'd say as a collective group the defensive front 7 got the biggst upgrade. As individual positions/units, I think it's a very close call between WR, DL, and LBer. Hankerson could be legit, our own B Marshall, but with the right attitude. The other WRs could do well or could be camp fodder, but we have a starter from that group.

DL we likely have Jenkins as a starter, and Neild has starter potential and will likely see good time rotating at NT.

LBer we have Kerrigan as a starter, who, with his excellent side-to-side, lateral movement, ability to disengage from a block quickly and move to the play, his field vision and knowing where the play is going pretty often, strong tackling skills, strip fumble skills, and repetoire of pass rush moves, professional work ethic and leadership skills, I think will be a big name for us despite the assertions otherwise from a seemingly small segment of fans. And we also have White, who has drawn some comparisons to Quinn and as well has been referred to as underrated, and also has a high work ethic. He should be able to nab a spot as back-up on the outside.

Then again, if we wind up carrying 4 HBs I think there's a good chance it is ATV, KW, Helu, and Royster. So they could be good contributors as well, which would give this unit the push.

Snap judgement, without the benefit of camp and FA to whittle down prospects and reveal potential or flaws, I give the edge to DL since Jenkins will likely start at DE and I feel Neild has a shot at starting NT eventually.

Love your input elk. I can always trust that you'll give some good information.

I debated putting the entire front 7 as a unit, but I didn't think that would make for a "fair" poll, as you couldn't really make an argument to group the receivers and running backs together.

I think the biggest upgrade overall was a tie between WR and RB, I voted RB only because I'm a huge fan of the Helu pick in round 4...Aldrick Robinson is also lightning in a bottle so watch out.

Unlike some on here, I don't see Jarvis Jenkins starting right away but he will get plenty of playing time and may be starting by mid season depending on play/injuries.

My top 3 for this years draft would have to be...

1 - Helu

2 - Hankerson

3 - Kerrigan

Overall I give this draft, mainly due to limited quantity turned into an overabundance turned into quantity/quality by Bruce and Shanny an A-. There were some other players I was hoping for and a couple got picked a slot or two ahead of our picks, which makes me wondering were Bruce and Shanny targeting the same players I was looking at :ols:

I see what you mean about wideouts, but I think the biggest upgrade was to our front seven as a group. LB and DL both look much better now. We should be noticeably better at rushing the passer and stopping the run next year.

Gotta go WR here with Hankerson Paul and Robinson. While the front seven got a huge boost with Neild Jenkins and Kerrigan, Hankerson can be a true #1 receiver as long as he concentrates more. Paul is a very intriguing WR in the 5th as he's a gifted guy but raw. Robinson is the real wildcard of the 3 as he could become a very dang good slot receiver IMO and he's got the speed to make plays reminds me a bit of Devone Bess but also a faster player

Personally, I think the WRs got the biggest upgrade. We found our future number one guy in Hankerson and two speed guys - to possibly replace Moss once he retires and both could be considered possible returners if Banks doesn't come back. Both the speed guys could also make for some tough mismatches.

Defensive line.

As a unit their level of play was sub-standard; especially Kemo at NT and Golston at RDE.

They were a big part of the reason we couldn't stop the run and the defense was ranked 2nd to last in the league.

Jarvis Jenkins represents a scheme fit at RDE he can play stout against the run and he can 2-gap. (which frees up our ILBs make plays)

He's not really much of pass rusher but neither was Golston and if he can get us to 3rd and 7 then he's done his job and can get off the field to allow a pass rushing RDE to come on.

Chris Nield can at the very least spell Anthony Bryant; who proved to be a positve revelation when at the end of the season when Kemo was hurt.

Playing NT is an acquired skill and he's ahead on the curve because he was a NT in college.

He could become the starting NT.

If those 2 prospect pan out and can just play at NFL starter level then our defense improves a lot.

This is like a trick question. I voted D-Line but I could see why folks voted WR simply because we picked three. But outside Hankerson, the others would likely play special teams. Maybe Robinson replaces Santana if we can't resign him. But an improvement? Moderate. But D-Line, improved more so because of the synergy between OLB and DE. By adding a solid RDE in Jarvis Jenkins, who I believe was a better selection in talent/scheme as well as character than Austin, Orakpo's game improves. No longer do we need to rely on a 285 lb end (Holliday or Jarmon) faking it. We now have our two-gap lineman who can easily (hopefully) eat up two OL. And like wise with the synergy bewtween Kerrigan and Carriker. Our Run D and QB pressure should be way better this year. I think adding these two defenders puts us over the top and we can finally stop New York.

I said DL, although really I meant the entire front seven.

I am now starting to think that you could make an argument for RB.

Shanny compared Helu to CP!! This guy is a burner. We needed the speed.

