Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - Rex Grossman, Franchise Quarterback?

Tarhog

Rex Grossman isn't signed and not apart of the roster. He is a FA and the only other QB's on the roster is McNabb and Beck. So how does Grossman come into play? All of these rumors flying about McNabb going to the Vikings and being cut haven't been confirmed by Snyder, Allen, the Shanahan's or even McNabb himself. The last thing that McNabb said about his status with the Redskins was in December when he stated that he wanted to remain in DC. So am I missing something here? Does LaCanfora and the other reporters have more credibility than McNabb himself? I just don't understand why everyone is believing the reports when none of them have been right about anything the Redskins have done or will do since Allen took over as GM or Shanahan as coach. Grossman won't be the starter and won't be resigned. If McNabb is traded or let go then it will be due to us acquiring either Hasselback or Palmer.

Grossman won't be the starter and won't be resigned. If McNabb is traded or let go then it will be due to us acquiring either Hasselback or Palmer.

I think he will be resigned. They just haven't been allowed to resign him yet. The fact that he showed up at those workouts speak volumes.

I definitely think McNabb is done here.

It will be a competition between Beck and Grossman.

Adding another vet could happen. Probably depends on when the lockout ends because whoever we sign we'll have to learn the playbook. Donny Mac had a full offseason and hardly mastered it.

Rex Grossman isn't signed and not apart of the roster. He is a FA and the only other QB's on the roster is McNabb and Beck. So how does Grossman come into play? All of these rumors flying about McNabb going to the Vikings and being cut haven't been confirmed by Snyder, Allen, the Shanahan's or even McNabb himself. The last thing that McNabb said about his status with the Redskins was in December when he stated that he wanted to remain in DC. So am I missing something here? Does LaCanfora and the other reporters have more credibility than McNabb himself? I just don't understand why everyone is believing the reports when none of them have been right about anything the Redskins have done or will do since Allen took over as GM or Shanahan as coach. Grossman won't be the starter and won't be resigned. If McNabb is traded or let go then it will be due to us acquiring either Hasselback or Palmer.

When ever someone says what they are supposed to say but it clearly doesn't make sense, they are lying. Free tip from a fellow skins fan.

i think Rex Grossmen got a raw deal. For the life of me I cannot understand how people can drag his name through the mud and then praise Jay Cutler in the same breath when Rex actually took his team to the Superbowl and with very little talent around him on offense. Rex is actually a first round talent himself, and has every bit of a strong arm as Jay Cutler. They are both the exact same type of Quarterback so it makes no sense to talk about Jay Cutler as some Superstar and then talk about Rex Grosmen like he's the worst QB in the NFL. He's not that by a long shot, and I think he proved that when he got his first start with the Redskins last year and threw for 4 Touchdowns, even with a subpar recieving core. Rex actually has the talent to be a potential Pro Bowl Quarterback. People just need to give him a chance and stop dragging his name through the mud.

Rex is mediocre at best. I really doubt he will all of sudden become a better QB and have a new second life here and become a HOF QB.

He will be serviceable for this year and then in 2012 the Skins will see if 2012 has that franchise QB; though I wouldn't trade everything just to get Luck.

i think Rex Grossmen got a raw deal. For the life of me I cannot understand how people can drag his name through the mud and then praise Jay Cutler in the same breath when Rex actually took his team to the Superbowl and with very little talent around him on offense. Rex is actually a first round talent himself, and has every bit of a strong arm as Jay Cutler. They are both the exact same type of Quarterback so it makes no sense to talk about Jay Cutler as some Superstar and then talk about Rex Grosmen like he's the worst QB in the NFL. He's not that by a long shot, and I think he proved that when he got his first start with the Redskins last year and threw for 4 Touchdowns, even with a subpar recieving core. Rex actually has the talent to be a potential Pro Bowl Quarterback. People just need to give him a chance and stop dragging his name through the mud.

I agree with you slightly. He doesn't have the arm strength of Cutler -- that's for damn sure.

But he's better than people think. I mean, any objective fan has to admit the offense did look better with him under center than it did with bounce pass McNabb. Also, the year the bears went to the Super Bowl he had some great games. I believe he won NFL player of the week at least one. Problem is, he was incredibly consistent and turnover prone. But like you said, so is Cutler.

He's a decent option for us. I would definitely have him and Beck duel it out than sign another guy way past his prime. And apparently so does Shanny.

