Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - Rex Grossman, Franchise Quarterback?

Tarhog

Stop booing Roger Goodell for a second. Put down the Yuengling and Buffalo Wings. Take a break from trying to decipher what the hell it is that Chris Berman is rambling about. What’s that sitting unnoticed in the corner of the Washington Redskin’s draft room?

It’s the biggest pink elephant you’ve ever seen.

The Washington Redskins had the chance to draft Blaine Gabbert, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, any number of potential ‘quarterbacks of the future’ yet their burgundy and gold finger never got close to pulling that trigger.

They’ll look to draft Andrew Luck in 2012 say some fans. ‘You can’t fill all your needs in one draft’ argue others. But in all likelihood, if Bruce Allen and Mike and Kyle Shanahan felt they needed a young franchise quarterback, they’d have found one in this draft.

If there’s football in 2011, the Redskins will be a .500 team or close to it. The prospects of the Redskins being in position to draft a top-tier quarterback in 2012 or 2013 are nil. This was an odd year for quarterbacks in the draft. There wasn’t a single young quarterback prospect available deemed a sure-fire can’t-miss star. Each of the top-ranked quarterbacks had doubts, baggage, or concerns linked to him. That was great news for the Redskins. It meant that they had a chance to grab an outstanding quarterback prospect despite having to wait for 9 other teams to make their choices before having the opportunity.

Instead, the Redskins elected to trade out of the 10th pick and fill other needs with their first 3 picks. Springsteen’s ‘I’m Goin’ Down’ has been the Redskins 2011 NFL Draft theme song. That strategy has been met with shock and joy by most fans who are more familiar with a Redskins tendency to give draft picks away like candy, not hoard them like gold.

But this year’s draft approach should make every fan wonder about that big pink fellow in the corner...

Click Here to read the rest of 'Rex Grossman, Franchise Quarterback?'

Good read - and I agree. I think the Shanahan Shanaplan was to not reach on a risky QB, of which this draft was chock full. If one happened to fall to them in the later rounds, hey great, but don't rock the boat for a kid that has more question marks than the health care overhaul. I think the good news is we'll find a QB in the late rounds who will fall to us and he'll spend a year or two learning under Rex Grossman. I'll admit, I was part of the McNabb band wagon when we grabbed him. I have visions of playoffs and beyond in our immediate future. However, it was clear by mid-season to everyone who was watching, that McNabb's best days were behind him. I was excited when Rex came in and our offense moved the ball pretty well. Sadly, our defense did not follow the improvement trend throughout the last few games of the season. I don't think that will be an issue this coming season with the significant upgrades we've made along the defensive line.

My two cents.

Good read - and I agree. I think the Shanahan Shanaplan was to not reach on a risky QB, of which this draft was chock full. If one happened to fall to them in the later rounds, hey great, but don't rock the boat for a kid that has more question marks than the health care overhaul. I think the good news is we'll find a QB in the late rounds who will fall to us and he'll spend a year or two learning under Rex Grossman. I'll admit, I was part of the McNabb band wagon when we grabbed him. I have visions of playoffs and beyond in our immediate future. However, it was clear by mid-season to everyone who was watching, that McNabb's best days were behind him. I was excited when Rex came in and our offense moved the ball pretty well. Sadly, our defense did not follow the improvement trend throughout the last few games of the season. I don't think that will be an issue this coming season with the significant upgrades we've made along the defensive line.

My two cents.

Great points. Let's face it, despite all the typical hype around any one of the QBs available this draft, the truth is that Shanahan may be proven right in not making what amounts to a high-risk grab for one of them. Chances are, one or two of these guys may well prove to be the real deal. The problem is that it may well be guys no one really predicted would make it at the NFL level. I don't think we'll really be able to assess whether the decision not to go QB in this draft was wise or foolish for a couple of years.

Everyone needs to remember/realize that Grossman has actually had half the amount of starts in his career as Jason Campbell has. I cant remember exactly the number but its like 34 or around there. The bears team he went to was somewhat barren with talent. Same with Kyle Orton, he didn't look at all like a half decent QB but then he went to Denver and has been in the high 80's in QB rating the past two years. Believe it or not Kyle Orton has already started almost twice as many games in the NFL as Grossman.

What I'm trying to say is it's possible that Grossman got a raw deal in Chicago and possibly hasn't even gotten enough starting experience in the NFL. If the NFL had given up on Orton after his first 2 years of starting he would have finished his career in the mid 60's in QB rating. As I said earlier he has posted ratings of 87 and 88 the past two years.

Maybe, just maybe, Grossman could develop into a Franchise QB! ;)

Just ask Chicago about this.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for the above to be true. I'm saying it would explain the Redskins decisions so far in this draft. I will say that I don't think a player's success with one franchise necessarily dooms him forever. Players can learn, certain coaches seem to have more success in rehabilitating flawed players than others. It's not an impossibility.