Regarding Royster, Shanny pointed to his impressive stats, and said he could compete for a starting role too. To become Penn State's all-time rushing leader is a big accomplishment.

Shanny knows RBs. I cannot wait to see these guys play.

I think we'll almost certainly be carrying 4 HBs on the roster this year, particularly given Torain's injury history. Likely 3 on gamedays.

Helu reminded me immediately of Clinton Portis (in this video:

) -- as I posted something or rather in the draftday thread, like Portis, Helu doesn't seem to be very elusive or have a lot of open field moves, but he hits the hole hard and seems to always fall forward for extra yards. He seems like he consistently makes something out of nothing. I felt like a smarty pants ******* when Shanahan immediately compared Helu to Portis in his post-draft presser. Helu, like a young-Portis, seems to also have the ability to take it to the house when he sees daylight. We should now have the depth to keep our running game going when we lose a player or two to injury

At wide receiver, we clearly got a huge upgrade. Moss and Armstrong were our only receivers to catch touchdown passes last year, and neither are a decent red-zone threat. Hankerson will surely be our top target in this area (paging Malcolm Kelly). Receivers notoriously take a while to develop, but it's certainly possible that 3 years from now, Niles Paul or Aldrick Robinson will have emerged as a starting-caliber receiver to surface from underneath Moss' shadow. They can spend the next few years on the bottom of the depth chart, playing special teams, while learning how to be a professional wide receiver. The #4 and #5 WR spots are wide open, and Kelly's lack of special teams acumen hurts him in this respect. Perhaps we could get similar rookie WR production as the Bucs got last season.

It's easy to get carried away, but perhaps Shanahan has found his new-wave Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall this weekend

I think we'll almost certainly be carrying 4 HBs on the roster this year, particularly given Torain's injury history. Likely 3 on gamedays.

Helu reminded me immediately of Clinton Portis (in this video:

) -- as I posted something or rather in the draftday thread, like Portis, Helu doesn't seem to be very elusive or have a lot of open field moves, but he hits the hole hard and seems to always fall forward for extra yards. He seems like he consistently makes something out of nothing. I felt like a smarty pants ******* when Shanahan immediately compared Helu to Portis in his post-draft presser. Helu, like a young-Portis, seems to also have the ability to take it to the house when he sees daylight. We should now have the depth to keep our running game going when we lose a player or two to injury

At wide receiver, we clearly got a huge upgrade. Moss and Armstrong were our only receivers to catch touchdown passes last year, and neither are a decent red-zone threat. Hankerson will surely be our top target in this area (paging Malcolm Kelly). Receivers notoriously take a while to develop, but it's certainly possible that 3 years from now, Niles Paul or Aldrick Robinson will have emerged as a starting-caliber receiver to surface from underneath Moss' shadow. They can spend the next few years on the bottom of the depth chart, playing special teams, while learning how to be a professional wide receiver. The #4 and #5 WR spots are wide open, and Kelly's lack of special teams acumen hurts him in this respect. Perhaps we could get similar rookie WR production as the Bucs got last season.

It's easy to get carried away, but perhaps Shanahan has found his new-wave Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall this weekend

Thanks for the clip. I didn't know he was that fast wew.

WR simply because of how bad our current WRs are (especially without moss). If these 3 guys are all mediocre and fit their lowish draft positions exactly, they are probably 3 of our top 4!

I am just looking forward to Shanahan's low round WR picks outproducing the Vinny Cerrato WRs career numbers within the first 8 games of the season

DL is the most improved for me. µWR and RB picks seems nice, but I'll wait 'til training camp to see what those guys have in tank. DL seems pretty obvious then, with LB right behind.

Regarding the DB draftees, that make me thinks FO doesn't believe both Rogers and/or Buchanon will be back next year and thus need to bring in some competition for Barnes and Westbrook which might be interesting.

OL? Well I'd say it tells two thing, that FA might go in OL direction and that they're not sold on Capers and Cook yet. Hopefully, on of our guys in the roster will start in place of Rabach this year.

I think that our D-line got the most help. Personally, I'm not sold on Kerrigan. He's another project. A D-linemen who has to learn to play an un-natural positiion as a OLB. I think his learning curve will be steep and it will take atleast 3-5 years for him to get the hang of it, by that time he will either be on the street or on anther roster (I hope I'm wrong). DL got two players that can actually play their natural positions and who we can rotate in almost immediatly. WR made some huge improvements and I think RB got some depth, but DL is what benefited the most from this weekend.

I voted WR because if Moss doesn't resign these three along with Armstrong could be our unit. Shanny might be counting on MK never being healthy.

I could have voted for RB and DL too which means we finally have a FO that knows what their doing.

Archived