It's not rocket science. When he's playing well, Grossman is damn good. But he's got that Jekyll and Hyde thing going which he has to work through. Most folks think QB-ing in the NFL is 90% physical and 10% mental. I'd argue it's more like 75% physical and as much as 25% mental. Grossman is physically talented. He's not Michael Vick - but then again, neither are most other NFL QB's. He's talented enough to be an NFL starter though. His battle isn't with living up to the talent requirements of NFL quarterbacking, it's with dealing with the pressure and risk. He exited Chicago as damaged goods. He didn't exit a failed or 'doomed' quarterback. He's been successful at stretches - he's capable of being successful in the NFL. I believe that. But he will have to continue to improve, learn to let bad plays go and not force it, and trust his coaching.

Say what you will, but he was far better in his 3 starts last season than McNabb was prior to that. He moved the ball and looked hungry. I'll take that over sleepy, whiny, and disinterested any day of the week. Whether the Redskins agree with my assessment, well, that remains to be seen.

• 2 months later...
I think he will be resigned. They just haven't been allowed to resign him yet. The fact that he showed up at those workouts speak volumes.

I definitely think McNabb is done here.

It will be a competition between Beck and Grossman.

Adding another vet could happen. Probably depends on when the lockout ends because whoever we sign we'll have to learn the playbook. Donny Mac had a full offseason and hardly mastered it.

DM5 gives a good interview but really didn't respond well to learning the offense. He was overpaid and it pissed people off. DM5 isn't going into some other system except Philly and putting up great numbers.

I agree with the Beck/Grossman competition. I don't like either QB's height being a good 4" shorter than they need to be to see the whole field. That's one reason Grossman is about 50/50 with TD/INT's. Beck is only an inch taller and will throw a lot of INT's as well. I wish their was a chance in hell that Kyle Orton could come to D.C. and take the job when he get's here...He'd do a great job in DC!

Sometimes a QB just doesn't pan out in the long run; this is Grossman.

Sure, maybe a little spark here and there, but nothing resembling a QB worth keeping around much unless you have nothing else to use or lose.

I still can hear the very very loud booing he was getting on a daily basis in Chicago; remember? He's not improved greatly from that time {regarding his performance} so unless he pops out of the funk shell and starts to settle himself down, he might not last the season...

He's not franchise QB material given his injury history. I don't there they're 10 QBs in the league worthy of that tag. Last year people were labelling Vick as a good backup QB at best, so you never know. So much of it depends on system and support. The QB position is so overrated. Look at Cutler's first year with the Bears in the same system that Rex was in - yuck!!!!!!!!

People don't give Grossman enough credit, he clearly has talent, and was instrumental in the Bears playoff run in '06 leading up to the Super Bowl. He played behind a weak offensive line, with minimal offensive talent. Granted, it was the defense that was the staple of the team, and clearly led them as far as they went, but you can't give them all the praise.

The thing is, and I believe someone in this thread has already stated this, he's not mentally prepared week in and week out, he's too inconsistent, and when he feels pressured in the pocket, he tends to make bad plays. But I also believe he came into a situation in Chicago that didn't handle and treat him properly. He never had the opportunity to learn from a veteran, and given his inability to perform under pressure, the Bears didn't do enough to protect him.

He needs a good running back system behind him to take the pressure off him and to make the offense less predictable, I think we have that in DC.

This thread reminds me of that old cheesy movie line.

Your mouth says no, no, no....but your eyes....

If I'm Rex, I've just gotta ask.

Do ya like me?

Do ya love me?

Make an assessment!

Maybe I'll show you my downstair mix-up :)

HA! Now we all know if the Cowboys Had decided to make Rex there starting QB we would all give the Cowboys Hell ! Rex Grossman is a joke. No Im not saying Rex can't show flashes or anything like that.Im just saying before he became a Skin if any team in our division would have decided to make Rex a starter how would Rex been perceived by Skins fans? (please be Honest with yourself)

Maybe Hamskins, but that's also completely beside the point. Now - maybe Beck proves to be Jesus Christ, come down off the cross and carries the Skins to glory on the strength of his mysterious quarterbacking gifts. It's not impossible - there just isn't any evidence he's capable of being an NFL starter. With Chunky McNabb on the way out, or emotionally (and otherwise) crippled if he stays, Grossman is the best QB on this team based on anything we've actually seen. He clearly outplayed McNabb in nearly every aspect of the game closing out last season - and it wasn't close. Do I *really* think Grossman can be anything more than serviceable? No, not really. But he's the best QB currently on the roster, and I also think assuming the guy he is now is the same one who choked his way out of Chicago may be a little unfair. People learn. QBs can overcome their weaknesses with the right coaching staff, and second chances. The thing about Grossman is, he is actually pretty athletic. He can make most of the throws. His shortcomings have always been upstairs.

Personally - I think the Redskins would be wise to go after Kyle Orton. He'd be the perfect gap-filler until we find our young gun. He's only 28, and that would give us a solid starter while we rebuild and would give us enough breathing room at the position so that we don't have to reach in the draft to find the next great QB.

Archived