I don't think I could read an article with that title. Grossman is a fine backup, I think. He has the ability to come in mid-game and do some magic (although he has just as good a chance to blow up a lead). Never, ever, will he be considered a franchise QB or even a solid starter.

With due respect to Rex, I think it's just more of an indicment of a weak QB class more than anything else. I would have liked to have picked Mike and Kyle's brain about the QB's in this draft. I also think it's safe to assume Locker would have been strongly considered. I do think it was a mistake to pass on Mallet. I don't care that he is lacking mobility. He has the best arm in the draft bar-none. He can make all the throws - stretch the field - and hit narrow windows I believe. He also is reported to have a high football IQ. I think we definitely should have rolled the dice on Mallet. I don't like weak or average armed QB's no matter what their purported ceiling may be. You have to be able to go vertical with accuracy whether in a dome or the swirling winds of the Meadowlands. A strong arm matters and passing on the best one in the draft, I hope, was not a critical mistake.

I agree Chump. I think he would've been worth the risk. Just as many of the 'top tier' QBs in this draft were wildly over-hyped, the 'downside' on a guy like Mallett was probably greatly overblown. He was an incredible bargain imho where he was taken.

I'd be more inclined to believe this if he were signed.

That's a valid point Destino, although if they don't intend to re-sign Rex, that would indicate they either think they can rehabilitate McNabb or they believe Beck is the future. I think it's more likely they really do believe in Grossman and will work out a deal. Of course the other possibility is that this draft is NOT an indication they feel they have their QB and that they plan to find one. My question if that's the theory is, exactly where are they going to find one? We aren't going to have a top five pick next year (in my opinion) and I really don't see us trading an entire couple of drafts for the rights to draft Andrew Luck. And I don't see us rolling the dice on another veteran QB again after the McNabb debacle. Could be wrong on that front of course. All this adds up in my mind to my conclusion that the Shanahans may love Rex a lot more than we fans do.

Next year's draft class is going to be stuffed full of great QBs. So basically it'll be the opposite of this year's.

Why take a QB in the first this year when you know there's going to be an much better group next year? One scout said he counts "as many as EIGHT franchise QBs" in the class.

Re-sign Grossman, keep Beck, sign someone to compete, let the rookies develop for a year, take a QB next year and get down to business.

You could be correct Xero...guess one of the factors I'm considering is just how long Mike Shanahan plans on coaching in Washington? Shanahan is fortunate to have enough 'juice' and credibility that he's not going to have to worry about getting fired in the short-term even if the Redskins perform badly. But you're talking well into year 4 of the Shanahan era before a young QB could really take be expected to take the reigns in your scenario. Doesn't mean that's not what's going to happen ... just have never gotten the feeling Shanahan and Allen are going to be that patient. I would love to believe you're right.

I haven't made my mind up about Grossman. I love a comeback story. And I see a fire and determination with Grossman that I never saw in McNabb. Let's face it, Grossman has a monkey of epic proportions on his back. I'd love to see him shrug it off and have some real success. Can he do that? I really have no idea. It comes down, not to his talent (he's got plenty of that), it's all upstairs. And thanks Gibbs - ES is and always will be my first love. I will always be a devoted lurker :)

I'm blown away that folk are genuinely making an impassioned case for Interceptus Rexus. Still not in a fit state to read the article, but I'm impressed with the thread.

You should come around more often these days Tarhog my good man when you bring us gems like this.

Hail.

So why not title the article: "Rex Grossman, possible FT starter, but I'm still not sure about him"

That's a valid point Destino, although if they don't intend to re-sign Rex, that would indicate they either think they can rehabilitate McNabb or they believe Beck is the future. I think it's more likely they really do believe in Grossman and will work out a deal. Of course the other possibility is that this draft is NOT an indication they feel they have their QB and that they plan to find one. My question if that's the theory is, exactly where are they going to find one? We aren't going to have a top five pick next year (in my opinion) and I really don't see us trading an entire couple of drafts for the rights to draft Andrew Luck. And I don't see us rolling the dice on another veteran QB again after the McNabb debacle. Could be wrong on that front of course. All this adds up in my mind to my conclusion that the Shanahans may love Rex a lot more than we fans do.

The reason I can't say things are one way or another is that the possibility of a wild card exists especially with a coach like Shanahan that isn't the most easily predictable coach when it comes to picking players. Free agency has been delayed and it's impossible for me to know if there isn't someone out there via trade that these coaches like that would come as a surprise. McNabb and Haynesworth could easily be used to bring in a QB especially a backup from somewhere else that these coaches like. Also there is the possibility of a bad surprise like the Giants signing Rex. They have a history of offering a little bit more than we do for players that hurt us (in losing them) and provide them with a better understanding of what we do. It's unlikely being that they traded for Ronsenfels but you never know.

Point is until the deal is done... the deal is not done. :)

If Rex was under contract right now I would completely agree with you. I also got the impression from the coaches that they liked Rex a lot.

Archived